Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 14th Sep 17, 6:12 AM
    • 2,809Posts
    • 37,869Thanks
    nmlc
    O/S Daily Thursday 14 September 2017
    • 14th Sep 17, 6:12 AM
    O/S Daily Thursday 14 September 2017 14th Sep 17 at 6:12 AM
    O/S Daily Thursday 14 September 2017

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Now light, dry underfoot and wind has subsided, yesterday morning was glorious sunshine although very windy, then it clouded over in the afternoon and we had a couple of very heavy downpours, then sunshine and showers - but the air is quite cool. I do have washing to put out will check the forecast first.

DH up and gone to work stupid stupid early, DS1 now getting ready for work and DS2 still in his pit, will wake him shortly.

Dinner last night was a cheeky takeaway - lovely all eaten and enjoyed by us all, so tonight we'll have the chicken that I got out to defrost for last night, I'll serve that with mash, veg and gravy.

I was on an all day course yesterday and quite a lot of the content I am familiar with due to past experiences but it was good to be out of the office and take part in something worthwhile.

So on to today -

I'm now on days' off, so this morning I need to go into town to visit the bank and building society, then I have all the normal chores to do, I must get some washing done as the dirty wash basket is full and has been all this week although I did do a wash Monday then another Tuesday but it didn't get pegged out due to the weather. I also need to do some housework, house is a bit of a pit, so this is a must.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    Last edited by nmlc; 14-09-2017 at 6:27 AM.
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
Page 1
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 14th Sep 17, 6:14 AM
    • 901 Posts
    • 7,289 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    • 14th Sep 17, 6:14 AM
    • 14th Sep 17, 6:14 AM
    Morning everyone,

Thanks for starting us off

Gers I hope that your mum’s homecoming goes will today.
    Lainey It sounds like LuLu is a real sweetie and that you are really enjoying having her.
    Belated Happy Anniversary LameWolf

My new washing machine was delivered by two very polite and helpful men yesterday afternoon. They took the packaging and the old machine away and connected the new one. Reading through the instruction book, it looks like it will be far more economical on electricity and water usage than the old one, so that’s a bonus. I’ve got a load to go on this morning.

I managed to get out yesterday morning before they came to do the few odd jobs that I needed to in town which was good.

Yesterday it was really windy all day but the rain held off until the late afternoon which was good, but as soon as the rain started the temperature dropped rapidly here and I ended up with a long sleeved thermal vest, a jumper and then a cardigan on at one point. I was determined not to put the heating on. I want to hold out as long as possible now I’ve just had an unexpected expense.

Dinner today will be a chicken and mushrooms with pasta. I saved some chicken from dinner last night, and I’ve got a few mushrooms that need using up. A neighbour gave me some crème fraiche yesterday she hadn’t tried it before and having bought it found that she doesn’t like it. That will make a nice sauce.

Have a good day everyone whatever you are doing
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 14th Sep 17, 6:43 AM
    • 3,467 Posts
    • 39,924 Thanks
    camelot1001
    • 14th Sep 17, 6:43 AM
    • 14th Sep 17, 6:43 AM
    Morning All

Dry and bright here, hope it stays that way. Emptied 2 more hanging baskets yesterday as the garden bin gets emptied today, just the 2 planters to do over the weekend, definitely the end of summer.

The school trip was ok yesterday, a bit boring but the children seemed to enjoy it. I ended up with some challenging children in my group but they were all very well behaved.

DS2 arrives at lunch time, DD is off so she'll pick him up from the airport and they will probably go for lunch, I'll pick him up from hers after work.

I had a really sore throat last night but it seems a bit better this morning, I'll stay out of the swimming pool for a few days.

Hope your Mum is ok and gets home Gers.
    What a lovely surprise MM, enjoy having your family with you.
    Belated anniversary wishes LW, hope you enjoyed your evening.

Enjoy Thursday, take care. XX
    • redruby
    • By redruby 14th Sep 17, 7:15 AM
    • 6,421 Posts
    • 88,727 Thanks
    redruby
    • 14th Sep 17, 7:15 AM
    • 14th Sep 17, 7:15 AM
    Morning all

Brrrr feels very cold here this morning, we have not put the heating on yet but have had a fire for a few nights it does seem much colder much earlier this year.

DD is home from Croatia but still feels poorly she has had food poisoning and is still being sick She is supposed to be at work today but did not get in till late last night and was then ill so is staying off to try and recover.

Something and chips for dinner tonight there are bits and bobs in the freezer so plenty to eat.

I meant to say I went to buy two small bits of smoked haddock the other day as we are trying to eat more fish, the man weighed it out and then said that will be £10.50 for two small bits, I told him I could not afford that and asked for something cheaper, he told me he had salmon on offer and weighed out two pieces of that and told me they would be £8.50 !! I politely turned him down and left it ! cant believe the price of it ATM

LW happy Anniversary for yesterday xx

Have good days all xxx
    Last edited by redruby; 14-09-2017 at 7:17 AM.
    • whiteguineapig
    • By whiteguineapig 14th Sep 17, 7:25 AM
    • 988 Posts
    • 4,377 Thanks
    whiteguineapig
    • 14th Sep 17, 7:25 AM
    red ruby
    i bought some at farm foods this week, smoked haddock and salmon, its frozen so unsure of quality yet , they were £3.99 each pack of 4 bits
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 14th Sep 17, 7:25 AM
    • 1,172 Posts
    • 13,027 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    Good morning and thank you for starting the thread nmlc.
    I am sad to see the end of the summer, many of my friends really love the colder seasons but not me! I'm cold. I've got earache and inflamed sinuses. It is very wet and even in a hooded coat I'll be quite soggy by the time I get to work, and moan, moan, moan.
    We have a retirement lunch at work today, I've done the memories book and I have a lemon drizzle cake and some brownies to take in. I wanted to go to bed before the brownies were cold enough for the lid to go on the box, I'd already given OH and DS any scrappy bits that fell off when I cut it up but son waneed more. Fortunately he has been quite restrained, I would not have wanted to arrive with an embarrassing box containing a few bits. The lemon cake is safe, it would have been very obvious if they had cut into that. I'll have to make them a cake tonight to help them overcome the sheer horror of a cake they couldn't touch. Must remember to get another lemon.
    I have a calla lily (indoors) that has gone a bit flopsical, does anyone have any advice please? I water from the bottom, that is let it suckling up what water it wants rather than letting it sit in water. I'm usually good with plants. I was given a beautiful orchid a year ago and have managed to get it back in flower but I've never had a call a lily before.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • tru
    • By tru 14th Sep 17, 7:25 AM
    • 8,545 Posts
    • 42,673 Thanks
    tru
    Morning

I hope DD feels better soon redruby x

I've abandoned my 'official' exercises, even though I'm supposed to carry on with on them til my hip is better. They took me so far then I came to a standstill, so I faffed about with what feels right and have noticed an improvement after just a few days. I suppose it could all be undone the next time Scampi pulls hard, lol (that's what always happens when a cat dares to appear) but I'm not walking him at the mo so by the time that happens again, I should be strong enough to plant myself to the ground and not let it affect me. Have decided to stop listening to professionals and go by how I feel

My yarn has arrived, I've put it to one side with the half-done blanket ready to take on holiday with me. In the meantime, I'm still doing my cushions.

I have a short list of work things to do today, but mum said she's popping in so I don't know how much I'll get done. The house is pretty much up together so there's no rush to get things done, I'll just carry on pottering and stretching

Bulletproof
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 14th Sep 17, 7:33 AM
    • 15,234 Posts
    • 123,639 Thanks
    JackieO
    • 14th Sep 17, 7:33 AM
    • 14th Sep 17, 7:33 AM
    Good Morning all and a sunny day atm here in Kent ,but due to have a few showers later.After lunch I hope as my gardener is due this morning as the lawn needs seeing to.

DGS Ben comes home today from Japan so I expect I will be hearing all about his adventures. Another week has whizzed by and we are almost halfway through September already !!! time really does gallop on.
    Good to hear your Mum is being sprung from the hospital today Gers Hope she will continue to be healthy and well.

Right the coffee pot is calling me so I must dash
    Take care everyone and have a good thursday

Cheers JackieO xxx
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • dumpling
    • By dumpling 14th Sep 17, 7:53 AM
    • 1,222 Posts
    • 17,090 Thanks
    dumpling
    • 14th Sep 17, 7:53 AM
    • 14th Sep 17, 7:53 AM
    Good morning everyone

Yuk, it's a drizzly cold morning here, Steve has left for work and the girls are all getting ready to go out of the door.

I only had a few hours sleep again so I feel very groggy today but I am sure a coffee or two will perk me up. I have to go to my doctors surgery for the diabetic clinic at lunchtime. No doubt I will be poked and prodded but it's all for my own good so I will happily put up with it.

I am going to make a big dish of cauliflower cheese and serve it with pork loin steaks, broccoli and carrots. My baking tins are depleted so I might make some fairy cakes while the oven is on as well.

MeanMarie, how exciting, I bet you were thrilled when you saw your lovely family a whole week early xx
    Gers, hope your mum is well enough to come home today xx

Hope you all have a great day whatever you are up to, take care xx
    September GC - £321.00/£550
    • snoozer
    • By snoozer 14th Sep 17, 8:44 AM
    • 1,851 Posts
    • 18,164 Thanks
    snoozer
    Gers, I hope everything goes smoothly with your mum - I hate waiting for hours ready to leave but waiting for a letter or prescription.

Puppy was very good yesterday, she keeps me endlessly amused. Just as well because I was brewing up a UTI that I seem to have staved off (fingers crossed). I seem to be lurching from one minor ailment to another at the moment, so annoying.

DH has his final meeting to sign off his redundancy this morning, his leaving date will be 16th December. He's a bit worried that he'll hate it after 40 years of work but i think he'll find plenty to do.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 14th Sep 17, 8:45 AM
    • 1,523 Posts
    • 17,908 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Morning everyone,

Overcast and drizzly here, we have cheered ourselves by having eggy bread for breakfast I seem to be permanently hungry at the moment but was pleasantly surprised to get on the scales this morning and find that have lost four pounds in a week, guess that's all the extra exercise from looking after Lulu.
    Need to go shopping this morning as we have no fruit and very little veg left, have a hair appointment this afternoon so will be nice to sit for an hour or so, think I will take my book.
    Supper will be pork saltimboca with pea mash, another recipe from my £1 meal book, with roasted cauliflower.
    Have a good day folks x
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 14th Sep 17, 8:59 AM
    • 1,654 Posts
    • 12,846 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning all,

Busy evening yesterday but managed to get everything done. Picked the dogs up who were happy to see me. I brought them to my flat while I made myself dinner and packed my bags. Took them to my mums, fed, watered and walked them, then darted off to play football. Went to my flat, gathered more things then went to my mums. User her super good steam iron and ironed some stuff, walked the dogs again and went to my bed.

Alarm went off at 5am this morning so I could take the dogs a walk and still leave on time to get to the gym. It was a struggle to get up but I forced myself. Pitch black and no other dog walkers at that time. Nice to gather your thoughts though.

I've no plans this evening although I might swing by my brothers to see my niece or a might go to my mums and catch up on the holiday. The last option would be to enjoy a chilled out evening and an early night, which seems attractive.

LameWolf - Happy anniversary and you have a wonderful job!!
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 14th Sep 17, 9:09 AM
    • 1,658 Posts
    • 15,175 Thanks
    csarina2
    Morning ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) if you need one.

Gers hope all goes well with your Mum today.

RR you daughter needs to see the Dr. It sounds like a bit more than food poisoning she needs treatment.

Well after yesterday taking OH into town in the car, he is not going with me to the hospital and I have put off a visit to my friend. I will go for my appointment and come straight back. He is going to have to look after himself for a change.

I ordered 6 meals from WFF yesterday, I felt so rough yesterday we had the last two.

I recently bought OH a tablet to read library books on, it has been playing up, so its going back. I rang Amazon yesterday. He needs to finish reading the book thats on it, then I can post it back.

Not sure whats for supper something quick and easy the way I am feeling.
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 14th Sep 17, 9:13 AM
    • 189 Posts
    • 1,951 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    Good morning all

Thank you for starting us off nmlc

Hope DD is better soon redruby

Hope your Mum is home today Gers

Feeling chilly here, will have to get duvet onto the bed. We have only had a sheet and light throw/blanket when needed until now.

Having lunch out, have a voucher 2 meals for £10, so DH will be happy. Will go at about 2.30 when it's usually quiet. So no cooking for me today.

Hope you all have a good day
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • Judi
    • By Judi 14th Sep 17, 10:15 AM
    • 15,059 Posts
    • 61,227 Thanks
    Judi
    Morning all,

Up earlier than usual today ive got a few deliveries coming this morning and i needed to pop down the doctors before it closes for the afternoon.

This should be fun, finding if the telly that Grump has bought fits up the corner where its supposed to go. Its the stand thats the problem more than anything else (i still say the screen is too big but never mind) and he will have to mount it on a bracket if it doesnt fit. He makes these decisions without telling me.... talking about telling me, he was moaning last night that Youngest was on about buying a new telly. "I thought he was broke" he moaned. "Thats why i said he could have 2 years free board!". "How many?" i said. Yes i heard right. I thought he had told him 12 months! 2 years? No wonder Youngest hasnt tightened his belt. Do i have a chat with Youngest? No ive decided, i'm not being the bad guy. Grumps decision, Grump can stand by it! Now if he had come to me first, i'd have advised him different. Still, what do i know? "Dont you agree?" he asked when i looked shocked. "No i do not" i answered.

Talking about Youngest, he is still burning the candle at both ends... Living on 6 hours sleep a night and they are working him hard at work. Still, what do i know?

Well after yesterday taking OH into town in the car, he is not going with me to the hospital and I have put off a visit to my friend. I will go for my appointment and come straight back. He is going to have to look after himself for a change.
    You can only do so much. Last night i forgot to get Grumps aspirin out and i got reminded of it. "Well you know where it is!" i reminded him. I always get his medication out at night but sometimes if i'm busy or stressed, i forget. I'm not perfect. Csarina, your not perfect. Your allowed feelings of anger and displeasure and it wont hurt him to rely on himself for a change.

Nothing irritates me more than being taken for granted....

Onwards and forwards,

have a great day all.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 14th Sep 17, 12:56 PM
    • 9,673 Posts
    • 104,413 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Have decided to stop listening to professionals and go by how I feel
    Originally posted by tru
    I decided that ages ago; both with exercise and with food. I am sick and tired of being told what to do by people who think they know my body better than I do. I honestly think that if you listen to your body, it will tell you what it needs.
    DH has his final meeting to sign off his redundancy this morning, his leaving date will be 16th December. He's a bit worried that he'll hate it after 40 years of work but i think he'll find plenty to do.
    Originally posted by snoozer
    The standard war-cry in this house is "Find yourself something to do, otherwise I'll find you something to clean!"

Judi one of my regular evening tasks is setting out the next day's meds for both Mr LW and myself; but he always says Thankyou when I say I've done them, so I don't mind. His job is to set up the coffee filter ready for the morning.

ETA: Speky, I meant to ask - what sort of dogs does your Mum have? (purely out of doglover nosiness).
    Last edited by LameWolf; 14-09-2017 at 1:00 PM.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • snoozer
    • By snoozer 14th Sep 17, 2:01 PM
    • 1,851 Posts
    • 18,164 Thanks
    snoozer
    LW - I was talking to a friend at the weekend whose husband retired a couple of years ago. Apparently he does no housework at all, I would not be happy. I do know that DH will help, I think it's one of the things having a chronic illness does, there are times I can't physically do things so DH has to.
    • Judi
    • By Judi 14th Sep 17, 2:14 PM
    • 15,059 Posts
    • 61,227 Thanks
    Judi
    Judi one of my regular evening tasks is setting out the next day's meds for both Mr LW and myself; but he always says Thankyou when I say I've done them, so I don't mind. His job is to set up the coffee filter ready for the morning.
    I'm like you, i dont mind, i love doing things for my men but being reminded that i had forgotten his tablet when he could have easily reached for it himself was a bit much in my eyes.

Still, he has a lot of redeeming qualities. You only hear me moan about the bad ones. One day i'll list them.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • Gers
    • By Gers 14th Sep 17, 4:06 PM
    • 5,760 Posts
    • 33,488 Thanks
    Gers
    Afternoon.

DM not coming home today after all. Despite the deluge from the viral gastric bug she's now bunged up! Can't win. Anyway, I've taken in her clothes and had a chat with her. I'm now doing some work on her laptop including mandatory online courses on Equal Opportunities / Data Protection / Freedom of Information and two other riveting topics.

It's really weird being in DM's house without her.

I hope everyone is doing well.
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 14th Sep 17, 5:00 PM
    • 1,654 Posts
    • 12,846 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    ETA: Speky, I meant to ask - what sort of dogs does your Mum have? (purely out of doglover nosiness).
    Originally posted by LameWolf
    She has a long haired border collie and a golden retriever. I actually took a nice picture yesterday in my flat but I can't seem to upload it. I know how fond we all are of doggy pictures here.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

263Posts Today

1,297Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin