Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • aardvaak
    • By aardvaak 14th Sep 17, 5:44 AM
    • 4,130Posts
    • 1,843Thanks
    aardvaak
    microsoft win 10 updates
    • 14th Sep 17, 5:44 AM
    microsoft win 10 updates 14th Sep 17 at 5:44 AM
    Why are microsoft win 10 updates such a major three part long winded excerise that takes forever?

It seems every update reinstalls the operating system everytime.

Has microsoft just lost it's way nowadays?
Page 2
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 15th Sep 17, 8:48 AM
    • 25,728 Posts
    • 10,228 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    But it's still W10.
    All windows versions have been tweaked in some way or another by individuals to get the look they want. Doing so in W10 is nothing new and doesn't really change the OS.
    Originally posted by RumRat

Depends how far you go with it.. Cortana gone, updates blocked. Tracking all blocked.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • RumRat
    • By RumRat 15th Sep 17, 11:17 AM
    • 2,483 Posts
    • 1,352 Thanks
    RumRat
    Depends how far you go with it.. Cortana gone, updates blocked. Tracking all blocked.
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    Nope, sorry, but that still doesn't make it anything but W10 still.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 15th Sep 17, 2:30 PM
    • 1,155 Posts
    • 526 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    How do you completely eradicate Cortana?- sorted, renamed the directory it lives in, after a quick "end task". I block the tracking with Spybot Anti-Beacon.
    Last edited by Frozen_up_north; 15-09-2017 at 2:38 PM.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 15th Sep 17, 2:58 PM
    • 2,704 Posts
    • 1,836 Thanks
    AndyPix
    Windows 10 is great (privacy issues aside - but that can easily be worked around)

I really dont understand all the haters
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 15th Sep 17, 4:14 PM
    • 1,155 Posts
    • 526 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    Windows 10 is great (privacy issues aside - but that can easily be worked around)

Originally posted by AndyPix
    I think it's a few reasons:

1. Folk don't like change, it doesn't seem long since XP and many users have computers which came with XP that are still quite serviceable. There was no free upgrade to Win 10 from XP.

2. The free upgrade from Windows 7/8 to 10 didn't always go without a hitch, Microsoft may not have seen a problem, but some laptops in particular had issues with their hardware not being tested for use with Win 10 and not working correctly (Acer Win 7 laptop - issues with backlight control under Windows 10 for example). A case of users jumping the gun, rather than a Microsoft or hardware manufacturer being at fault.

3. The "mobile phone" user interface, easily made to look and feel like Windows 7 with a free utility like Classic Shell.

4. The privacy issues, easily fixed with Spybot Anti-Beacon. And with a little fiddling around, Cortana can be disabled completely.

5. In the early days, some programs and hardware weren't compatible with Windows 10, hardly a Microsoft issue, but caused bad feeling among quite a few users.

On the (big) plus side, Windows 10 is significantly more secure than XP and more secure than Windows 7. If you want a new Windows computer, it's a one horse race anyway.

This is typed on an Asus Win 10 laptop, works fine with no issues.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 15th Sep 17, 4:28 PM
    • 2,704 Posts
    • 1,836 Thanks
    AndyPix
    Issue 1 and 2 im with you on, but as for issue 3 - I think the new UI is fine .
    Nothing mobile phoney about it atall - are you thinking of windows 8 ?? Now that was garbage

W10 IMHO is the best of W7, with a nice slick interface and a light footprint making it nice and snappy
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 15th Sep 17, 7:49 PM
    • 5,122 Posts
    • 6,527 Thanks
    A. Badger
    I think it's a few reasons:

]
    Originally posted by Frozen_up_north

Up to a point but a significant gripe was the way the changeover was implemented, often forced on users at inconvenient times of day (that actually happened to me). Microsoft fans will defend the company for that but the fact that it has changed its policy significantly says to me that they know they were wrong.

I'm one of the users whose hardware malfunction wasn't solved, incidentally. An internal SD card reader in my Dell hasn't worked since (no fix available, I'm told) and a DVD writer that also doesn't function and which Dell has given up on. I don't think Microsoft has much excuse with a major brand and customer like Dell. It could and should have made sure it didn't break some relatively new products.

That said, 10 works OK with Classic Shell running but I don't find it does anything significantly better than the previous OS (W7) did.
    • J B
    • By J B 15th Sep 17, 10:19 PM
    • 2,282 Posts
    • 728 Thanks
    J B
    3. ...., easily made to look and feel like Windows 7 with a free utility like Classic Shell.

4. And with a little fiddling around, Cortana can be disabled completely.
    As a user of Classic Shell, can I ask what exactly is Cortana?
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 15th Sep 17, 11:09 PM
    • 1,155 Posts
    • 526 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    Originally posted by J B
    It's the personal assistant built into Windows that monitors your typing. Offering assistance while spying on your every word.

The fix that stops it completely is to use Task Manager firstly to navigate to its folder, then attempt to rename the folder (add ".bak" to the folder name), it won't let you while Cortana is running. You then need to stop Cortana in Task Manager and quickly implement the folder name change before it auto starts again.
    • J B
    • By J B 16th Sep 17, 11:50 AM
    • 2,282 Posts
    • 728 Thanks
    J B
    Originally posted by J B
    It's the personal assistant built into Windows that monitors your typing. Offering assistance while spying on your every word.
    Hmm. How come I've never noticed it?
    • RumRat
    • By RumRat 16th Sep 17, 1:20 PM
    • 2,483 Posts
    • 1,352 Thanks
    RumRat
    Hmm. How come I've never noticed it?
    Originally posted by J B
    Had you noticed it and tried it (knowing exactly what you were missing or hating) then that would be .
    However never noticing it at all is just ...
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
    • decbel
    • By decbel 16th Sep 17, 5:24 PM
    • 1,454 Posts
    • 1,526 Thanks
    decbel
    Thursday nights one wasn't a problem.

Mind you I did update and shutdown then went to bed.
    • J B
    • By J B 16th Sep 17, 6:36 PM
    • 2,282 Posts
    • 728 Thanks
    J B
    However never noticing it at all is just ...
    Originally posted by RumRat
    Sorry - not sure what your emoji means .....
    • decbel
    • By decbel 16th Sep 17, 6:56 PM
    • 1,454 Posts
    • 1,526 Thanks
    decbel
    Originally posted by J B
    It was a ford car in the seventies.
    • spenderdave
    • By spenderdave 17th Sep 17, 6:59 AM
    • 407 Posts
    • 231 Thanks
    spenderdave
    Originally posted by decbel
    That was the Ford CortIna.
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 17th Sep 17, 7:37 AM
    • 1,680 Posts
    • 2,118 Thanks
    unforeseen

The fix that stops it completely is to use Task Manager firstly to navigate to its folder, then attempt to rename the folder (add ".bak" to the folder name), it won't let you while Cortana is running. You then need to stop Cortana in Task Manager and quickly implement the folder name change before it auto starts again.
    Or you can just use a simple registry hack

https://www.howtogeek.com/265027/how-to-disable-cortana-in-windows-10/
    • mart44
    • By mart44 17th Sep 17, 9:55 AM
    • 180 Posts
    • 95 Thanks
    mart44
    Not all updates take ages but I leave those that do to just get on with it. Go and make a coffee or do something else for a while. If I don't check manually for updates, I find that they have downloaded in the background and they will then install when the computer is closing down. Not too inconvenient.

I usually clean install major updates and will probably do the same when the upcoming Creators Fall update is available. This may not be necessary but I just feel it makes the system more reliable .

I tried Classic Shell and Start8 when Windows 10 was first released but stopped using them after deciding that the W.10 Start Menu was thoroughly usable. I now much prefer it to the sort introduced in W.95 and used until W.8 was released.
    Error! - Keyboard not attached. Press any key to continue.
    • J B
    • By J B 17th Sep 17, 10:31 AM
    • 2,282 Posts
    • 728 Thanks
    J B
    Originally posted by decbel
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n77yEvuFDsg

• PiratePete
    • By PiratePete 17th Sep 17, 10:59 AM
    • 216 Posts
    • 133 Thanks
    PiratePete
    How Long !!!!
    I use my desktop computer with win7 and tablets / phone and probably turn my laptop running win 10 on once every six months.
    Trouble being it takes about 5 hours for all the bloody updates !!!
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 17th Sep 17, 3:17 PM
    • 25,728 Posts
    • 10,228 Thanks
    forgotmyname

Originally posted by AndyPix
    I have Love/Hate with windows 10. Some good stuff.

BUT.... last night i booted the tablet up, just needed something quickly. Battery getting low, so went to turn it off and then the blue screen.. Do not turn off configuring your system...

Low battery, no charger to hand. Its a race on the updates finishing and the battery dying..

All it needs is a little box, update now or later... But no you do not get a choice.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,676Posts Today

6,647Users online

Martin's Twitter