Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 13th Sep 17, 10:51 PM
    • 4,806Posts
    • 18,690Thanks
    FatVonD
    Sourcing from China
    • 13th Sep 17, 10:51 PM
    Sourcing from China 13th Sep 17 at 10:51 PM
    I need some help, please...

I'm trying to source something that someone else is selling on eBay, not to resell but I want to use it as an embellishment on something else I am making to sell.

I know they originate from China (as it says on the listing) and I can find most other types on Aliexpress and DHgate but not this particular one.

I have placed an initial order with the seller on eBay but as I'm going to be buying in bulk I'd rather buy direct.

Are there other Chinese sites that I should be looking on? I have tried googling the product name, I've put the image into image search and scoured hundreds of pictures but can't find this particular item.

It is a haberdashery item.
    Lunches brought to work in September 6/20 Money saved to date £13.07 (compared to spending three pounds on a meal deal.)

Make £10 a day in September £349.40/300 (August£223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54)
Page 1
    • Brynsam
    • By Brynsam 13th Sep 17, 11:57 PM
    • 185 Posts
    • 172 Thanks
    Brynsam
    • 13th Sep 17, 11:57 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 11:57 PM
    How about sharing the name and image here in case someone can give specific help? Or just the link to someone selling the item on ebay so everyone can see what it is?
    • I have spoken
    • By I have spoken 14th Sep 17, 8:02 AM
    • 4,963 Posts
    • 9,656 Thanks
    I have spoken
    • 14th Sep 17, 8:02 AM
    • 14th Sep 17, 8:02 AM
    >as I'm going to be buying in bulk I'd rather buy direct<

You could negotiate with the seller for a wholesale price off t'Bay.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 14th Sep 17, 9:16 AM
    • 59,085 Posts
    • 41,871 Thanks
    soolin
    • 14th Sep 17, 9:16 AM
    • 14th Sep 17, 9:16 AM

Originally posted by I have spoken
    As long as OP remembers to only do it via email and nowhere near ebay messages
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 14th Sep 17, 9:32 AM
    • 3,082 Posts
    • 1,790 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    • 14th Sep 17, 9:32 AM
    • 14th Sep 17, 9:32 AM
    There is an assumption that everything is found on a handful of web sites, even online.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
    • RFW
    • By RFW 14th Sep 17, 11:58 AM
    • 8,429 Posts
    • 4,902 Thanks
    RFW
    • 14th Sep 17, 11:58 AM
    • 14th Sep 17, 11:58 AM
    There is an assumption that everything is found on a handful of web sites, even online.
    Originally posted by ballisticbrian
    In craft it often is unfortunately. I used to do a few lines in it that were well sourced but as soon as one finds out they're selling well they all pile in.
    Last time I looked an item I was selling well 3 or 4 years ago for £3 is now 40p including postage.

As far as OP goes it could be worth contacting the seller. It could well be a UK base for a manufacturer or higher up.
    • joeypesci
    • By joeypesci 14th Sep 17, 12:06 PM
    • 379 Posts
    • 120 Thanks
    joeypesci
    • 14th Sep 17, 12:06 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 12:06 PM
    I need some help, please...

I'm trying to source something that someone else is selling on eBay, not to resell but I want to use it as an embellishment on something else I am making to sell.

I know they originate from China (as it says on the listing) and I can find most other types on Aliexpress and DHgate but not this particular one.

I have placed an initial order with the seller on eBay but as I'm going to be buying in bulk I'd rather buy direct.

Are there other Chinese sites that I should be looking on? I have tried googling the product name, I've put the image into image search and scoured hundreds of pictures but can't find this particular item.

It is a haberdashery item.
    Originally posted by FatVonD
    Alibaba is a big site people use.

https://www.alibaba.com/showroom/china-bulk-site.html
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 15th Sep 17, 1:43 AM
    • 4,806 Posts
    • 18,690 Thanks
    FatVonD
    • 15th Sep 17, 1:43 AM
    • 15th Sep 17, 1:43 AM

Originally posted by I have spoken
    Thanks, I have asked and she is prepared to discount by 10-20% for bulk orders (through eBay) but she has a rudimentary website, maybe as per Soolin's suggestion I can message her on there (ie not through eBay.)

At the moment I have paid 90p per item, the product is nicer than other similar ones I have found in China which work out to about 20p each but I'm not sure it's 70p nicer!
    Lunches brought to work in September 6/20 Money saved to date £13.07 (compared to spending three pounds on a meal deal.)

Make £10 a day in September £349.40/300 (August£223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54)
    • soolin
    • By soolin 15th Sep 17, 7:11 AM
    • 59,085 Posts
    • 41,871 Thanks
    soolin
    • 15th Sep 17, 7:11 AM
    • 15th Sep 17, 7:11 AM
    Thanks, I have asked and she is prepared to discount by 10-20% for bulk orders (through eBay) but she has a rudimentary website, maybe as per Soolin's suggestion I can message her on there (ie not through eBay.)

At the moment I have paid 90p per item, the product is nicer than other similar ones I have found in China which work out to about 20p each but I'm not sure it's 70p nicer!
    Originally posted by FatVonD
    If you have ever dealt with the seller in the past then you will have their email address in PayPal, or as a business their contact details will be available on the listings under business information.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 15th Sep 17, 10:58 AM
    • 25,692 Posts
    • 10,208 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    Whats the difference between buying your item and reselling it or adding said item to something else and reselling it?

Your still reselling the original item. Your not adding it to the item your making for free are you?

Guessing you want to keep the item private, but without knowing exactly what your buying its hard to say oh yes.. seller ... or website will have those.

If its a business seller then check the contact details down below. Maybe a generic namesnumbers.etc...@gmail or it maybe an actual website names.numbers..etc @ something.com

I always try the something.com to see if its a website or just used for emails.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Brynsam
    • By Brynsam 15th Sep 17, 1:08 PM
    • 185 Posts
    • 172 Thanks
    Brynsam
    No point trying to help if we're playing guessing games.
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 15th Sep 17, 5:52 PM
    • 4,806 Posts
    • 18,690 Thanks
    FatVonD
    Whats the difference between buying your item and reselling it or adding said item to something else and reselling it?

Your still reselling the original item. Your not adding it to the item your making for free are you?

Guessing you want to keep the item private, but without knowing exactly what your buying its hard to say oh yes.. seller ... or website will have those.

If its a business seller then check the contact details down below. Maybe a generic namesnumbers.etc...@gmail or it maybe an actual website names.numbers..etc @ something.com

I always try the something.com to see if its a website or just used for emails.
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    I meant I wasn't looking to buy them to set up in competition with her on eBay, I am using them as an embellishment on a greetings card which will be sold on Amazon.

• FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 15th Sep 17, 5:57 PM
    • 4,806 Posts
    • 18,690 Thanks
    FatVonD
    No point trying to help if we're playing guessing games.
    Originally posted by Brynsam
    I feel your frustration but I was hoping somebody might say 'oh, you don't want to go there for haberdashery stuff, you should go *here*'

I have just ordered the not quite as nice but significantly cheaper version from China, the designer in me wants the expensive ones but in the end it's all going to have to come down to profit margin.
    Last edited by FatVonD; 15-09-2017 at 5:59 PM.

• Brynsam
    • By Brynsam 16th Sep 17, 1:37 AM
    • 185 Posts
    • 172 Thanks
    Brynsam
    Haberdashery covers a vast range of items, so it's impossible to guess who might or might not sell what you are looking for.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 16th Sep 17, 5:21 PM
    • 25,692 Posts
    • 10,208 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    So we know its greetings cards being sold on Amazon. You didnt need to reveal that.

Whats the actual item you wish to purchase?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,811Posts Today

6,642Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin