Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sophdavies87
    • By Sophdavies87 13th Sep 17, 10:18 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Sophdavies87
    Spark energy
    • 13th Sep 17, 10:18 PM
    Spark energy 13th Sep 17 at 10:18 PM
    Hi, looking for some advice, has anyone had dealings with spark energy? My mum and step dad have been trying to leave for years and everytime they do they slap another bill on saying the owe 800 pounds, in the last 6 months they have paid them over 1000 pounds in order to wipe theor apparent debt and switch companies and spark have blocked them yet again sayong they owe more money in the space of 4 weeks, when asked for an itemised bill ect they say they are unable to provide this! My parents are at the end of theor teather..they have no idea what else to do and where they legally stand, any help or advice would be greatly welcomed
Page 1
    • Sophdavies87
    • By Sophdavies87 13th Sep 17, 10:20 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sophdavies87
    • 13th Sep 17, 10:20 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 10:20 PM
    I apologise for any spelling issues i had injections in to both eyes today so they are a bit sensitive but my mum has rang in tears at a loss as to what to do
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 13th Sep 17, 11:12 PM
    • 2,792 Posts
    • 1,723 Thanks
    Ectophile
    • 13th Sep 17, 11:12 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 11:12 PM
    Step 1 - make a formal complaint for failing to provide proper bills.
    Step 2 - if you don't get a sensible answer, complain to the energy ombudsman.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
    • Sophdavies87
    • By Sophdavies87 13th Sep 17, 11:43 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sophdavies87
    • 13th Sep 17, 11:43 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 11:43 PM
    Hi i have spoke to my mum they have spike to the ombusman and apparently gotno where, they went to court and asked for itemised bills which spark has never supplied, been fobbed off by different departments, ny mum suffers woth ulcerative colitis (a form of cowl cancer) and stress sets it off and makes her so ill and this isnt helping at all, which is why im reallu angry its not just affecting her life its her health as well!! Thry jist want to leave have a final bill and never hear from them ever again
    • dogshome
    • By dogshome 14th Sep 17, 8:58 AM
    • 2,926 Posts
    • 1,486 Thanks
    dogshome
    • 14th Sep 17, 8:58 AM
    • 14th Sep 17, 8:58 AM
    Your parents have my sympathy, this behaviour is typical of Spark

I suspect that the reason that they were brushed off by the Ombudsman, is that thay hadn't followed the official 'Complaints Pocedure'

They must WRITE to Spark heading the letter Complaint, listing the number of times and dates they had requested detailed billing which wasn't forthecoming
    Spark must acknowledge reciept of the letter and give them the Complaint registration number - If Spark have not resolved the problem 56 days after the letter, your parents go directly to the Ombudsman
    • Sophdavies87
    • By Sophdavies87 14th Sep 17, 10:13 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sophdavies87
    • 14th Sep 17, 10:13 AM
    • 14th Sep 17, 10:13 AM
    Thank you i will im going down today to get things in motion, i was up till 1am researching and i found information that in 2013 they were fined 250 grand for doing this my nan is suffering with alzhimers so its tipping them over the edge, im not letting them get away with this, do you rhink its worth contacting offgem aswell? I really apprexiate the help you are all very kind for taking the time to help
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 14th Sep 17, 12:09 PM
    • 4,544 Posts
    • 2,711 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 14th Sep 17, 12:09 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 12:09 PM
    Hi, looking for some advice, has anyone had dealings with spark energy? My mum and step dad have been trying to leave for years and everytime they do they slap another bill on saying the owe 800 pounds, in the last 6 months they have paid them over 1000 pounds in order to wipe theor apparent debt and switch companies and spark have blocked them yet again sayong they owe more money in the space of 4 weeks, when asked for an itemised bill ect they say they are unable to provide this! My parents are at the end of theor teather..they have no idea what else to do and where they legally stand, any help or advice would be greatly welcomed
    Originally posted by Sophdavies87
    Contact Citizens Advice and inform them of the issues that you are having. Ask them to refer the matter to their Extra Help Unit which exists to deal with the situation that you describe. You should get a quicker result than going to The Energy Ombudsman.
    • Sophdavies87
    • By Sophdavies87 14th Sep 17, 1:09 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sophdavies87
    • 14th Sep 17, 1:09 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 1:09 PM
    Thank you for your repky i will contact them bow
    • Sophdavies87
    • By Sophdavies87 14th Sep 17, 2:47 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sophdavies87
    • 14th Sep 17, 2:47 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 2:47 PM
    After 2 hours of phone calls and talks woth people after people they have said they will accept a loss and wont stop the new company takinv over the account ..does anyone know what acceot a loss is
    • dogshome
    • By dogshome 14th Sep 17, 3:48 PM
    • 2,926 Posts
    • 1,486 Thanks
    dogshome
    Would be interesting to know if Sparks change of heart was driven by the bad publicity on this forum - We'll never know

For your parents sake Email Spark now thanking them for their decision, (name the person if poss.) to release the account to another supplier without further hinderance
    I know it sticks in the craw to thank them for anything, but it establishes a paper trail you may have need of later on.

'Accept a loss' is virtually meaningless - How much is the loss, 2p, £1, £200 ?
    Keep the file up to date, chances are Spark will send a 'Final Bill' when your parents have Switched, if this is beyond reason or indecipherable make an appointment with your local Cit. Advice Bureau so they can go thro' the paperwork

Congratulations on getting this far
    • Sophdavies87
    • By Sophdavies87 14th Sep 17, 5:32 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sophdavies87
    Thanks, i did explain to the many call takers that i understood this was nit their fault and thry are just doing a job ( i thibk it is easy to lose your head at people that are just providing for families) i did however explain on the phone that any more issues i would be gorced to contact their regulatory body ofgem and conplain as they are breaking SLC laws wgich they have been fined for in the past! I intend to email thanking for the help of the call takers and that i wish for a final summary of payments and charges and once this is done we wish for bo futher cobtact from them or i will inform the obasman and offgem! Luckily my parents have me they have already paid 3259.99 for less than a years worth of energy and they were trying to charge 155 for 14 days worth since trying to switch, what worries me are the vulneravle people out there that are still being advantage of! I had to ring back as they only allowed electricity to be swapped and blocked gas however since the offgem comment they assure me it wont be stopped just have to waot for 5 days till they can attempt a swotch for gas...i would like to thabk you all for your advoce, you have helped loads and after 2 yeards of battles courts ect you have helped me free them from this terrible company
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 14th Sep 17, 6:00 PM
    • 3,825 Posts
    • 1,521 Thanks
    footyguy
    Hi i have spoke to my mum they have spike to the ombusman and apparently gotno where, they went to court and asked for itemised bills which spark has never supplied, been fobbed off by different departments, ny mum suffers woth ulcerative colitis (a form of cowl cancer) and stress sets it off and makes her so ill and this isnt helping at all, which is why im reallu angry its not just affecting her life its her health as well!! Thry jist want to leave have a final bill and never hear from them ever again
    As the matter has already been determined by a court, you can expect no more nor no less than what the court ordered.
    (It may, in exceptional circumstances, be possible to have the matter re-looked at, but I would advise you seek independent legal advice if you think this is what is required)

So what was the findings, orders, etc of the court in your case?
    • Sophdavies87
    • By Sophdavies87 14th Sep 17, 6:35 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sophdavies87
    The papers devlivered to them the day before were lost, my parents had copies that they took on the day but the judge refused to look at it and said you ised it you pay it..so they paid whatever they were told too..its not so much the money now they just wanted rid and to change supplier which they werent being allowed to do eveb though it was resolved and all monies were paid they paid the balance and have an email stating that 3259.99 was paid it total and the matter was closed, which at that point requested to switch but were blocked, this is when i got involved last bight, my parents had given up saying i wouldnt get anywhere but perserverance seems successful and electrocity has been swapped there was ab issue with gas as they blocked that, but i spoke again and they assured me it wont be blocked so new supplier will swap in 10 days (as they have to wait now) although there was mention of a bill of 155 for 13 days worth of electricity... which as it is just them in a 2 bed house are are out all day doesnt seem right hence why we want a fibal bill breakdown
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 15th Sep 17, 9:06 AM
    • 3,825 Posts
    • 1,521 Thanks
    footyguy
    ...the judge ...said you ised it you pay it..so they paid whatever they were told too...
    Glad the position has been all been sorted out, then.
    And your parents have paid up as they were told to.

As a matter of interest, how much did your parents have to pay in court fees to be told that when "you ised it you pay it" ?
    I feel for you...

Good luck!
    Last edited by footyguy; 15-09-2017 at 9:14 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,432Posts Today

7,876Users online

Martin's Twitter