Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • april87
    • By april87 13th Sep 17, 9:22 PM
    • 343Posts
    • 162Thanks
    april87
    Teacher training - Scotland
    • 13th Sep 17, 9:22 PM
    Teacher training - Scotland 13th Sep 17 at 9:22 PM
    Looking to hear some views on teaching in Scotland. I have the opportunity to apply to do my PGDE in Primary teaching through work which would be over an 18 month time period. The course would start in January and I would be returning to work from maternity around that time. I have had experience in a classroom - 2 separate weeks last year, and it didn't appear to not be manageable.

Is teaching really as bad as folk make out of it? Is there a lot of work in the evenings? Is the PDGE impossible with a small child whilst working full time?

Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • gonthemicrobe
    • By gonthemicrobe 16th Sep 17, 11:59 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    gonthemicrobe
    • 16th Sep 17, 11:59 PM
    • 16th Sep 17, 11:59 PM
    I did a PGDE back in 2014-2015. The academic part was ok but the placements were incredibly intense and stressful. There's an element of luck involved too as some schools and situations are much, much more difficult than others.

If you're determined and passionate about teaching you'll get through, but a huge chunk of the PGDE intake are only there because they can't think of anything else to do, which leads to quite a high dropout rate.

My partner hated the PGDE but toughed it out and a year later was working in a school she absolutely loved. I on the other hand bailed from the course halfway through after ageing about 10 years!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,105Posts Today

5,091Users online

Martin's Twitter