Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Coco66
    • By Coco66 13th Sep 17, 9:17 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Coco66
    0 WOW
    Claim in France?
    • 13th Sep 17, 9:17 PM
    0 WOW
    Claim in France? 13th Sep 17 at 9:17 PM
    Has anyone ever claimed for personal injury in France?

Whilst I was on holiday in France I tripped on a step coming out of a bar (hadn't even had a drink! We were leaving because we weren't getting served) and bashed my head. Knocked out, big gash on forehead, bleeding severely. Went to hospital with a collar and backboard via ambulance. Was discharged several hours later, concussion, four stitches in forehead, cut lip, bruised rib, twisted knee and ankle. Had to spend the rest of the holiday in bed, very dizzy. We'd paid extra for a hotel with a pool and spa, couldn't use either!
    Now home and over two weeks later I'm suffering with Positional Vertigo - every time I stand up, sit down, lie down or turn over in bed, I go dizzy.
    While the holiday insurance will pay the medical expenses, I do feel that I need some compensation for my spoiled holiday and my ongoing health problems (no one knows how long the vertigo will last....). I have the medical reports and X-rays and photos of the doorway, including the broken step. I understand that all premises in France are legally obliged to have Public Liability insurance but have no idea how to start a claim - can anyone let me know where to start?
Page 1
    • phatbear
    • By phatbear 13th Sep 17, 9:25 PM
    • 3,415 Posts
    • 3,107 Thanks
    phatbear
    • 13th Sep 17, 9:25 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 9:25 PM
    I cut the top off my finger the other day whilst washing up as a plate broke i wonder if i could claim for compensation from my other half for her not doing the washing up herself or from ikea as the plate was obviously sub standard.
    Live each day like its your last because one day you'll be right
    • bagand96
    • By bagand96 13th Sep 17, 10:53 PM
    • 2,730 Posts
    • 1,689 Thanks
    bagand96
    • 13th Sep 17, 10:53 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 10:53 PM
    Someone else may be able to tell me I'm wrong here...

But I don't think France is a country that has yet succumb to the plague of compensation culture. You may find it hard to pursue this.

Vive Le France!
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 14th Sep 17, 12:00 AM
    • 1,351 Posts
    • 926 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    • 14th Sep 17, 12:00 AM
    • 14th Sep 17, 12:00 AM
    My son slipped going into a foam party while on holiday abroad with us and a friend. .The floor was tiled. He cracked his head on the steps and ended up unconscious and being rushed off to hospital at midnight for scans. He was in for 2 nights. They told him he was extremely lucky! He hadn't had a drink because he was an athlete at the time and it obviously affected him.

Compensation? Never even thought about it. We were just very thankful he was still with us.

This compensation culture we've acquired from across the pond drives me nuts. Why is everything someone else's fault?
    • Coco66
    • By Coco66 14th Sep 17, 9:55 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Coco66
    • 14th Sep 17, 9:55 AM
    • 14th Sep 17, 9:55 AM
    I, and members of my family, have had accidents that were purely that and never dreamt of claiming but due to someone else's negligence in not maintaining their property, I have not only suffered a spoiled holiday but also life-changing injuries. I have a massive scar on my face and a brain injury, the full extent of which is still being discovered. And that's what Public Liability Insurance is for......

I don't need people judging me by their opinion of "compensation culture", I just needed some impartial advice of how to start the process - obviously the wrong place to ask.....
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 14th Sep 17, 12:57 PM
    • 729 Posts
    • 353 Thanks
    Ganga
    • 14th Sep 17, 12:57 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 12:57 PM
    Has anyone ever claimed for personal injury in France?

Whilst I was on holiday in France I tripped on a step coming out of a bar (hadn't even had a drink! We were leaving because we weren't getting served) and bashed my head. Knocked out, big gash on forehead, bleeding severely. Went to hospital with a collar and backboard via ambulance. Was discharged several hours later, concussion, four stitches in forehead, cut lip, bruised rib, twisted knee and ankle. Had to spend the rest of the holiday in bed, very dizzy. We'd paid extra for a hotel with a pool and spa, couldn't use either!
    Now home and over two weeks later I'm suffering with Positional Vertigo - every time I stand up, sit down, lie down or turn over in bed, I go dizzy.
    While the holiday insurance will pay the medical expenses, I do feel that I need some compensation for my spoiled holiday and my ongoing health problems (no one knows how long the vertigo will last....). I have the medical reports and X-rays and photos of the doorway, including the broken step. I understand that all premises in France are legally obliged to have Public Liability insurance but have no idea how to start a claim - can anyone let me know where to start?
    Originally posted by Coco66
    You could try writing to the bar concerned and ask them if they have public liability insurance,did you have any independant witnesses who saw the accident because anybody could say they hurt themselves on the said premises.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
    • martindow
    • By martindow 14th Sep 17, 1:26 PM
    • 7,172 Posts
    • 3,989 Thanks
    martindow
    • 14th Sep 17, 1:26 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 1:26 PM
    You obviously noticed the step going in to the bar but were distracted or annoyed because you thought the service was poor and tripped going out. I don't think you can blame this on the bar (or the step).

Claim your expenses from your insurance and go to your GP to be checked over. This is one to put down to experience rather than trying to sue someone.
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 14th Sep 17, 2:04 PM
    • 10,782 Posts
    • 7,025 Thanks
    Caz3121
    • 14th Sep 17, 2:04 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 2:04 PM
    was their something wrong with the step that you believe the bar should be made responsible for? do you know if they were aware of this hazard? had it been reported previously?
    ...I have visions of the next round of vulture phonecalls..."have you had a car accident in the last 2 years?" "have you been ill on holiday?" "have you ever tripped on a step leaving a bar?"
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 14th Sep 17, 3:02 PM
    • 15,814 Posts
    • 39,535 Thanks
    FBaby
    • 14th Sep 17, 3:02 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 3:02 PM
    but due to someone else's negligence in not maintaining their property,
    Could luck proving it was the broken step that caused the fall rather than your negligence to watch where you were going. It always help when you can go in force in such claim. If you were the only one to fall when thousands of people have managed to go through without falling, well....
    • slinga
    • By slinga 17th Sep 17, 10:09 AM
    • 1,070 Posts
    • 218 Thanks
    slinga
    Positional vertigo can be 'cured' quite quickly.
    There are some ways you can lay down in different positions which will reposition the floating crystals in you ear canal.
    Can't remember the name of the exercise, some are more difficult than others.
    Always works for me.

Google them and try them.

Can't help about the insurance.
    It's your money. Except if it's the governments.
    • meer53
    • By meer53 17th Sep 17, 10:41 AM
    • 8,839 Posts
    • 12,820 Thanks
    meer53
    Don't ever go to Greece, or Turkey, or anywhere else really, The world is full of broken stuff, hazards everywhere !
    • jimd-f
    • By jimd-f 17th Sep 17, 7:04 PM
    • 123 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    jimd-f
    i would try to claim of your own insurance first.
    did the bar owner know you had an accident. was it recoeded in their accident book.
    if your own insurer wont take your claim, or you did not have insurance, then i think you need to do an internet search for a french lawyer and see if they will take your claim, but it may be costly and take a considerable time.
    did you not notice the dodgy step on your way in?
    • knightstyle
    • By knightstyle 17th Sep 17, 9:48 PM
    • 4,347 Posts
    • 1,603 Thanks
    knightstyle
    Unlike the nanny state we live in France actually expect you to take care and if you trip it will be your fault for not noticing an obvious trip hazard.
    That is why there are no adds on French TV for injury lawyers.
    • Lanzarote1938
    • By Lanzarote1938 17th Sep 17, 10:23 PM
    • 430 Posts
    • 1,062 Thanks
    Lanzarote1938
    Positional vertigo can be 'cured' quite quickly.
    There are some ways you can lay down in different positions which will reposition the floating crystals in you ear canal.
    Can't remember the name of the exercise, some are more difficult than others.
    Always works for me.

Google them and try them.

Can't help about the insurance.
    Originally posted by slinga
    I reckon you are thinking of the Epley manoevre. Worked for me too. Just difficult to remember the sequence required so get someone else to help.
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 17th Sep 17, 11:03 PM
    • 2,212 Posts
    • 3,097 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    You would only be able to claim compensation if you could prove negligence - eg if the step was wobbly. If that was the case, then write to the owners of the step (bar? local authority?) and state your case.

Slightly different - we were in a cafe in Brussels and there was a nail protruding from the chair my husband sat on - ripped a hole in his suit trousers. Waiter couldn't be faulted - took the chair out of circulation straight away, checked that my OH wasn't bleeding, asked if it was OK if he took a photo of the damaged trousers, explained that the cafe was one of a chain and gave us a card with the address of the head office. When we got home we bought him a new suit (which we would have had to do whether we got any money back or not), and sent them a letter explaining what had happened and including the receipt for the new suit. We got the money back within a couple of weeks.
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 17th Sep 17, 11:56 PM
    • 1,351 Posts
    • 926 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    I, and members of my family, have had accidents that were purely that and never dreamt of claiming but due to someone else's negligence in not maintaining their property, I have not only suffered a spoiled holiday but also life-changing injuries. I have a massive scar on my face and a brain injury, the full extent of which is still being discovered. And that's what Public Liability Insurance is for......

I don't need people judging me by their opinion of "compensation culture", I just needed some impartial advice of how to start the process - obviously the wrong place to ask.....
    Originally posted by Coco66
    How about someone elses negligence when it comes to health and safety?
    Oh wait! Both my son's and your accidents occurred in non nanny state countries, but at least you could see the step. My son couldnt see the floor.

Where has the massive scar come from with just 4 stitches on your forehead? What brain injury? Your GP should be explaining the exercises to cure your BPPV.
    • slinga
    • By slinga 18th Sep 17, 7:19 PM
    • 1,070 Posts
    • 218 Thanks
    slinga
    I reckon you are thinking of the Epley manoevre. Worked for me too. Just difficult to remember the sequence required so get someone else to help.
    Originally posted by Lanzarote1938
    Yeah, but there is a simpler set of manoevres which are easier to remember and don't require another person to help.

Can't find them yet by googling.
    It's your money. Except if it's the governments.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

113Posts Today

2,161Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• It's the subtle poetry and lyricism of tweets like this that I find so endearing https://t.co/XhSKBCGyXe

• Follow Martin