Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Beenie
    • By Beenie 13th Sep 17, 8:54 PM
    • 1,061Posts
    • 1,129Thanks
    Beenie
    0 WOW
    Warmest (and best) place to go in Feb/March?
    • 13th Sep 17, 8:54 PM
    0 WOW
    Warmest (and best) place to go in Feb/March? 13th Sep 17 at 8:54 PM
    We want to avoid the UK winter. We have been to S.Africa, New Zealand, Ecuador, Mexico and Australia so far. Running out of options now!

Where would you recommend as a safe and interesting place to visit in the cold northern hemisphere months?
Page 1
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 13th Sep 17, 9:51 PM
    • 9,989 Posts
    • 6,388 Thanks
    bigadaj
    • 13th Sep 17, 9:51 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 9:51 PM
    You've missed out Asia by the look of it.

India, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Malaysia, Vietnam, all worth visiting depending on what your interests are.

Costa Rica is good, there's other countries in Africa, Namibia for example.

Probably best to detail your requirements in a bit more detail rather than just warmer than the uk.
    • maman
    • By maman 13th Sep 17, 10:06 PM
    • 16,651 Posts
    • 99,471 Thanks
    maman
    • 13th Sep 17, 10:06 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 10:06 PM
    That time of the year I've been to the Caribbean and Bali, both were warm and sunny
    Caribbean might be a problem this year though.
    • z1a
    • By z1a 13th Sep 17, 10:11 PM
    • 638 Posts
    • 492 Thanks
    z1a
    • 13th Sep 17, 10:11 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 10:11 PM
    North Korea covers the interesting bit, not too sure about the safe bit.
    • ThemeOne
    • By ThemeOne 13th Sep 17, 10:21 PM
    • 1,108 Posts
    • 923 Thanks
    ThemeOne
    • 13th Sep 17, 10:21 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 10:21 PM
    Don't forget the good old Canaries. Would normally be in the low 20s that time of year, and much cheaper than the other places you listed.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 13th Sep 17, 10:52 PM
    • 18,100 Posts
    • 7,429 Thanks
    richardw
    • 13th Sep 17, 10:52 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 10:52 PM
    Uruguay, Brazil.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • bspm
    • By bspm 14th Sep 17, 12:08 AM
    • 420 Posts
    • 635 Thanks
    bspm
    • 14th Sep 17, 12:08 AM
    • 14th Sep 17, 12:08 AM
    Florida

• ldeadman1980
    • By ldeadman1980 14th Sep 17, 6:06 AM
    • 151 Posts
    • 990 Thanks
    ldeadman1980
    • 14th Sep 17, 6:06 AM
    • 14th Sep 17, 6:06 AM
    Sri Lanka is beautiful in Feb <3
    2011 Wins £3512 2012 Wins £1531
    2013 Wins £2946 2014 Wins £1374
    2015 Wins £2800 So Far!
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 14th Sep 17, 9:40 AM
    • 697 Posts
    • 306 Thanks
    WAYT
    • 14th Sep 17, 9:40 AM
    • 14th Sep 17, 9:40 AM
    North Korea covers the interesting bit, not too sure about the safe bit.
    Originally posted by z1a
    The daily average high and low temperatures for Pyongyang in January are −3 and −13 °C.....

We want to avoid the UK winter.
    Geography not on the curriculum at your school?
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 14th Sep 17, 1:01 PM
    • 725 Posts
    • 351 Thanks
    Ganga
    The daily average high and low temperatures for Pyongyang in January are −3 and −13 °C.....

Originally posted by WAYT
    Might be a bit warmer if they start throwing nuclear missiles at the neighbors
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
    • EconomicsGirl
    • By EconomicsGirl 14th Sep 17, 6:11 PM
    • 283 Posts
    • 191 Thanks
    EconomicsGirl
    Can recommend Costa Rica, we are restricted to summer hols but even then was hot and saw loads of wildlife.

Got to cuddle a sloth, saw monkeys, toucan, gecko, raccoons ate evening meal with us, coati appeared at breakfast etc. Plus amazing activities including ziplining, water slides through jungle, rainforest, hot springs, kayaking in Pacific, horse riding, hanging bridges etc. Amazing place and not too expensive overall though trips were pricey but amazing. Felt very safe though we stayed in AI hotel and went on excursions.

Brazil is good too, recommend Paraty and Rio. Rio isn't that safe but if you stick to organised excursions and better hotels you will be fine. We heard gunshots and the hotel said that's normal. Paraty seemed very safe.
    • ruperts
    • By ruperts 14th Sep 17, 6:44 PM
    • 602 Posts
    • 949 Thanks
    ruperts
    The Caribbean and South East Asia could keep you going for a good few more years without seeing the same thing twice. Not too long of a flight either, at least compared to NZ.
    • z1a
    • By z1a 14th Sep 17, 8:03 PM
    • 638 Posts
    • 492 Thanks
    z1a

I wasn't saying about the weather, I was thinking more about being close to ground zero.
    • lady1964
    • By lady1964 14th Sep 17, 8:53 PM
    • 770 Posts
    • 1,016 Thanks
    lady1964
    We spent 10 days in Malaysia last February, 3 days in KL & 7 in Penang across 2 locations - it was hot & humid but we really enjoyed our time there.

I would definitely consider Asia as a winter destination, we intend to spend some time there when we're retired ��
    • hollie.weimeraner
    • By hollie.weimeraner 14th Sep 17, 9:08 PM
    • 1,374 Posts
    • 802 Thanks
    hollie.weimeraner
    We went to St Lucia (Rendezvous hotel) In Feb this year and had a fabulous time. It is a tropical island and we had a bit of rain but in the main it was wall to wall sunshine with temperatures around 30 degrees.

We also visited Sri Lanka a few years ago and did a small tour with a week at the Lighthouse hotel at Gaul and had an equally fabulous time. Weather was hot and humid and we had rain more or less on the dot around 3-30pm every day but one of the best holidays we have ever had with genuinely happy and friendly population.
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 15th Sep 17, 10:06 AM
    • 697 Posts
    • 306 Thanks
    WAYT
    I wasn't saying about the weather, I was thinking more about being close to ground zero.
    Originally posted by z1a
    What does that have to do with..?

We want to avoid the UK winter. We have been to S.Africa, New Zealand, Ecuador, Mexico and Australia so far. Running out of options now!

Where would you recommend as a safe and interesting place to visit in the cold northern hemisphere months?
    Just Trolling?
    • z1a
    • By z1a 15th Sep 17, 5:19 PM
    • 638 Posts
    • 492 Thanks
    z1a
    What does that have to do with..?

Just Trolling?
    Op, said he wanted to escape the UK winter and go somewhere interesting, hence my answer.

Obvious to anybody with half a brain, but not a quarter brain as you seem to have.
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 15th Sep 17, 7:07 PM
    • 697 Posts
    • 306 Thanks
    WAYT
    Op, said he wanted to escape the UK winter and go somewhere interesting, hence my answer.

Obvious to anybody with half a brain, but not a quarter brain as you seem to have.
    Originally posted by z1a
    Considering that the topic is Warmest (and best) place to go in Feb/March? I would suggest that a quarter of a brain is infinitely more than you appear to possess.

I guess you thought that you were amusing, but in fact you are just the thread Troll.

Perhaps you can try suggesting something sensible.
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 15th Sep 17, 7:11 PM
    • 697 Posts
    • 306 Thanks
    WAYT

Originally posted by Beenie
    Are you planning to travel around or to stay put with perhaps an excursion here and there? Two months? Less?
    • lesley74
    • By lesley74 17th Sep 17, 4:44 AM
    • 2,106 Posts
    • 1,303 Thanks
    lesley74
    Thailand and Vietnam, as someone else said. The north of Vietnam may be too cool though. Ho Chi Minh area would be nice and warm. We've been in January before, was really good.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

262Posts Today

1,329Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin