Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • YORKSHIRELASS
    • By YORKSHIRELASS 13th Sep 17, 8:43 PM
    • 4,359Posts
    • 35,394Thanks
    YORKSHIRELASS
    Oh no, bitter courgettes!
    • 13th Sep 17, 8:43 PM
    Oh no, bitter courgettes! 13th Sep 17 at 8:43 PM
    Hi

I made a big veggie lasagne for tea but some of the courgette that I used (donated by a work colleague) was really bitter and tasted awful. I am loathe to throw it out, the intention was to eat half and freeze the rest but I guess it cant be rescued. There is a lot of courgette in there.

Stupid question but should I have been able to tell somehow that this courgette was going to taste bad or have I just been unlucky?
Page 1
    • jk0
    • By jk0 13th Sep 17, 11:54 PM
    • 2,039 Posts
    • 23,421 Thanks
    jk0
    • 13th Sep 17, 11:54 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 11:54 PM
    I thought that was just how they tasted.

I found them vile when I was 8 and have not touched them since. Suggest you do the same.
    • GreenQueen
    • By GreenQueen 14th Sep 17, 9:30 AM
    • 233 Posts
    • 535 Thanks
    GreenQueen
    • 14th Sep 17, 9:30 AM
    • 14th Sep 17, 9:30 AM
    That can be a problem with large courgettes. The ones you buy are picked before they develop the bitterness. Once it is in a cooked dish, I'm not sure whether there is anything you can do.

In future with raw courgette, you could try salting it before you use it: slice/cut into the size and shape pieces you want, put into a colander and sprinkle with salt. Leave it over a bowl/sink for half an hour to an hour and rinse the salt off. You should get quite a bit of liquid off (hence resting the colander over something and not flooding the work surface - learnt by experience!), and hopefully that will take the bitterness with it. Also works with aubergines.

GQ
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 14th Sep 17, 6:23 PM
    • 23,954 Posts
    • 50,303 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    • 14th Sep 17, 6:23 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 6:23 PM
    I thought that was just how they tasted.

I found them vile when I was 8 and have not touched them since. Suggest you do the same.
    Originally posted by jk0
    Very droll. I love a good courgette, me.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • YORKSHIRELASS
    • By YORKSHIRELASS 14th Sep 17, 8:43 PM
    • 4,359 Posts
    • 35,394 Thanks
    YORKSHIRELASS
    • 14th Sep 17, 8:43 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 8:43 PM
    Thanks both, jk you made me smile. I love courgettes usually but will salt them in future just to be sure. The lasagne has gone in the bin, I hate wasting food but couldnt face any more of it!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,051Posts Today

7,324Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks

• Interesting, most people say they would champion a policy from a party they usually oppose. Yet is anyone brave eno? https://t.co/MWYGHunAqu

• RT @MSE_Deals: The MSE deals team are in the office nice and early to bring you full analysis of all the #BlackFriday deals throughout the?

• Follow Martin