Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Arbiton
    • By Arbiton 13th Sep 17, 8:42 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Arbiton
    Roadworks, Complaint
    • 13th Sep 17, 8:42 PM
    Roadworks, Complaint 13th Sep 17 at 8:42 PM
    Earlier in the year I had reason to travel to the Tower Hamlets area of London. I have been to London on several occasions and I was following my sat nav. It was nine at night and dark. There were some road works on my left with a Keep Left sign that I followed. I was driving slowly, and could see a line of traffic cones on my right. Keeping to the left, while observing the cones, my two left hand tyres suddenly deflated. I got out the car to find out why and only by the light of my phone could I see that one of the traffic cones had been placed on top of a very rough kerbstone that was jutting out into the road. I have a witness with the AA agent that I had to call, and because it was now very late - it meant that I had to stay overnight in a local hotel to wait until I could get the repairs done in the morning.
    The tyres on my car were only replaced four weeks previously - I still have the receipt. I had to pay out for a set of new tyres and the hotel costs. The council deny liability and refuse to reimburse me. I followed all the signs and did what any other driver would have done. Do I have the right to ask for reimbursement?
Page 1
    • paddyandstumpy
    • By paddyandstumpy 13th Sep 17, 9:22 PM
    • 891 Posts
    • 392 Thanks
    paddyandstumpy
    • 13th Sep 17, 9:22 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 9:22 PM
    You say you did what every other driver would have done - did every other driver also pop their tyres on this kerbstone?

Also - unless the AA man was present when you did this, he's not a witness. He came as a result of your call to the AA which was as a result of the damage you caused. When he got there you told him what you did. That doesn't make him a witness.

(Another) Also - if there was a cone on the kerbstone why did you drive over it?
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 13th Sep 17, 11:32 PM
    • 1,102 Posts
    • 1,335 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 13th Sep 17, 11:32 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 11:32 PM
    Earlier in the year I had reason to travel to the Tower Hamlets area of London. I have been to London on several occasions and I was following my sat nav. It was nine at night and dark. There were some road works on my left with a Keep Left sign that I followed. I was driving slowly, and could see a line of traffic cones on my right. Keeping to the left, while observing the cones, my two left hand tyres suddenly deflated. I got out the car to find out why and only by the light of my phone could I see that one of the traffic cones had been placed on top of a very rough kerbstone that was jutting out into the road. I have a witness with the AA agent that I had to call, and because it was now very late - it meant that I had to stay overnight in a local hotel to wait until I could get the repairs done in the morning.
    The tyres on my car were only replaced four weeks previously - I still have the receipt. I had to pay out for a set of new tyres and the hotel costs. The council deny liability and refuse to reimburse me. I followed all the signs and did what any other driver would have done. Do I have the right to ask for reimbursement?
    Originally posted by Arbiton
    Yes, you have the right to ask for reimbursement.
    • Retrogamer
    • By Retrogamer 13th Sep 17, 11:39 PM
    • 3,787 Posts
    • 3,772 Thanks
    Retrogamer
    • 13th Sep 17, 11:39 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 11:39 PM
    Do you have any photographs of the cone, sitting on top of the rock that was encroaching onto the road?
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 14th Sep 17, 12:28 AM
    • 2,781 Posts
    • 1,714 Thanks
    Ectophile
    • 14th Sep 17, 12:28 AM
    • 14th Sep 17, 12:28 AM
    You have the right to ask for anything you like - a unicorn, a mermaid or a magic lamp that will grant you three wishes. It doesn't mean that you will get it, though.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
    • LABMAN
    • By LABMAN 14th Sep 17, 12:36 AM
    • 678 Posts
    • 1,123 Thanks
    LABMAN
    • 14th Sep 17, 12:36 AM
    • 14th Sep 17, 12:36 AM
    You could see the kerbstone by the light of a phone but not your headlights?
    • trinidadone
    • By trinidadone 14th Sep 17, 12:42 AM
    • 2,940 Posts
    • 1,107 Thanks
    trinidadone
    • 14th Sep 17, 12:42 AM
    • 14th Sep 17, 12:42 AM
    Hello Arbiton, a big welcome to Moneysavingexpert.com forums. I see from your first posting, that you have complained to Tower Hamlets council, and they have denied liability / turned down your complaint. If you have not already, have you thought about using the councils complaint s policy? am i correct, your complaining, one of the councils cones had deflated your two front tyres, which resulted in costings of staying in a hotel over night???
    Last edited by trinidadone; 14-09-2017 at 9:30 AM.
    Trinidad - The hottest place to go
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 14th Sep 17, 7:23 AM
    • 6,301 Posts
    • 5,070 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    • 14th Sep 17, 7:23 AM
    • 14th Sep 17, 7:23 AM
    am i correct, your complaining, one of the councils cones had deflated your cones, which resulted in costings of staying in a hotel over night???
    Originally posted by trinidadone
    Yes, thats right. One of the councils cones deflated the OPs cones.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 14th Sep 17, 7:48 AM
    • 8,694 Posts
    • 13,265 Thanks
    worried jim
    • 14th Sep 17, 7:48 AM
    • 14th Sep 17, 7:48 AM
    Originally posted by Norman Castle
    I've not had breakfast yet but now you've got me thinking about a lovely scone with jam. Day ruined.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 14th Sep 17, 7:52 AM
    • 26,015 Posts
    • 10,372 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    Replace the whole set of tyres? Did you turn around and reverse into the sharp stone to see if that really did the damage?

I would ask for a magic lamp with a genie, your first wish should be for some headlights and a better satnav.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 14th Sep 17, 8:29 AM
    • 1,102 Posts
    • 1,335 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    Unlike worried jim, I am having my breakfast and almost spat it out when I read this! One of the truly classic posts I've seen on here. Well done Norman, brilliant response.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 14th Sep 17, 8:42 AM
    • 15,430 Posts
    • 13,760 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Earlier in the year I had reason to travel to the Tower Hamlets area of London. I have been to London on several occasions and I was following my sat nav. It was nine at night and dark.
    So we're talking about four-five months or longer ago?

There were some road works on my left with a Keep Left sign that I followed. I was driving slowly, and could see a line of traffic cones on my right. Keeping to the left, while observing the cones, my two left hand tyres suddenly deflated. I got out the car to find out why and only by the light of my phone could I see that one of the traffic cones had been placed on top of a very rough kerbstone that was jutting out into the road.
    You drove into the kerb, in other words. While driving slowly. How do you cope when there aren't cones?

I followed all the signs and did what any other driver would have done.
    The road must have been littered with cars with two flat tyres, then.

Do I have the right to ask for reimbursement?
    Yes. And you have done that already.

However, they've pointed out that the kerb was clearly marked, and you managed to drive into a clearly visible stationary object, causing the tyre damage. The hotel cost was entirely your own choice, arising entirely from your own actions.

You could issue a small claim next - but I really wouldn't expect it to be successful.
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 14th Sep 17, 9:05 AM
    • 1,433 Posts
    • 956 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    Replace the whole set of tyres? Did you turn around and reverse into the sharp stone to see if that really did the damage?

I would ask for a magic lamp with a genie, your first wish should be for some headlights and a better satnav.
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    People always get Genie's wishes wrong. Your first wish should always be for unlimited wishes. Then the OP could drive around with no fear at all...
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 14th Sep 17, 10:12 AM
    • 1,102 Posts
    • 1,335 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    Do you have any photographs of the cone, sitting on top of the rock that was encroaching onto the road?
    Originally posted by Retrogamer
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 14th Sep 17, 10:59 AM
    • 692 Posts
    • 253 Thanks
    sevenhills
    I got out the car to find out why and only by the light of my phone could I see that one of the traffic cones had been placed on top of a very rough kerbstone that was jutting out into the road.
    No one should drive into a kerb stone; what do you mean by very rough?
    If you had headlights on, did you see it?

• societys child
    • By societys child 14th Sep 17, 3:03 PM
    • 4,792 Posts
    • 5,210 Thanks
    societys child
    The rise of the cones, I knew it'd happen one day . .

#conewars

• Joe Horner
    • By Joe Horner 14th Sep 17, 3:49 PM
    • 4,138 Posts
    • 3,624 Thanks
    Joe Horner
    Yes, you have the right to ask for reimbursement.
    Originally posted by Aylesbury Duck
    Also the right to remain silent.
    • mattyprice4004
    • By mattyprice4004 15th Sep 17, 12:24 AM
    • 3,504 Posts
    • 2,928 Thanks
    mattyprice4004
    Hello Arbiton, a big welcome to Moneysavingexpert.com forums. I see from your first posting, that you have complained to Tower Hamlets council, and they have denied liability / turned down your complaint. If you have not already, have you thought about using the councils complaint s policy? am i correct, your complaining, one of the councils cones had deflated your two front tyres, which resulted in costings of staying in a hotel over night???
    Originally posted by trinidadone
    Good night at the pub?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

409Posts Today

5,194Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin