Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • barbiedoll
    • By barbiedoll 13th Sep 17, 8:23 PM
    • 4,795Posts
    • 13,181Thanks
    barbiedoll
    7.5 t lorry load question
    • 13th Sep 17, 8:23 PM
    7.5 t lorry load question 13th Sep 17 at 8:23 PM
    Quick question......

If the front axle on a 7.5t lorry has a max load of 3100kg and the rear axle has max of 6000kg, what is the max load that the lorry can carry?

We've been given 3 different answers to this and can't work out which one is correct.

Lorry is Isuzu, it has a tail lift (not sure if that's relevant)

Any help gratefully received!
    "I may be many things but not being indiscreet isn't one of them"
Page 2
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 15th Sep 17, 8:03 PM
    • 3,540 Posts
    • 7,772 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    The ability to hire 7.5 tonners without the hiree having an O license ended several years ago when VOSA changed the rules. If any hire company is renting out a 7.5 tonner to someone without an O license they're breaking the rules. It is impossible to hire a 7.5 tonner any more for personal use, let alone business.
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    You appear to have made that up.

You need an operators licence if you wish to hire for commercial use. Not for private use.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 16th Sep 17, 2:45 PM
    • 1,610 Posts
    • 1,101 Thanks
    Tarambor
    You appear to have made that up.

You need an operators licence if you wish to hire for commercial use. Not for private use.
    Originally posted by onomatopoeia99
    Good luck finding a company who'll rent you one.
    • Rover Driver
    • By Rover Driver 16th Sep 17, 3:09 PM
    • 1,303 Posts
    • 594 Thanks
    Rover Driver
    The ability to hire 7.5 tonners without the hiree having an O license ended several years ago when VOSA changed the rules. If any hire company is renting out a 7.5 tonner to someone without an O license they're breaking the rules. It is impossible to hire a 7.5 tonner any more for personal use, let alone business.
    You only have to google 'requirement for O licence' to see that it is only a requirement for vehicles carrying goods in connection with any trade or business.
    An O licence is not required for private use.

Some van rental companies may not have any 7.5 ton vehicles, others who have them may decline to rent for private use, although some may.
    • RUSS56
    • By RUSS56 16th Sep 17, 3:18 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    RUSS56
    Ebe I sat my test years ago as well covering up to 7.5t HOWEVER for me to drive any vehicle from 3.5 tone upwards for hire or reward I like every driver had to sit whats called CPC certificate of Professional Compliance ! Even drivers of artics class 1 etc maybe even been driving them for 30 years MUST sit CPC every 5 years and any driver that does not have CPC is not allowed on a public road with that vehicle ! So watch what you are doing because if is the case with you your driving licence could be going home to swansea for the rest of its life !
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 16th Sep 17, 3:21 PM
    • 2,407 Posts
    • 1,566 Thanks
    Car 54
    OK, the first one I picked at random will rent you a variety of 7.5 tonners for private use. Anything heavier is listed as commercial use only and needing an O licence.

https://www.nationwidehireuk.co.uk/trucks-for-hire/7-5-tonne-truck-with-tail-lift-2219/
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 16th Sep 17, 3:24 PM
    • 604 Posts
    • 311 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    Ebe I sat my test years ago as well covering up to 7.5t HOWEVER for me to drive any vehicle from 3.5 tone upwards for hire or reward I like every driver had to sit whats called CPC certificate of Professional Compliance ! Even drivers of artics class 1 etc maybe even been driving them for 30 years MUST sit CPC every 5 years and any driver that does not have CPC is not allowed on a public road with that vehicle ! So watch what you are doing because if is the case with you your driving licence could be going home to swansea for the rest of its life !
    Originally posted by RUSS56
    No, it won't. Driving otherwise it accordance is three points.

The clue in what you've written is clear for all to see. Hire or rewards and CPC, neither apply to joe public who is moving house.
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 16th Sep 17, 3:25 PM
    • 604 Posts
    • 311 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    Quick google shows several who will.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 16th Sep 17, 4:47 PM
    • 26,050 Posts
    • 10,386 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    PFB... 65 of this type, plus they have others and clearly says no O licence needed for private use...

Cannot get more clearer than that...

http://www.pfbselfdrive.co.uk/vehicle_info/cars/7_and_half_tonne_vehicles_01.html
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 17th Sep 17, 8:54 AM
    • 15,496 Posts
    • 13,820 Thanks
    AdrianC
    The clue in what you've written is clear for all to see. Hire or rewards and CPC, neither apply to joe public who is moving house.
    Originally posted by Warwick Hunt
    Not even moving house.

Even ignoring all those 7.5t+ horseboxes and motorhomes, all it needs is a quick look around the paddock at any motor-racing event or steam rally to see a lot of 7.5t+ wagons, all the way to 38t tractors, with "Not for Hire or Reward" on them, usually on the driver's door.

There's a myriad of reasons why people may want larger vehicles for non-commercial use.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 17th Sep 17, 8:55 AM
    • 15,496 Posts
    • 13,820 Thanks
    AdrianC
    OK, the first one I picked at random will rent you a variety of 7.5 tonners for private use. Anything heavier is listed as commercial use only and needing an O licence.

https://www.nationwidehireuk.co.uk/trucks-for-hire/7-5-tonne-truck-with-tail-lift-2219/
    Originally posted by Car 54
    "Mercedes Atego"

<scratches head>
    • barbiedoll
    • By barbiedoll 17th Sep 17, 1:41 PM
    • 4,795 Posts
    • 13,181 Thanks
    barbiedoll
    Wow, that escalated quickly! Thanks for all replies.

My husband works for a haulage company, he carries pretty much the same load, to the same place, every night. Usually in the same lorry.

A few nights ago, his load was substantially increased. He refused to carry it without knowing the exact weight, he is well aware that he would lose his license if he is overloaded.

The OP came from a (quite heated) discussion in his office about how to work out the full load capacity. There were several differences of opinion about how to work this out.

In the end, they got a HGV to carry the increased load and he was sent to a different location that night.

Thanks anyway to all who contributed to the thread, even if it has gone off track somewhat!
    "I may be many things but not being indiscreet isn't one of them"
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 17th Sep 17, 1:51 PM
    • 604 Posts
    • 311 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    Wow, that escalated quickly! Thanks for all replies.

My husband works for a haulage company, he carries pretty much the same load, to the same place, every night. Usually in the same lorry.

A few nights ago, his load was substantially increased. He refused to carry it without knowing the exact weight, he is well aware that he would lose his license if he is overloaded.

The OP came from a (quite heated) discussion in his office about how to work out the full load capacity. There were several differences of opinion about how to work this out.

In the end, they got a HGV to carry the increased load and he was sent to a different location that night.

Thanks anyway to all who contributed to the thread, even if it has gone off track somewhat!
    Originally posted by barbiedoll
    No he wouldn't as the offence of exceeding the plated weight doesn't carry points.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 17th Sep 17, 3:05 PM
    • 26,050 Posts
    • 10,386 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    Something like £1000 for the driver and £3000 for the company.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Joe Horner
    • By Joe Horner 17th Sep 17, 3:59 PM
    • 4,142 Posts
    • 3,627 Thanks
    Joe Horner
    No he wouldn't as the offence of exceeding the plated weight doesn't carry points.
    That's beside the point.

Convictions for overloading are reportable to the Traffic Commissioner and can be used as grounds to revoke, or refuse renewal of, vocational licences by showing the guilty criminal to be unfit to hold one. "My boss said it was ok" isn't a defence.

Depending on the extent of the overloading (we don't know) and any other circumstances (eg: discovered as a result of an accident) that may be more or less likely as an outcome.
    • Dr Crypto
    • By Dr Crypto 17th Sep 17, 4:05 PM
    • 136 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    Dr Crypto
    However, either the OP has an O license in which case they should know or if they are doing a private move, the hire company should have that information.
    Originally posted by bugslet
    Is an O license required for private use? For example someone hiring the vehicle from a hire company to do their own removal (assuming their have the correct endorsement on their driving licence) or a heavy horsebox again for private use?
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 17th Sep 17, 5:52 PM
    • 604 Posts
    • 311 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    That's beside the point.

Convictions for overloading are reportable to the Traffic Commissioner and can be used as grounds to revoke, or refuse renewal of, vocational licences by showing the guilty criminal to be unfit to hold one. "My boss said it was ok" isn't a defence.

Depending on the extent of the overloading (we don't know) and any other circumstances (eg: discovered as a result of an accident) that may be more or less likely as an outcome.
    Originally posted by Joe Horner
    Exactly, if stopped by the police 1-5% is only a warning. 6-10% is a non endorsable ticket. Over that and it's straight to court.
    • Joe Horner
    • By Joe Horner 17th Sep 17, 7:26 PM
    • 4,142 Posts
    • 3,627 Thanks
    Joe Horner
    Exactly, if stopped by the police 1-5% is only a warning. 6-10% is a non endorsable ticket. Over that and it's straight to court.
    yes, but even a non-endorsable FP goes on the driver's record and can be grounds for the Traffic Commissioner to refuse renewal of a vocational licence.

The only defences are

(1) if you're on your way to the nearest (from where you loaded) weighbridge, or

(2) if the vehicle wasn't overloaded when you started the journey and the cargo has increased its weight while you were driving without having any extra load added.
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 17th Sep 17, 7:46 PM
    • 604 Posts
    • 311 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    yes, but even a non-endorsable FP goes on the driver's record and can be grounds for the Traffic Commissioner to refuse renewal of a vocational licence.

The only defences are

(1) if you're on your way to the nearest (from where you loaded) weighbridge, or

(2) if the vehicle wasn't overloaded when you started the journey and the cargo has increased its weight while you were driving without having any extra load added.
    So where is the non endorsable ticket recorded?
    • Joe Horner
    • By Joe Horner 17th Sep 17, 8:07 PM
    • 4,142 Posts
    • 3,627 Thanks
    Joe Horner
    So where is the non endorsable ticket recorded?
    It's recorded exactly the same way that any ticket issued by the police is recorded - just because there's no licence endorsement doesn't mean they don't keep a note of it y'know!

But more than that, if the police deem it appropriate in all the circumstances, they can refer it to the Traffic Commissioner for the area as a question of fitness to drive vocationally. His options (up to and including licence revocation) are entirely separate from the DVLA points scheme.
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 17th Sep 17, 8:49 PM
    • 604 Posts
    • 311 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    It's recorded exactly the same way that any ticket issued by the police is recorded - just because there's no licence endorsement doesn't mean they don't keep a note of it y'know!

But more than that, if the police deem it appropriate in all the circumstances, they can refer it to the Traffic Commissioner for the area as a question of fitness to drive vocationally. His options (up to and including licence revocation) are entirely separate from the DVLA points scheme.
    With a non endorsable ticket nothing is recoded against the driver number/licence.

They won't inform the traffic commissioner if a ticket is issued.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,018Posts Today

7,369Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks

• Interesting, most people say they would champion a policy from a party they usually oppose. Yet is anyone brave eno? https://t.co/MWYGHunAqu

• RT @MSE_Deals: The MSE deals team are in the office nice and early to bring you full analysis of all the #BlackFriday deals throughout the?

• Follow Martin