Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • barbiedoll
    • By barbiedoll 13th Sep 17, 8:23 PM
    • 4,792Posts
    • 13,174Thanks
    barbiedoll
    7.5 t lorry load question
    • 13th Sep 17, 8:23 PM
    7.5 t lorry load question 13th Sep 17 at 8:23 PM
    Quick question......

If the front axle on a 7.5t lorry has a max load of 3100kg and the rear axle has max of 6000kg, what is the max load that the lorry can carry?

We've been given 3 different answers to this and can't work out which one is correct.

Lorry is Isuzu, it has a tail lift (not sure if that's relevant)

Any help gratefully received!
    "I may be many things but not being indiscreet isn't one of them"
Page 1
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 13th Sep 17, 8:31 PM
    • 4,582 Posts
    • 3,986 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    • 13th Sep 17, 8:31 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 8:31 PM
    7.5T minus the weight of the truck prior to loading, with no greater than 3T front axle load and 6T rear axle load.

The truck has a MGVW of 7.5T - the clue is in the name. The maximum load will depend on the weight of the truck.
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 13th Sep 17, 9:09 PM
    • 563 Posts
    • 295 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    • 13th Sep 17, 9:09 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 9:09 PM
    Quick question......

If the front axle on a 7.5t lorry has a max load of 3100kg and the rear axle has max of 6000kg, what is the max load that the lorry can carry?

We've been given 3 different answers to this and can't work out which one is correct.

Originally posted by barbiedoll
    It is given the fact it's already carrying extra weight on the rear.
    • MEM62
    • By MEM62 14th Sep 17, 4:24 PM
    • 1,373 Posts
    • 987 Thanks
    MEM62
    • 14th Sep 17, 4:24 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 4:24 PM
    The truck should be plated and this will give you the information you need.

But I have to ask why you would pose this question on a forum? This truck should normally be operated under an Operator's License and both the license holder and driver should be trained in these matters. This is the most basic of questions.
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 14th Sep 17, 4:37 PM
    • 3,972 Posts
    • 3,391 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    • 14th Sep 17, 4:37 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 4:37 PM

But I have to ask why you would pose this question on a forum? This truck should normally be operated under an Operator's License and both the license holder and driver should be trained in these matters. This is the most basic of questions.
    Originally posted by MEM62

Whilst I agree with you in principle, it's possible the OP has simply hired the van to shift some household stuff around. If, like me, you passed your test a long time ago, you can drive a 7.5 ton lorry on a car licence with no specific additional training.

Of course, that in no way gives you any excuse for not knowing the relevant laws regarding the driving of it - weight limits, speed limits etc. !
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 14th Sep 17, 5:11 PM
    • 563 Posts
    • 295 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    • 14th Sep 17, 5:11 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 5:11 PM
    Whilst I agree with you in principle, it's possible the OP has simply hired the van to shift some household stuff around. If, like me, you passed your test a long time ago, you can drive a 7.5 ton lorry on a car licence with no specific additional training.

Of course, that in no way gives you any excuse for not knowing the relevant laws regarding the driving of it - weight limits, speed limits etc. !
    Originally posted by Ebe Scrooge
    Added to that you can even drive one with a 750kg trailer.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 14th Sep 17, 5:15 PM
    • 26,015 Posts
    • 10,372 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 14th Sep 17, 5:15 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 5:15 PM
    6000kg on the rear axle sounds totally wrong.

The weights are usually something like 3700kg on the front axle and 4200kg on the rear axle.

The combined axle weights will usually be slightly more than the vehicles gross weight. But the gross weight still stands. You must not exceed that.

And a 7.5 ton vehicle can weigh more than you may think. We had several that weight over 4.25 tons unladen. Add in another 250kg to fill the dual tanks and you have a max load limit of just 3 tons.

A tail lift would also reduce the loading capacity.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 14th Sep 17, 7:08 PM
    • 1,530 Posts
    • 1,054 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 14th Sep 17, 7:08 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 7:08 PM
    Quick question......

Originally posted by barbiedoll
    The GVW is the maximum weight the vehicle can be fully loaded.

The axle weights are the maximum weight load that can be placed on each axle.

If you exceed either the GVW of 7.5t or any of the individual axle weights then you are committing an offence of overloading.

Depending on how badly loaded it is it is possible to exceed the axle weight (usually the front axle) but still be under the 7.5t limit. The fact you are under the 7.5t limit wouldn't prevent you from being prosecuted.
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 14th Sep 17, 7:18 PM
    • 563 Posts
    • 295 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    • 14th Sep 17, 7:18 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 7:18 PM
    The GVW is the maximum weight the vehicle can be fully loaded.

The axle weights are the maximum weight load that can be placed on each axle.

If you exceed either the GVW of 7.5t or any of the individual axle weights then you are committing an offence of overloading.

Depending on how badly loaded it is it is possible to exceed the axle weight (usually the front axle) but still be under the 7.5t limit. The fact you are under the 7.5t limit wouldn't prevent you from being prosecuted.
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    And prohibited from moving it unti you reduce the weight.
    • bugslet
    • By bugslet 15th Sep 17, 10:53 AM
    • 5,666 Posts
    • 27,888 Thanks
    bugslet

And a 7.5 ton vehicle can weigh more than you may think. We had several that weight over 4.25 tons unladen. Add in another 250kg to fill the dual tanks and you have a max load limit of just 3 tons.

A tail lift would also reduce the loading capacity.
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    Our 7.5s ( without tail lifts) generally carry around 2600-2700 kgs. IIRC Isuzus are a lightweigh vehicle, wouldn't be surprised if they carried over 3000 kgs, especially if it is an ultra lightweight body.

However, either the OP has an O license in which case they should know or if they are doing a private move, the hire company should have that information.

If you really want to check yourself, run the vehicle over a weighbridge with the driver and a full tank of fuel in.
    • MEM62
    • By MEM62 15th Sep 17, 11:51 AM
    • 1,373 Posts
    • 987 Thanks
    MEM62

Originally posted by Ebe Scrooge

Absolutely, hence my caviat normally.

It is worrying that that the OP may be using the vehicle without any knowledge of the vehicle or how to operate it safely and legally. There are a couple of cowboy haulage firms around here that 'hire' vehicles in order to circumvent the licensing regulations. Makes a mockery of both the system and those of us that went to the time and expense of becoming CPC holders.
    • Iceweasel
    • By Iceweasel 15th Sep 17, 12:02 PM
    • 4,242 Posts
    • 3,089 Thanks
    Iceweasel
    It's very easy to overload the front axle on a 7.5 tonner by innocently putting big heavy items in first so putting them hard up against the back wall next to the cab.

We used to have a sleeper-cab 7.5 tonner which only had a capacity of 2450Kg - but we were carrying large bulky lightweight stuff.

Anyone moving house for example needs to think carefully about the loading order to keep heavy things to the rear /over the back axle.
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 15th Sep 17, 12:04 PM
    • 3,516 Posts
    • 7,724 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    Absolutely, hence my caviat normally.
    I've known people with privately owned 7.5t trucks, and they've only passed their car test. I've hired such a truck to move kit to a temporary venue for a motorsport event (it is big rather than heavy, so the load isn't the problem in that instance, it's the volume that tipped us from a Luton to a 7.5 tonner) and I've only passed my car test. That's all perfectly normal to me.

It is unfortunate that many people don't know how to read a vehicle plate though.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 15th Sep 17, 12:28 PM
    • 2,389 Posts
    • 1,553 Thanks
    Car 54
    If you really want to check yourself, run the vehicle over a weighbridge with the driver and a full tank of fuel in.
    Originally posted by bugslet
    ... and the driver's mate, and their sandwiches etc. ...
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 15th Sep 17, 12:48 PM
    • 15,430 Posts
    • 13,760 Thanks
    AdrianC
    I've known people with privately owned 7.5t trucks, and they've only passed their car test.
    Originally posted by onomatopoeia99
    If they passed before 1997, that's fine. If they passed after, then they need to take the C1 test.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 15th Sep 17, 6:06 PM
    • 1,530 Posts
    • 1,054 Thanks
    Tarambor
    There are a couple of cowboy haulage firms around here that 'hire' vehicles in order to circumvent the licensing regulations.
    The ability to hire 7.5 tonners without the hiree having an O license ended several years ago when VOSA changed the rules. If any hire company is renting out a 7.5 tonner to someone without an O license they're breaking the rules. It is impossible to hire a 7.5 tonner any more for personal use, let alone business.
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 15th Sep 17, 6:20 PM
    • 563 Posts
    • 295 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    The ability to hire 7.5 tonners without the hiree having an O license ended several years ago when VOSA changed the rules. If any hire company is renting out a 7.5 tonner to someone without an O license they're breaking the rules. It is impossible to hire a 7.5 tonner any more for personal use, let alone business.
    Is it????????
    • Iceweasel
    • By Iceweasel 15th Sep 17, 6:27 PM
    • 4,242 Posts
    • 3,089 Thanks
    Iceweasel
    Can you provide a link for this, bearing in mind that the VOSA no longer exists.

What exactly changed?

A quick google for a hirer gives results where they say no O licence is required for domestic users e.g for house moves.

There are several other instances where no Operators Licence is needed - hiring or using a vehicle to do a charity pick-up for example.

The charity I assist has a copy of a letter from the Traffic Commissioners in a folder in the cab explaining that in case the driver is questioned.
    Last edited by Iceweasel; 15-09-2017 at 6:37 PM.
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 15th Sep 17, 7:26 PM
    • 4,582 Posts
    • 3,986 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    I hired a 7.5 tonner from a national hire chain only a few months ago, so that's patently !!!!!!!!.
    Last edited by BeenThroughItAll; 15-09-2017 at 7:39 PM.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 15th Sep 17, 7:32 PM
    • 26,015 Posts
    • 10,372 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    You only need an O licence if your a business, hired lots of 7.5 tons vehicles for work and privately.

My local hire place have 65 7.5 ton vehicles for hire. Cheaper if you have a fleet policy and have your own insurance but insurance can be included for private users.

They also state this on their website, no O licence for private users moving house etc.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

398Posts Today

5,162Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin