Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tolkny
    • By Tolkny 13th Sep 17, 5:39 PM
    • 71Posts
    • 6Thanks
    Tolkny
    FunPlough - Phishing Websites
    • 13th Sep 17, 5:39 PM
    FunPlough - Phishing Websites 13th Sep 17 at 5:39 PM
    No joking.

I found the text of an old book I wanted to read, I don't remember the precise website now. When I clicked on the relative links I was required to sign up, then taken to The Funplough Website, offering downloading of all sorts of delights on all sorts of terms.

I ended up signing up for a 5 day trial at a cost of US$2.95, if I did not cancel.

Then could not even access the text I wanted in the first place.

I raised a query and got an immediate response, cancelling the subscription & committing to refund the $2.95.

I responded again, several times before Fun Plough said they did not have the facility to access the website offering the basic text access (I do know about Internet Archive & Gutenberg websites but thought this was nonetheless a decent arrangement)

Obviously it was a Scam, I think Funplough are registered in Czechoslovakia, anyway it is not UK legal system that would be involved.

However, there is nothing to complain about to my UK bank, because I got my money back, but FunPlough got my Bank Details.

Researching, I attempted to sign up, without going to the bank card details, twice more, each time I was taken to a different but almost Identical Website, to the FunPlough Set Up.

My Emails asking for access to the text of the book I initially wanted were ultimately, unsurprisingly ignored.

Presumably when the theft takes place it will be in an entirely different name to FunPlough.

So the only way I can protect myself is by frequently, every day or so, checking my bank account and presumably when the theft happens, my UK Clearing Bank will be obliged to refund me as I will not have authorised a transaction.

How can such Scams be prevented and who should do the prevention because every day there are enough dopes like me signing up for non existant services and having their deposits refunded, to enable these scams get enough to design these clever scam FunPlough Websites AND make a profit.

I could not find the best thread for this cautionary message, please relocate it Moderators, so at least some are forewarned and maybe also the Internet regulators can EVENTUALLY minimise these Scams.
    Andrew S Hatton
Page 1
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 16th Sep 17, 9:32 PM
    • 7,518 Posts
    • 7,553 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 16th Sep 17, 9:32 PM
    • 16th Sep 17, 9:32 PM
    And the joke is....?
    • Tolkny
    • By Tolkny 16th Sep 17, 9:49 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Tolkny
    • 16th Sep 17, 9:49 PM
    • 16th Sep 17, 9:49 PM
    As I began, it is no joke, sadly no one has relocated my comment or suggested where it might be better located.
    Andrew S Hatton
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,909Posts Today

5,967Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin