Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Isambard_Brunel
    • By Isambard_Brunel 13th Sep 17, 5:24 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Isambard_Brunel
    Incorrect advice about policy by phone
    • 13th Sep 17, 5:24 PM
    Incorrect advice about policy by phone 13th Sep 17 at 5:24 PM
    I recently called my insurer to ask if my policy covered replacement car keys, we had a lengthy discussion about how when I lost my car keys and they said I was covered up to £1000 to cover locksmith costs. its an old car only worth £300, but on their advice I went ahead and got a locksmith to do the work for £200. They then said I wasn't covered because it was (just) within 14 days of a new policy as per my policy document. Admittedly they are a bargain basement insurer, but still there is a principle at stake that they should have training and procedures to enable their staff to give accurate advice to policyholders or if unsure to say so.
    I have explained my position that they should have correctly advised me on the policy but I haven't yet threatened legal action. I'm very tempted to make a claim through the small claims court, but
    A) does their verbal advice carry any weight in court?
    B) could they cause me problems if I go legal on them (make 'mistakes' transferring my NCB in future etc).
    Many thanks for any advice on this.
Page 1
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 13th Sep 17, 6:02 PM
    • 89,566 Posts
    • 56,030 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 13th Sep 17, 6:02 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 6:02 PM
    A) does their verbal advice carry any weight in court?
    They dont provide advice. They issue factual information and its for you to decide what to do.

Was their information correct at the time of the phone call?

B) could they cause me problems if I go legal on them (make 'mistakes' transferring my NCB in future etc).
    If you go legal on them they will indicate that on your policy and restrict who you can speak to. However, they wont make mistakes on purpose.

If you use the regulated complaints process there will be no issues.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Blibble
    • By Blibble 13th Sep 17, 7:12 PM
    • 229 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    Blibble
    • 13th Sep 17, 7:12 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 7:12 PM
    Just to confirm, did you ask -

"am I covered for loss of car keys?"

OR

"can I make a claim for my car keys based on the following circumstances ...?"

The former answer is yes, the latter no. You are covered for car keys loss. You could not make a claim for this incident specifically, but you are covered *in general* for loss of car keys.

IMO, it all depends what you asked as to whether any fault lies with the insurer here.
    • Isambard_Brunel
    • By Isambard_Brunel 2nd Nov 17, 9:10 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Isambard_Brunel
    • 2nd Nov 17, 9:10 PM
    • 2nd Nov 17, 9:10 PM
    Thanks for the replies folks, I did write a complaint letter & the insurers immediately changed their tune, I had a phone call from a PR person who checked the phone recording of my call, agreed I'd been advised I was covered & sent me a cheque. Result :-)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

179Posts Today

1,761Users online

Martin's Twitter