Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • swingaloo
    • By swingaloo 13th Sep 17, 4:30 PM
    • 1,741Posts
    • 3,083Thanks
    swingaloo
    Being taxed on 2nd job
    • 13th Sep 17, 4:30 PM
    Being taxed on 2nd job 13th Sep 17 at 4:30 PM
    Never been in this position myself so asking on behalf of a friend.

This is the scenario.

A person has 2 part time jobs which and is taxed at the 2nd one. The person leaves job 2 and takes a new part time job. She is given a P45 to give to the new employer with her tax paid details.

Both jobs together take her into the taxpaying bracket, however the new employers are not aware she has a second job besides the one they have just given her. Is it her responsibility to tell the new company that she also works elsewhere so they take it into consideration when they tax her or will her tax be automatically changed when the tax office get the P45.

I'm not sure I'm explaining this very well- the P45 only has details of tax paid at the previous 2nd job and obviously don't contain her other income so the new company wont be aware. She was paying no tax on the 2nd job but in the new job she will earn more.

Basically what I'm asking is- If she does not tell the new employer she is also working elsewhere will they eventually get the information from the tax office so she will be paying the correct tax
Page 1
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 13th Sep 17, 7:27 PM
    • 37,823 Posts
    • 34,216 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 13th Sep 17, 7:27 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 7:27 PM
    They will get some information because if she doesn't hand in the P45, she will be asked to complete a New Starter Form (used to be a P46). And one of the questions on that establishes whether this job is her only or main job, or whether she has or has had another job in the current tax year.

Is there a reason not to say this is a second job?
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 2 shawls, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 1 seaman's hat ...
    Current projects: 1 shawl, another seaman's hat
    • t0rt0ise
    • By t0rt0ise 14th Sep 17, 8:39 AM
    • 2,926 Posts
    • 1,792 Thanks
    t0rt0ise
    • 14th Sep 17, 8:39 AM
    • 14th Sep 17, 8:39 AM
    The tax office will apportion the tax code as they think fit. If you don't like their idea or you want to preempt give them a ring. I have a job and a small pension and the tax office want to split the tax code between the two. Their idea of what I'm going to earn is odd so I call them and get them to put the whole code on the job and have a BR code on the other so I pay tax on all the pension. This way there is nothing to sort out at the end of the year.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

182Posts Today

1,869Users online

Martin's Twitter