Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Bath cube
    • By Bath cube 13th Sep 17, 4:17 PM
    • 130Posts
    • 70Thanks
    Bath cube
    Work shy relative is becoming a nuisance
    • 13th Sep 17, 4:17 PM
    Work shy relative is becoming a nuisance 13th Sep 17 at 4:17 PM
    I have a cousin who is 54 and has always lived at home with my aunt. He has not done any proper paid employment since 1996 and he just does 10 hours a week voluntary work and is getting paid his JSA as well there is nothing psychically or mentally wrong with him at all. He has turned down plenty of well paid jobs eg around £25000 per year because he says he doesn't enjoy paid work and he doesn't like paying tax and NI plus travel expenses. Last month he wanted £ 100 so he could buy a trophy and have it engraved for a pub friend who won a quiz, he expected his sister and myself plus 2 other cousins to chip in. And now it's approaching Christmas he wants money to buy his mum a gift and take her and himself to a restaurant on Christmas day. We have said NO and told him to apply to royal mail for a temporary job to earn some money. He seemed disgusted we should tell him to seek work. He has been sanctioned a few times over the years by the job centre for refusing to accept job offers and my aunt had to fund him through it. He isn't unskilled he can drive and has an IT qualification so I can't understand why he wants to do this.
Page 2
    • Fosterdog
    • By Fosterdog 14th Sep 17, 8:03 AM
    • 3,159 Posts
    • 5,450 Thanks
    Fosterdog
    Someone who has been unemployed for over 2 decades and only has a drivers license and an obsolete IT qualification doesn't get offered a job with a salary of £25,000.
    Originally posted by LilElvis
    Exactly what I was going to say. I have multiple IT qualifications and worked since I was 14 and have had to work my way up from the bottom. My lack of driving has held me back from a few promotions but I've been given others. Only now I'm at a £25,000 a year position (finally decided to learn to drive so got a long awaited promotion a few weeks back just weeks after passing my test). I know so many people in the industry and these days there are not that many IT jobs paying that sort of wage and never to a new starter with an old qualification and lack of work history. It just wouldn't happen.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 14th Sep 17, 8:38 AM
    • 17,622 Posts
    • 44,856 Thanks
    Pollycat
    My aunt is sick of him and his sister has told him to pull his socks up and act his age but he tells her to do one. The trophy because he wants to look like the big working class hero. He has told us his pub mates think he is a forklift driver in a argos warehouse and they treat him to drinks because he told them he is getting less than the NMW. He is a sponge for sure. Thank God I live miles from him or I would kick his but.
    Originally posted by Bath cube
    It sounds like he could have a lucrative career as a conman

As for Argos not paying NMW, they've been found out and had to repay £1.5m to 12,000 workers so he would now be - at the very least - on NMW in this fictitious job he tells his mates he has.
    • maman
    • By maman 14th Sep 17, 10:52 AM
    • 16,639 Posts
    • 99,364 Thanks
    maman
    My aunt is sick of him and his sister has told him to pull his socks up and act his age but he tells her to do one. The trophy because he wants to look like the big working class hero. He has told us his pub mates think he is a forklift driver in a argos warehouse and they treat him to drinks because he told them he is getting less than the NMW. He is a sponge for sure. Thank God I live miles from him or I would kick his but.

So you'll find it even easier to keep out of the situation. If he calls/texts you more money just say no.
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 14th Sep 17, 11:12 AM
    • 540 Posts
    • 501 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    Is this going to be another popcorn thread?
    • Malthusian
    • By Malthusian 14th Sep 17, 2:35 PM
    • 2,882 Posts
    • 4,114 Thanks
    Malthusian
    Does the work shy uncle (cousin? so hard to keep track) use all his spare time to keep posting threads about school plimsolls?
    • Bath cube
    • By Bath cube 14th Sep 17, 8:11 PM
    • 130 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    Bath cube
    I got a text from my lazy sod of a cousin earlier. He said ta very much for not contributing so he can have a nice Christmas. My reply isn't repeatable on here. Even the phone he text me on was supplied to him by the jobcentre, a cheap PAYG so his advisor can let him know of job alerts. He is pathetic.
    • Loz01
    • By Loz01 14th Sep 17, 8:18 PM
    • 1,426 Posts
    • 3,107 Thanks
    Loz01
    Text back and say "f**k off and get a job"
    An apple a day keeps anyone away if you throw it hard enough
    • annandale
    • By annandale 14th Sep 17, 8:54 PM
    • 739 Posts
    • 1,674 Thanks
    annandale
    Absolute rubbish. The DWP do not give people who claim benefits mobile phones, please stop trolling.

You can find job alerts on any site including universal jobmatch or several other internet sites. Someone who has been sanctioned on several occasions and who has no interest in working wouldnt be handed a phone by the DWP.

Bluelass strikes again.
    Last edited by annandale; 14-09-2017 at 9:02 PM.
    • annandale
    • By annandale 14th Sep 17, 9:09 PM
    • 739 Posts
    • 1,674 Thanks
    annandale
    If hes on benefit (if this pile of nonsense is true), he doesnt need to be asking anyone for any money for any trophy or a christmas lunch.

No one in their right mind would buy people drinks all night in a pub because theyve said they are in a job thats less than min wage.

Seriously, Jackanory would be proud of this tall tale but bluelass always knew how to spin a yarn
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 14th Sep 17, 9:32 PM
    • 17,622 Posts
    • 44,856 Thanks
    Pollycat
    If hes on benefit (if this pile of nonsense is true), he doesnt need to be asking anyone for any money for any trophy or a christmas lunch.

No one in their right mind would buy people drinks all night in a pub because theyve said they are in a job thats less than min wage.

Seriously, Jackanory would be proud of this tall tale but bluelass always knew how to spin a yarn
    Originally posted by annandale
    If it isn't true it's far more entertaining than someone asking about school uniforms or the toilet habits of primary school kids.

So for that, I thank the OP.
    • Bath cube
    • By Bath cube 14th Sep 17, 9:33 PM
    • 130 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    Bath cube
    Who said anything about buying him drinks all night?. He gets one or two off people he knows and who he has conned. He told me about the phone I didn't assume. And no I have no intention of giving him a penny. I don't know how he has managed to get away with claiming JSA for so long either save for when he has been sanctioned. I suspect he is doing the volunteer work so he can get his jsa. I pay tax and insurance like everyone on here and think his attitude is terrible. He models himself on Che Guevara but even he had a work ethic.
    • annandale
    • By annandale 14th Sep 17, 9:42 PM
    • 739 Posts
    • 1,674 Thanks
    annandale
    Who said anything about buying him drinks all night?. He gets one or two off people he knows and who he has conned. He told me about the phone I didn't assume. And no I have no intention of giving him a penny. I don't know how he has managed to get away with claiming JSA for so long either save for when he has been sanctioned. I suspect he is doing the volunteer work so he can get his jsa. I pay tax and insurance like everyone on here and think his attitude is terrible. He models himself on Che Guevara but even he had a work ethic.
    There are people on these boards who claim benefits. Theres a whole section of the board dedicated to benefits.

You dont get JSA just because you do voluntary work, it does not exempt you from having to look for work.
    • Bath cube
    • By Bath cube 14th Sep 17, 9:52 PM
    • 130 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    Bath cube
    Annandale I have never claimed any benefit including jsa so I don't know the drill surrounding entitlement. Even at sixth form I had a job as a domestic at the local uni for 25 hours a week. This was before the NMW was made statutory. The longest my lazy cousin has held a job for is 11 months. His last one in 1996 was as a concierge at a college a very cushy job but no it was too much for him and he was only 33 then!. He even has the cheek to say he can't afford a funeral policy.
    • annandale
    • By annandale 14th Sep 17, 10:47 PM
    • 739 Posts
    • 1,674 Thanks
    annandale
    Why is this any of your concern?
    • phillw
    • By phillw 14th Sep 17, 11:11 PM
    • 803 Posts
    • 400 Thanks
    phillw
    I need a trophy, send money now!

Thanks
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 15th Sep 17, 8:18 AM
    • 540 Posts
    • 501 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    He models himself on Che Guevara
    He pretends to be a murdering terrorist?
    • thorsoak
    • By thorsoak 15th Sep 17, 11:06 AM
    • 5,450 Posts
    • 24,781 Thanks
    thorsoak
    I got a text from my lazy sod of a cousin earlier. He said ta very much for not contributing so he can have a nice Christmas. My reply isn't repeatable on here. Even the phone he text me on was supplied to him by the jobcentre, a cheap PAYG so his advisor can let him know of job alerts. He is pathetic.
    How mean of the Jobcentre ...surely they should have issued him with an i-pad - or a laptop at least :-(
    • elsien
    • By elsien 15th Sep 17, 11:36 AM
    • 15,042 Posts
    • 37,683 Thanks
    elsien
    He pretends to be a murdering terrorist?
    Originally posted by bertiewhite
    Or doctor, revolutionary, politician and banker, depending on your perspective.
    None of which I suspect applies to the OPs supposed relative.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • hunters
    • By hunters 15th Sep 17, 1:21 PM
    • 629 Posts
    • 1,813 Thanks
    hunters
    It surprises me the OP doesn't send these threads in to MSE as the dilemma of the week?
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 15th Sep 17, 5:16 PM
    • 9,624 Posts
    • 7,616 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    He models himself on Che Guevara
    He's even failed at that, Che died at the age of 39.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

228Posts Today

1,279Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin