Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MrMaloney
    • By MrMaloney 13th Sep 17, 4:13 PM
    • 26Posts
    • 38Thanks
    MrMaloney
    BT Changing contract terms (increasing price) during a 12 month fixed price contract
    • 13th Sep 17, 4:13 PM
    BT Changing contract terms (increasing price) during a 12 month fixed price contract 13th Sep 17 at 4:13 PM
    I took out a "black Friday" deal with BT which was advertised as a special deal negotiated by MSE and I followed the link from the MSE deal promotion. It was a nightmare getting the prepaid cards and cashback, but was sorted in the end. A £50 M&S voucher which was part of the deal ended up as a £50 credit to my account, which was probably better, but took so long and lots of calls to sort out. I paid my line rental 12 months in advance to get a line saver discount. The Broadband was discounted to £9/month for 12 months. They got the pricing wrong the first month - it was January before they got the phone and broadband changed to BT. They sorted out the pricing for that 1st month and subsequent bills. Then in April, they increased the broadband to £11.50. Must admit I didn't notice until August that this had happened. When I complained they said I was sent an email which said I could cancel my contract if I wasn't happy with the deal. But that would result in having to find something more expensive no doubt and I would lose my line saver benefit that I'd paid for up-front. When I have challenged this, stating that I had a contract at £9, they say - sounds like from a script "The T&Cs in the original contract said that the contract could be varied, it was varied, so tough" he went on to say that that's how it was and nothing he could do.

My feeling is that if this went to court a judge would say, something like, you may have a statement in your T&Cs saying you can change the T&Cs, but this is improper trading, or something like that. Am I missing something or are BT clearly abusing the contracts and the law?
Page 1
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 13th Sep 17, 4:46 PM
    • 9,849 Posts
    • 4,057 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 13th Sep 17, 4:46 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 4:46 PM
    The contract you signed up to had terms and conditions .ΔWe may change any prices and terms during your contract. If this affects you, we'll tell you about important changes in advance, and you'll be able to end your contract without any fees.
    One of those was the right to raise prices . If they did you had the right within 30 days to cancel . Ofcom have already looked into the ISP price rise saga for all not just BT . See multiple posts on the subject .

You are free to go to court but a judge will point out that's what you signed up to and award BT costs .
    Last edited by JJ Egan; 13-09-2017 at 4:51 PM.
    • iniltous
    • By iniltous 13th Sep 17, 7:08 PM
    • 1,395 Posts
    • 488 Thanks
    iniltous
    • 13th Sep 17, 7:08 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 7:08 PM
    It's pretty standard T&C's most if not all CP's follow, if prices rise, you are advised of that fact and can switch provider, penalty free, providing you tell your existing company with 30 days of receiving the notification of the price rise, try after the 30 days, saying you didn't receive the notification ( regardless of that being true or a lie) doesn't work, and TBH every time there is a price rise, it's hard not to know about it, especially if you frequent forums such as this.
    As far as LRS , line rental paid for a year in advance,although when first introduced it came with a proviso, that it wasn't refundable , so if you left before the year was up , no refund, I think that isn't the case now, and you are entitled to a pro rata refund for the un-used months
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 13th Sep 17, 8:25 PM
    • 8,517 Posts
    • 5,046 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 13th Sep 17, 8:25 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 8:25 PM
    Providers rarely offer a fixed price, but rather a fixed discount.

This means that if you have a 60% discount, your increase will have the same discount , so a £1 rise costs you 40p.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,205Posts Today

6,369Users online

Martin's Twitter