Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Stanthedog
    • By Stanthedog 13th Sep 17, 4:11 PM
    • 23Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Stanthedog
    Selling Conveyancing - Leasehold - Recommendations
    • 13th Sep 17, 4:11 PM
    Selling Conveyancing - Leasehold - Recommendations 13th Sep 17 at 4:11 PM
    Hi
    I have a house I am selling and I have just accepted an offer. My estate agent has recommended that I use their assigned conveyancing partner as this supposedly makes things easier. I have spoken with them and whilst they offer a no sale no fee arrangement I have not been impressed by their costs or how they have gone about trying to get my business. The property I am selling is a leasehold and I have a mortgage to pay off against it, I am not purchasing another property. I was originally quoted £830 all in (including dispersements, VAT and leasehold costs) but when I have come to engage them it has risen to over a £1000 due to mortgage redemption (£150) and bank transfer fees (£40). This was not explained to me up front and I'm unhappy that this wasnt explained and it is rather expensive. No doubt the estate agent gets a referral fee out of this.

I need a reliable, value for money conveyencing solicitor to help with a quick sale who won't mess me around and be available. My preference is to sign documents electronically and I would like recommendations as who to use and how to go about this. I want to move quickly and appoint someone in the next 24hrs. There are lots of online solicitors out there but I'm reluctant to go with the lowest price I am first offered as I need someone efficient as I need to sell this property as quick as possible. Has anyone experience of using any of the conveyancing companies and who to use and who to avoid. It is 15yrs plus since I last purchased a house.
Page 1
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 13th Sep 17, 4:18 PM
    • 9,801 Posts
    • 12,422 Thanks
    hazyjo
    • 13th Sep 17, 4:18 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 4:18 PM
    Advisable to use an independent local solicitor. Fine to have one recommended by the EA, but not linked. I'm lucky I can just drop post into mine on the way home from the station.

If nobody can recommend one, pop into one (or three) to get a feel of who you're comfortable with. Or ring (as I've done).

I'd not touch them with a bargepole - smacks of conflict of interest. I want them looking after MY best interests, not the EA's.

Generally not advised on here to use an online one ('conveyancing farm'/paralegals, etc). Each to their own though.
    Last edited by hazyjo; 13-09-2017 at 4:20 PM. Reason: added para 2
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies); Avon lippies; cowhide rug; Windsor luxury break, foundation; Flybe flight
    • Stanthedog
    • By Stanthedog 13th Sep 17, 4:48 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Stanthedog
    • 13th Sep 17, 4:48 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 4:48 PM
    My circumstances are that I live several hundred miles from the property which I no longer live in, Im unsure who to call or where to start but I feel Ive been misled by the Estate Agent's recommended partner
    • G_M
    • By G_M 13th Sep 17, 5:59 PM
    • 41,950 Posts
    • 48,553 Thanks
    G_M
    • 13th Sep 17, 5:59 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 5:59 PM
    Ignore the EA recommended one esp if they are 'linked'.

Walk down your local high street and go in to 2 or 3 firms. ask to see a solicitor about conveyancing. Clearly explain what you need (incl mortgage redemption, freeholder liaison if relevant) and get a quote.

Consider the price AND how you felt about the way you were treated.

Compare quotes carefully to ensure they all include the same elements.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

868Posts Today

6,572Users online

Martin's Twitter