Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • steve1ae
    • By steve1ae 13th Sep 17, 3:48 PM
    • 15Posts
    • 5Thanks
    steve1ae
    Parked car hit by truck
    • 13th Sep 17, 3:48 PM
    Parked car hit by truck 13th Sep 17 at 3:48 PM
    Hi everyone,

Our car was parked in a private car park and hit by a delivery truck. The driver drove off without leaving any details. Thankfully several people seen the accident and reported it.

I traced the delivery company to Ireland and have been speaking with the company owner over the phone. He has asked that we get a quote for the damage.

I have several quotes for the work but what would you advise we do? My personal thoughts are that this is his responsibility and his job to organise? Whilst he didn't refuse to give over his insurance details, I've been waiting several days for the information.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Page 1
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 13th Sep 17, 3:57 PM
    • 1,045 Posts
    • 1,267 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 13th Sep 17, 3:57 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 3:57 PM
    Ask for his insurer's details, claim from them and make sure you inform your own insurance company of the accident and that you are claiming off the other party's insurance.
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 13th Sep 17, 4:57 PM
    • 2,234 Posts
    • 1,433 Thanks
    Car 54
    • 13th Sep 17, 4:57 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 4:57 PM
    Is he in NI or the Republic?
    • steve1ae
    • By steve1ae 13th Sep 17, 5:12 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    steve1ae
    • 13th Sep 17, 5:12 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 5:12 PM
    He's in the Republic
    • payandisplay
    • By payandisplay 13th Sep 17, 6:57 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    payandisplay
    • 13th Sep 17, 6:57 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 6:57 PM
    Claim off your own insurance. That is what you pay for.
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 13th Sep 17, 7:41 PM
    • 1,045 Posts
    • 1,267 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 13th Sep 17, 7:41 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 7:41 PM
    Claim off your own insurance. That is what you pay for.
    Originally posted by payandisplay
    And pay the excess? Why, when if he claims off the company's insurance, they will pay the excess?
    • comeandgo
    • By comeandgo 13th Sep 17, 8:12 PM
    • 1,805 Posts
    • 2,395 Thanks
    comeandgo
    • 13th Sep 17, 8:12 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 8:12 PM
    Claim off your own insurance, they then claim from his insurance.
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 13th Sep 17, 10:22 PM
    • 35,521 Posts
    • 45,718 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 13th Sep 17, 10:22 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 10:22 PM
    Follow Aylesbury D's advice. Quicker and less messy. Ignore any other advice. I have been through this twice.
    Your premium may or may not go up.
    Not fair but it happens
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent
    • fiisch
    • By fiisch 13th Sep 17, 10:54 PM
    • 163 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    fiisch
    • 13th Sep 17, 10:54 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 10:54 PM
    And pay the excess? Why, when if he claims off the company's insurance, they will pay the excess?
    Originally posted by Aylesbury Duck

You only pay the excess initially - it will be recovered (subrogated) from the other side as part of his uninsured losses.

Claiming via your own insurance makes sense if there is a risk of the third party trying to avoid blame - the fact they've driven off without reporting the accident suggests they're untrustworthy, especially as they're now delaying in providing insurance details.
    • missile
    • By missile 14th Sep 17, 9:59 AM
    • 8,850 Posts
    • 4,277 Thanks
    missile
    You are required to report all incidents to your insurer. Claim on your insurance, they will try to recover your costs and expenses from third party.

There are several posts from those who have trusted third party to pay and later been shafted.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • caprikid1
    • By caprikid1 14th Sep 17, 10:19 AM
    • 458 Posts
    • 473 Thanks
    caprikid1
    In an ideal world you raise the claim with your insurance then deal direct with theirs.

From my experience I get what I want far quicker than involving my insurance. I get my car repaired by who I want and the right level of reimburse for the inconvenience. Insurance companies above all else want to settle and close a case. If you are reasonable so will they be.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 14th Sep 17, 10:37 AM
    • 15,082 Posts
    • 13,403 Thanks
    AdrianC
    TBH, I'm not sure how you expect him to get quotes for your car. He's in another country, and I doubt you'd give him the keys anyway to take it around bodyshops.

If you claim directly from his, then you have the hassle of dealing internationally, but you may have more control over the repair process, as you have no contractual relationship with the insurer.

If you claim from yours, they may charge you the excess initially, but should refund it once the bill has been covered in full from the other insurer. If their insurer do not accept liability, then this is your only route.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,814Posts Today

5,468Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin