Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mandroid29
    • By Mandroid29 13th Sep 17, 3:30 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Mandroid29
    NHBC Claim and Housing Association | Mortgaged
    • 13th Sep 17, 3:30 PM
    NHBC Claim and Housing Association | Mortgaged 13th Sep 17 at 3:30 PM
    Hi,

I live in a 50/50 shared ownership property and I have a mortgage on my share.

There was a defect on the NewBuild house built in 2008 that has been there since day 1 of ownership. I am the first occupant.

When the construction company fitted the Solar Panels, they nailed a six inch nail through one of the roof joists that is protruding out of the joist, that has eventually led to water ingress.

It had taken six years for rain water to fully saturate the roof joist beam, and the insulation in the roof, which meant only after six years did the leak first become noticable.

The construction company has gone bust.

I tried to claim vie the NHBC and the Housing Association and they're telling me it's maintenance?

I am trying to reason the point maintenance in my mind, alludes to the fact that there has been a new fault, for example a storm blows off roof tiles and causes a leak.

I'm trying to counter asking them to recognise that the fault has been there since day 1, and I bought the house in good faith, not recognising that there was a fault with the roof till six years of ownership.

The irony is that the houses were built to help first time buyers get on the property ladder but I can't sell because the leak has now wrecked the plaster in the main bedroom and the leak is now only 6inches from the main electric light fitting in the bedroom.

I am stuck and neither the NHBC or Housing association are helping or getting back to me.

The housing association own half but are wiaving any responsibility for helping me get it fixed.

What do I did and where do I stand legally please?

Kind regards,

Simon
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

79Posts Today

2,578Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin