Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tigs1
    • By tigs1 13th Sep 17, 3:29 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    tigs1
    Compensation Question
    • 13th Sep 17, 3:29 PM
    Compensation Question 13th Sep 17 at 3:29 PM
    My sister in law has brain damage from birth in 1964, is anyone aware if there is anyway we are able to claim compensation for this?.

Life is becoming exceedingly difficult supporting her as my mother in law is ill also, we have asked for additional support and have now been told we cannot have anymore, moving her to a home is the next option, I think this is exceedingly unfair and we do not want her to go into care.

The only option I can think of is to understand if there is anyway we could get compensation for her from the NHS.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Page 1
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 13th Sep 17, 3:45 PM
    • 321 Posts
    • 453 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    • 13th Sep 17, 3:45 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 3:45 PM
    You're several decades too late to claim compensation for negligence.

Is it social services that have said she is not entitled to additional care, and have you appealed the decision? Does she receive DLA/ PIP, and is this used for a carer?

I can understand your feelings on her going into a care home, but social care budgets have been cut to the bone, and unfortunately the level of home support once available no longer is. You should take this issue up with your MP, though if they're a Tory I doubt they'll care.
    • tigs1
    • By tigs1 13th Sep 17, 5:34 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    tigs1
    • 13th Sep 17, 5:34 PM
    Compensation Question
    • 13th Sep 17, 5:34 PM
    Thank you for your reply, that's bad news for her!

It is her Social Worker who has informed me of this and we have worked out how much she is getting financially and it approx. 50% of what it would cost to put her in care, which in my eyes is unrealistic. Our opinion is that they are trying to get us to foot the bills for extra help (we may ne wrong). DLA is being received but she has nothing left to put towards care as she has special needs for food, clothing etc that use all this up.

Yes we have a Tory MP who would probably not worry!!

Open to any ideas please.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 13th Sep 17, 5:44 PM
    • 15,038 Posts
    • 37,678 Thanks
    elsien
    • 13th Sep 17, 5:44 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 5:44 PM
    If you are struggling because you are also supporting mother in law, is there any extra help for mother in law that would ease some of the strain?
    SiLs benefits are to pay the additional costs associated with her disability so you won't get anything extra cash wise on top of that.
    What are her support needs on a practical day to day level? If these haven't changed but you are struggling to help motherinlaw then social service he's won't give you any extra for SIL because her needs are already being met. What support do you/SIL already get? What specifically are you asking for on top of that? Has she had a Care assessment and have you had a carers assessment as part of that? Ditto mother in law?
    You need to look at the care assessments and challenge if necessary but I would focus on the help mother In law needs if that's what has changed for you.
    Last edited by elsien; 13-09-2017 at 5:46 PM.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 13th Sep 17, 5:49 PM
    • 15,038 Posts
    • 37,678 Thanks
    elsien
    • 13th Sep 17, 5:49 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 5:49 PM
    Other possibility, although a very slim one, is to look on the turn2us website. They have a grants section which lists charities you may be able to apply to for one off funding. Most of these are quite small and for immediate needs but there may be something specific to your area.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

184Posts Today

1,977Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin