Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bmlynch92
    • By bmlynch92 13th Sep 17, 2:33 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 1Thanks
    bmlynch92
    Ground floor flat next to bin and cycle storage
    • 13th Sep 17, 2:33 PM
    Ground floor flat next to bin and cycle storage 13th Sep 17 at 2:33 PM
    Hi all,

My partner and I are currently looking at a help to buy new build flat and found one we really like. We have made an offer, had it countered and settled on a contribution to the stamp duty plus white goods. However nothing is signed yet or the reservation fee made.

Having looked over the development plans we realised that to one side of the flat (ground floor) are the bin and cycle stores and towards the back is the lift shaft.

Should this present alarm bells at all? Does anyone have experience of this kind of setting?

Many thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • Cheeky_Monkey
    • By Cheeky_Monkey 13th Sep 17, 2:37 PM
    • 1,298 Posts
    • 2,470 Thanks
    Cheeky_Monkey
    • 13th Sep 17, 2:37 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 2:37 PM
    Can you tell how far away the bin store will be?

Personally, I would not want to live in a ground floor flat next to the bin store mainly because of the smell in the summer
    • bmlynch92
    • By bmlynch92 13th Sep 17, 2:41 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    bmlynch92
    • 13th Sep 17, 2:41 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 2:41 PM
    Can you tell how far away the bin store will be?

Personally, I would not want to live in a ground floor flat next to the bin store mainly because of the smell in the summer
    Originally posted by Cheeky_Monkey
    As far as I can tell it will be part of the building so right next to the flat (sharing 1 wall I believe)

That was my concern as well, although my partner mentioned the waste will be in bags then in bins and with a wall in between. Still slightly sceptical!
    • Mee
    • By Mee 13th Sep 17, 2:47 PM
    • 900 Posts
    • 905 Thanks
    Mee
    • 13th Sep 17, 2:47 PM
    Other issues
    I live in a flat higher up which is 2-3 metres from a bin store.
    Smell has never been an issue, but noise can be - you may be up and out by the time the waste collectors do their rounds, here it is anytime between 06.45 - 07.45 (and sometimes later for recycling) twice a week. We also had issues with the lock which meant some people dumped waste outside; and before the lock was replaced some non-residents used it for recreational use.

Have you spoken to other residents, have you visited at different times of the day?
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 13th Sep 17, 2:47 PM
    • 321 Posts
    • 449 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    Have you checked the service charge for the block? You mention a lift and they can be costly to maintain, even when you make no use of it.

The apartment blocks near me have the big commercial bins. They are smelly but also noisy, you'll hear each time they're open and shut. It wouldn't be for me.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 13th Sep 17, 2:48 PM
    • 59,851 Posts
    • 350,012 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 13th Sep 17, 2:48 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 2:48 PM
    I'd have said "no no no" for a lot of reasons.... noise, nuisance, fly tipping, late and early comers using the facilities etc.

But, I do know somebody who bought a house opposite a brick built bins shed used by a block of flats and they have had not the slightest issue whatsoever with nuisance/fly tippers...

Personally I'd not wish to sit at home knowing/hearing that all-comers were coming and going back and forth a few feet away ... potentially doing something they aren't supposed to be doing, or doing it noisily. I'd end up becoming anxious over 1-2 people's behaviour and 'fearing' every noise that "it could be them doing it again"....
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 13-09-2017 at 2:51 PM.
    • bmlynch92
    • By bmlynch92 13th Sep 17, 2:59 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    bmlynch92
    • 13th Sep 17, 2:59 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 2:59 PM
    Have you checked the service charge for the block? You mention a lift and they can be costly to maintain, even when you make no use of it.

The apartment blocks near me have the big commercial bins. They are smelly but also noisy, you'll hear each time they're open and shut. It wouldn't be for me.
    Originally posted by BorisThomson
    This flat seems to have the lowest service charge of the block, it is a low rise development (4 floors) and the one we are looking at has it's own entrance.

I'd have said "no no no" for a lot of reasons.... noise, nuisance, fly tipping, late and early comers using the facilities etc.

But, I do know somebody who bought a house opposite a brick built bins shed used by a block of flats and they have had not the slightest issue whatsoever with nuisance/fly tippers...

Personally I'd not wish to sit at home knowing/hearing that all-comers were coming and going back and forth a few feet away ... potentially doing something they aren't supposed to be doing, or doing it noisily. I'd end up becoming anxious over 1-2 people's behaviour and 'fearing' every noise that "it could be them doing it again"....
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    It is a brick build bin shed with a key/fob entry we have been told by the developers/sales people. For that reason I don't think I'd be too worried about fly tipping, but as you said the comings and goings in general near to you is beginning to put me off.

Thank you for the advice.
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 13th Sep 17, 3:22 PM
    • 1,983 Posts
    • 2,894 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    • 13th Sep 17, 3:22 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 3:22 PM
    Having looked over the development plans we realised that to one side of the flat (ground floor) are the bin and cycle stores and towards the back is the lift shaft.

Should this present alarm bells at all? Does anyone have experience of this kind of setting?
    Originally posted by bmlynch92
    Let's turn this around shall we? Why don't you list all of the advantages of living next to the bike shed and the bins....

Really, there aren't any?!?
    • black_wings
    • By black_wings 13th Sep 17, 3:46 PM
    • 87 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    black_wings
    • 13th Sep 17, 3:46 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 3:46 PM
    OP - we live in a new build flat also with bin store and key fob similar to the situation you are describing. I wouldn't like to live on the ground floor - in the summer the bin store and all surrounding areas including the communal ground floor corridors STINK of bins and are swarming with massive flies.
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 13th Sep 17, 3:58 PM
    • 3,096 Posts
    • 3,818 Thanks
    bouicca21
    in my block I find my fellow residents just heap their rubbish next to the bins once they are full up. They're not too good about putting the right stuff in the right bins either which means that sometimes the council refuses to empty them. I am very glad the bins are on the opposite side to my flat. Mind you they are normal domestic wheelie bins rather than the skip type that more modern blocks get.

Much depends on how far the bins will impinge on your life. Will you have a window so you actually have to look at the things, and smell them if it all goes wrong? Will people and/or the council refuse collectors be traipsing past a window, impinging on your privacy and being noisy? Will operating the bins be noisy in itself?
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 13th Sep 17, 4:00 PM
    • 2,388 Posts
    • 2,667 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    I absolutely would not move to this flat. You'll be listening to lifts and bin lids slamming all day long plus the bin collection chaos.
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 13th Sep 17, 4:01 PM
    • 21,148 Posts
    • 10,131 Thanks
    lisyloo
    I would walk away personally.
    The fact that other people don't like the noise/mess/smell means you're going to find it harder to sell even if it's not an issue for you.

If they have nothing else in that block I'd look elsewhere.
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 13th Sep 17, 4:04 PM
    • 3,706 Posts
    • 7,454 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    Bin strikes! Not exactly unheard of, likely to be more common in the future economic "success".

Three weeks worth? Ten? Combined with the zombie apocalypse, it's really not worth considering, whatever low charges the property comes with.

It's a "NO" from me!
    • rae123
    • By rae123 13th Sep 17, 4:52 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    rae123
    In my flat the wall where the lift is isn't anywhere near the bedroom, but you can still hear it whenever someone goes past our floor (which isn't often due to being on the 15th floor). It's not enough to keep us awake at night but if our bedroom was right next to the lifts I think it'd be a different story. The bin room (with pincode entry) isn't really an issue for us due to our apartment being so high, but even when you go into the bin room it doesn't really smell THAT bad.
    • becky170
    • By becky170 13th Sep 17, 4:54 PM
    • 435 Posts
    • 3,778 Thanks
    becky170
    My old ground floor flat was next to the bin store and bike shed. We never had any problems with smell or noise from people using either facility. Guess it depends on the development!
    MFW 2016 #7 £1849/2000

MFW 2017 #7 £2405/2000
    • Lunchbox
    • By Lunchbox 13th Sep 17, 5:30 PM
    • 145 Posts
    • 135 Thanks
    Lunchbox
    OP - we live in a new build flat also with bin store and key fob similar to the situation you are describing. I wouldn't like to live on the ground floor - in the summer the bin store and all surrounding areas including the communal ground floor corridors STINK of bins and are swarming with massive flies.
    Originally posted by black_wings
    Same here. We live high up so have no problems, but the bin stores (brick built, part of building) and their vicinity smell absolutely terrible in warm weather. The bins are collected every week, they have lids, and the room is also washed out every week, but I wouldn't want to be living to the side or top of them. They have ventilated doors which let the smell out, and are also full of flies and I would imagine attract rats. There's no way I would be able to live near them, having windows open in summer would be more intolerable than the heat from keeping them closed.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 13th Sep 17, 6:13 PM
    • 8,217 Posts
    • 4,890 Thanks
    teddysmum
    There's also the situation where someone has gone to the bin store,having misplaced or forgotten to take the key so will knock on your door to borrow one.
    • Dorian1958
    • By Dorian1958 13th Sep 17, 7:46 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    Dorian1958
    OP, the issues that are being red flagged here will be the same ones going through a prospective purchasers mind when it is time for you to sell it - how easy do you think that will be?
    • freeisgood
    • By freeisgood 13th Sep 17, 8:05 PM
    • 480 Posts
    • 733 Thanks
    freeisgood
    Arn't most councils switching to refuse collection every other week? Summer heat would make it stink. Also just the idea of sleeping/living next to a tonne of refuse, wall or not, would put me off.
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 13th Sep 17, 9:13 PM
    • 5,864 Posts
    • 7,617 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    I think it depends a bit what your other options are.

For the bin/bike store, think about where the windows are - if it is on the other side of a wall and you have no windows there, then smell probably won't be major issue, but do look at what the ventilation arrangements are and whether smell, flies or rats might be issues.

Noise may be an issue. Bins being collected / emptied, and people using the store. Think about where the bedrooms are, and also how sensitive each of you is to noise.What's the route from the bin store to where ever they need to be to be collected? Are you going to have a lot of noise with bins being brought in and out, are they likely t be left outside your windows when waiting to be emptied, etc.

For me, the lift would be a similar concern - noise (I always ask for rooms away from the lifts when I stay in hotels, as lifts do make a noise, people tend to talk while waiting for them etc)

Also - consider the service charges. On the ground floor you won't be making use of the lift, but I doubt you get a reduction in the service charge as a result.

I think if it were me, I would be looking very closely at those issues, and at what other properties might be available as alternatives, and decide whether this flat has advantages which outweigh these disadvantages. You may decide that location / price / other amenities make it worth being by the bin store.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,079Posts Today

4,449Users online

Martin's Twitter