Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Timberflake1983
    • By Timberflake1983 13th Sep 17, 2:27 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Timberflake1983
    How long to wait for my leaving date?
    • 13th Sep 17, 2:27 PM
    How long to wait for my leaving date? 13th Sep 17 at 2:27 PM
    Hi guys, I handed my notice in at work last Thursday and requested a one month notice period (my contract says three), what's a reasonable amount of time for them to come back to me on this?

They're trying to keep me and want me in London next week to make an offer even though I told them my mind is made up and I can't help but think they're delaying things. Thing is, my new in employer is chasing for me to confirm my start date.

I chased them up yesterday and they said it was 'being worked on' but it can't be that hard just to agree a date they're happy for me to leave?
Page 1
    • Scorpio33
    • By Scorpio33 13th Sep 17, 2:38 PM
    • 452 Posts
    • 650 Thanks
    Scorpio33
    • 13th Sep 17, 2:38 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 2:38 PM
    Depends on your role and how quickly they can replace you. If they want to keep you, it is unlikely they will let you go early.

If your contract states 3 months, expect 3 months. The contract states 3 months as that is what they feel they need to replace you usually.

If the new employer asks, tell them definitely in 3 months, but you are pushing for an earlier date.

You can't promise an earlier date and your current employees may well hold you to the contractual obligation.
    • Timberflake1983
    • By Timberflake1983 13th Sep 17, 2:44 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Timberflake1983
    • 13th Sep 17, 2:44 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 2:44 PM
    I understand that bit it wasn't my question. My question is how long is reasonable for them to come back with a response on whether they're happy for me to leave early? It's been a week tomorrow since I handed my notice and request in and I just want to know where I stand
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 13th Sep 17, 2:46 PM
    • 4,666 Posts
    • 9,338 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 13th Sep 17, 2:46 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 2:46 PM
    I understand that bit it wasn't my question. My question is how long is reasonable for them to come back with a response on whether they're happy for me to leave early? It's been a week tomorrow since I handed my notice and request in and I just want to know where I stand
    Originally posted by Timberflake1983
    There is no reasonable really. We couldnt possibly comment on the reasonable time it is for them to assess what needs doing within that three months, if they have the staff, if theyd need cover, whether they can do it in your absence etc.

They need to see if your needs fit in with their business needs, and they have from 1 day to 3 months (as contracted) to decide.
    Survey Earnings 2017 - £163
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 13th Sep 17, 2:50 PM
    • 2,003 Posts
    • 2,915 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    • 13th Sep 17, 2:50 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 2:50 PM
    Given you want them to do you a favour, it's probably a good idea not to be too moralistic about what is, and isn't, "reasonable".

Why didn't you tell your new employer that you had a 3 month notice period?
    • Timberflake1983
    • By Timberflake1983 13th Sep 17, 2:54 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Timberflake1983
    • 13th Sep 17, 2:54 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 2:54 PM
    I did tell them I had 3 months but they wanted me in sooner which is c'mon in my experience. I requested one month but thought 2 months would be reasonable.
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 13th Sep 17, 3:16 PM
    • 2,003 Posts
    • 2,915 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    • 13th Sep 17, 3:16 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 3:16 PM
    ok, well, it's common/reasonable for a new employer to want you to start as soon as possible. And it's not uncommon/unreasonable for you to ask if you can leave the old place earlier than contracted, in the hope of an amicable agreement which suits all parties.

What is unreasonable is for your new employer to expect you can start earlier than your notice period, or for you to expect that your old employer should let you off your contractual notice period.

I'd give it until the end of next week and if you've not heard anything, or managed to sort anything out, simply say to your new employer that you've done your best, but the old place are holding you to your contract and there's nothing more you can do.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 13th Sep 17, 3:23 PM
    • 3,874 Posts
    • 3,943 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 13th Sep 17, 3:23 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 3:23 PM
    When I was in a similar position my employer initially refused point blank to shorten the notice period because it was going to take time to get a replacement in. If your role needs 3 months notice, it's not unreasonable to suspect that your potential replacement will have to give the same amount.
    I certainly think you are being extremely unrealistic if you think they should give you an answer within a week. Until and unless you hear to the contrary you should assume a 3 month notice period and work to that timescale.
    In the end my employer agreed to 6 week rather than 2 month notice in my case.
    • Takeaway_Addict
    • By Takeaway_Addict 13th Sep 17, 4:44 PM
    • 5,610 Posts
    • 6,418 Thanks
    Takeaway_Addict
    • 13th Sep 17, 4:44 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 4:44 PM
    Originally posted by Timberflake1983
    3 months is reasonable...
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
    • AylesburyDuck
    • By AylesburyDuck 13th Sep 17, 4:53 PM
    • 669 Posts
    • 1,522 Thanks
    AylesburyDuck
    Your not being reasonable with wanting a one month notice so really they dont have to be reasonable giving you a timescale now do they.
    Push for it and they will probably turn round and expect you to work the full 3 months.
    Fully paid up member of the ignore button club.
    If it walks like a Duck, quacks like a Duck, it's a Duck.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 13th Sep 17, 5:19 PM
    • 29,781 Posts
    • 17,806 Thanks
    getmore4less
    What evidence or proposal went along with this early release request that showed the business would not suffer?
    • jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 13th Sep 17, 7:53 PM
    • 18,689 Posts
    • 18,974 Thanks
    jobbingmusician
    And do you have any holiday due, which you could use to reduce the 3m period?
    I'm the Board Guide on the Matched Betting; Referrers and Jobseeking & Training boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

The good folk of the matched betting board are now (I hope!) supporting Macmillan, in memory of Fifigrace. Visit
    https://www.gofundme.com/running-the-leeds-10k-for-macmillan
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 13th Sep 17, 8:31 PM
    • 3,874 Posts
    • 3,943 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    And do you have any holiday due, which you could use to reduce the 3m period?
    Originally posted by jobbingmusician
    If holiday hasn't already been booked the employer is not obliged to allow it to be taken, unless it's coming up to the end of the holiday year. They can say they will pay for the holiday due instead.
    • jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 13th Sep 17, 8:48 PM
    • 18,689 Posts
    • 18,974 Thanks
    jobbingmusician
    Agreed. I probably should have written 'which you might be allowed to use to reduce....'
    I'm the Board Guide on the Matched Betting; Referrers and Jobseeking & Training boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

The good folk of the matched betting board are now (I hope!) supporting Macmillan, in memory of Fifigrace. Visit
    https://www.gofundme.com/running-the-leeds-10k-for-macmillan
    • vouch0r
    • By vouch0r 13th Sep 17, 8:52 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    vouch0r
    how would your new employer feel if you did the same there?

its a contract for a reason to protect the employee and the employer.
    3 month is certainly not unreasonable and usually the length for not the average UK salary i assume.

tell your new employer you have tried and expect to the full 3. perhaps if you help train the new person they may let you leave sooner?
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 13th Sep 17, 9:22 PM
    • 5,874 Posts
    • 7,622 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    Who would make this sort of decision in your work place? It's likely that your employer may want to discuss it, perhaps talk to your immediate boss and head of your department to consider what projects there are, what holiday people have booked, how easy it will be to cover your role and how easy you will be to replace, before they make their decision.

Since those kinds of conversations and considerations take little while I think that a couple of weeks before they come back to you would be perfectly reasonable. If you followed up yesterday I'd give it another week before you do so again.

In the mean time, if your new job is asking you then I think the best thing to do is say you think you'll be held to the full notice period but will let them know if that changes.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

83Posts Today

1,851Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin