Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sanova76
    • By sanova76 13th Sep 17, 2:00 PM
    • 73Posts
    • 6Thanks
    sanova76
    time off whilst temping
    • 13th Sep 17, 2:00 PM
    time off whilst temping 13th Sep 17 at 2:00 PM
    Hi,

I've been made redundant recently. I'm thinking to take on an agency temporary job whilst looking for a permanent one.

My question is, will I be allowed time off to attend a job interview? It's been awhile since I do this. And I assumed you won't get paid for every time off you take?

Thanks.

San
Page 1
    • Scorpio33
    • By Scorpio33 13th Sep 17, 2:41 PM
    • 471 Posts
    • 669 Thanks
    Scorpio33
    • 13th Sep 17, 2:41 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 2:41 PM
    I doubt they will allow you (paid) time off for interviews, but you can be more open with them and ask for time off for interviews for a permanent role. Will they allow it? Well it depends on the role.

Most temporary roles are there to solve a short term issue (higher workloads or reduced staff), so you are needed there, in which case it is unlikely they could allow you to have time off. No harm in asking though.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 13th Sep 17, 2:42 PM
    • 60,714 Posts
    • 354,894 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 13th Sep 17, 2:42 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 2:42 PM
    Agencies expect a lot of staff to be in your position. Tell them that from the start - they might even find jobs for you to apply for.

Then, be open with the employer. They have hired a temp, most expect temps to be in your position.

You should have no problems in the majority of temp jobs in getting time off for interviews. You are correct that any time you take off you will not be paid for. If you HAVE accumulated sufficient annual leave time from the agency they may pay you by this method if you want to cash that time in.
    • keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • By keepcalmandstayoutofdebt 13th Sep 17, 6:31 PM
    • 2,915 Posts
    • 1,513 Thanks
    keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • 13th Sep 17, 6:31 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 6:31 PM
    Hi,

I've been made redundant recently. I'm thinking to take on an agency temporary job whilst looking for a permanent one.

My question is, will I be allowed time off to attend a job interview? It's been awhile since I do this. And I assumed you won't get paid for every time off you take?

Thanks.

San
    Originally posted by sanova76
    Depends on assignment level, if for example 6 months plus or maternity cover I shouldn't imagine anyone would really want to hear about needing time of for interviews. Just personal experience, though who is to stop you.

You could try for a job that is weekend working with time off during the week to arrange interviews elsewhere so like I say not all lost, I think that is more easier then committing to straight Mon-Fri dead office hours if in the worse case you don't take to the assignment or it's not right.

You might also want to check out how references are dealt with and if you will be eligible for one - should you not see the assignment out. long termish assignment here and we just found the policy from 2016 which states you are given a letter on leaving which confirms your job title and dates ONLY and it's up to you to take the letter to present to any future prospective employers - I only say as one of the other temps got upset on learning this.
    "If you are caught in a rainstorm, once you accept that you'll receive a soaking, the only thing left to do is enjoy the walk"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,722Posts Today

9,073Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Sadly for those buying jointly "Where there are joint purchasers, all purchasers would need to be first-time buyers. "

• First time buyers usually defined as someone who has never owned or part owned a property https://t.co/yM3urZNs8z

• You will not pay stamp duty https://t.co/vHoCWiUXfo

• Follow Martin