Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kelvinos
    • By Kelvinos 13th Sep 17, 1:47 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Kelvinos
    IVA Help
    • 13th Sep 17, 1:47 PM
    IVA Help 13th Sep 17 at 1:47 PM
    Hi guys
    I'm just after a bit of advice. My wife started an IVA in May 2012 with payplan, the original proposal was for 5 years and paying £9982 this was modified to paying £13,900 over 6 years due to her car finance ending during the IVA so she would be able to pay more back once this had ended. Since the start of the IVA my wife has worked hard and earned several promotions, She has informed payplan of any increase in wages etc and they have adjusted her payments in line with their protocol and as it stands like I stated earlier the agreed repayment total was £13,900 and to date she has paid £13,200 with another 10 payments of £328 left so by my calculations that means if she carries on at this rate she will have paid £16,480 at the end of this.
    My question is has anyone on here heard of it happening or had an IVA finished early themselves, I'm only asking as we have just gone through a round of IVF and it's looking like we are going to be parents and was wandering if it would be worth while pursuing an early completion.
    Any help would be gratefully received
Page 1
  • National Debtline
    • 13th Sep 17, 3:50 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 3:50 PM
    Hi Kelvinos and welcome to MSE,

First of all, congratulations on your good news.

With regard to the IVA, all you can do is put these calculations to Payplan and see if they would be willing to put the early completion idea to the creditors for consideration. You will need to check the terms and conditions of the IVA; what you have described about increased payments all seems to be fairly standard, and if it is within the T & C's of the IVA they may not be obligated to consider any early settlement proposal, however, that doesn't mean you cannot ask.

Remember that failure to maintain the IVA can result in a failure which carries with it a risk of bankruptcy. It would seem a shame to let an IVA fail at this stage if it can be avoided.

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
    • Kelvinos
    • By Kelvinos 13th Sep 17, 4:05 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Kelvinos
    • 13th Sep 17, 4:05 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 4:05 PM
    Thank you for your reply Laura, We can maintain the IVA payments so seeing it through is not a problem but I thought if there was any chance of getting out of it early it would be a bonus.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,607Posts Today

8,204Users online

Martin's Twitter