Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mark hall
    • By Mark hall 13th Sep 17, 1:05 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Mark hall
    PRA Group
    • 13th Sep 17, 1:05 PM
    PRA Group 13th Sep 17 at 1:05 PM
    Hi, I received a letter from this company saying I owed them £2177.00 dated 2003, I've never heard of them and do not want to pay.
    I've read on here about statute barred, which sounds like something I should do, I found this letter to send it.
    My question is, should I contact them to ask what this is for, and when was the last date I paid it. And send it by letter.
    If they have no proof of a payment, or even a payment which is more 6 years ago, I can then send my letter. Thanks
Page 1
    • beebrook
    • By beebrook 13th Sep 17, 4:13 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    beebrook
    • 13th Sep 17, 4:13 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 4:13 PM
    It makes sense that you haven't heard of them. Lenders/DCAs often trade under several different names.

The idea of these letters is to scare you into paying - whether they're legit or not. So don't just palm it off because you haven't heard of them. Make sure that you definitely don't owe any money.
    Debt to date: £4731.75 - 97.2% left to go
    Debt upon joining (Sep'2017): £4,870 - Loans, Credit Cards & Nationwide Overdraft
  • National Debtline
    • 13th Sep 17, 5:45 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 5:45 PM
    Hi Mark

You could either send the prove it letter (find it in the sticky at the top of the board) or the statute barred letter. Either way it puts the onus on this company to either prove it is your debt or prove it is not statute barred. There’s no need for you to ask them for dates and payments, it will just create extra work for you.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,782Posts Today

8,952Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Sadly for those buying jointly "Where there are joint purchasers, all purchasers would need to be first-time buyers. "

• First time buyers usually defined as someone who has never owned or part owned a property https://t.co/yM3urZNs8z

• You will not pay stamp duty https://t.co/vHoCWiUXfo

• Follow Martin