Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lovesavingmoney
    • By lovesavingmoney 13th Sep 17, 12:54 PM
    • 38Posts
    • 3Thanks
    lovesavingmoney
    0 WOW
    Cdw
    • 13th Sep 17, 12:54 PM
    0 WOW
    Cdw 13th Sep 17 at 12:54 PM
    Advise on this....?

Hired a car via ebookers, and on the confirmation it says: (copy & pasted)

Collision damage waiver details
    Collision damage waiver (CDW) includes excess of £1,500.00
    CDW excludes damage or loss to tyres, windscreen, glass and undercarriage

Not included in price
    Credit card deposit

That's it. When we arrived to collect the car, I was expecting a €500 deposit (we were in Ireland), as thats normally what we pay, but it was €1500 which we didn't have on a CC, so had to pay an extra €148 to reduce excess to 0.

I'm arguing with ebookers and the rental company, that we weren't informed the CC deposit would be so hire, so find the extra €148 charges unfair. They clearly don't bother fixing damage either, as we had a 3 year old car, with dents and scratches all over it!

ebookers have come back and said:
    "I reviewed your booking details and it clearly indicates that 'Collision damage waiver (CDW) includes, with an excess of €1500."

I don't agree with them that that is clearly indicated as above...??

Anyone more knowledgeable, and can advise exactly what the booking confirmation means? To me, it means the £1500 excess is included (even though it should have been euros...)
Page 1
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 13th Sep 17, 2:28 PM
    • 2,910 Posts
    • 1,277 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 13th Sep 17, 2:28 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 2:28 PM
    The mention of an excess amount is an indication of it. If there were no excess it would say 'with zero excess' or similar, no mention of a figure.
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 13th Sep 17, 2:36 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    WAYT
    • 13th Sep 17, 2:36 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 2:36 PM
    Advise on this....?

Hired a car via ebookers, and on the confirmation it says: (copy & pasted)

Collision damage waiver details
    Collision damage waiver (CDW) includes excess of £1,500.00
    CDW excludes damage or loss to tyres, windscreen, glass and undercarriage

Not included in price
    Credit card deposit

That's it. When we arrived to collect the car, I was expecting a €500 deposit (we were in Ireland), as thats normally what we pay, but it was €1500 which we didn't have on a CC, so had to pay an extra €148 to reduce excess to 0.

I'm arguing with ebookers and the rental company, that we weren't informed the CC deposit would be so hire, so find the extra €148 charges unfair. They clearly don't bother fixing damage either, as we had a 3 year old car, with dents and scratches all over it!

ebookers have come back and said:
    "I reviewed your booking details and it clearly indicates that 'Collision damage waiver (CDW) includes, with an excess of €1500."

I don't agree with them that that is clearly indicated as above...??

Anyone more knowledgeable, and can advise exactly what the booking confirmation means? To me, it means the £1500 excess is included (even though it should have been euros...)
    Originally posted by lovesavingmoney
    You have got it wrong in this case.

an excess of £1500 it is the limit of what you have to pay in the event of an incident.

How else would it make sense to you?? That they would give you £1500 in the event of a collision?
    Forget about it. It was your mistake.
    • lovesavingmoney
    • By lovesavingmoney 13th Sep 17, 5:03 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    lovesavingmoney
    • 13th Sep 17, 5:03 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 5:03 PM
    You have got it wrong in this case.

an excess of £1500 it is the limit of what you have to pay in the event of an incident.

How else would it make sense to you?? That they would give you £1500 in the event of a collision?
    Forget about it. It was your mistake.
    Originally posted by WAYT
    Woah Wayt!! No - of course I didn't think they would give me money in the event of an accident - I just (wrongly) assumed the excess was covered in the CDW!!!

My misunderstanding then. My husband booked it, I usually do and read everything so I am aware, but only saw the confirmation.

The way I read it, I took it to mean the excess was included in the CDW, as it said CDW included the excess of...

My bad! I thought it would just be the normal 500 hold on cc, for tyres, windscreen etc, so was shocked they wanted 1500. The car wasn't even worth that!!!
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 13th Sep 17, 5:19 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    WAYT
    • 13th Sep 17, 5:19 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 5:19 PM
    Woah Wayt!! No - of course I didn't think they would give me money in the event of an accident - I just (wrongly) assumed the excess was covered in the CDW!!!

My misunderstanding then. My husband booked it, I usually do and read everything so I am aware, but only saw the confirmation.

The way I read it, I took it to mean the excess was included in the CDW, as it said CDW included the excess of...

My bad! I thought it would just be the normal 500 hold on cc, for tyres, windscreen etc, so was shocked they wanted 1500. The car wasn't even worth that!!!
    Originally posted by lovesavingmoney

They don't usually take any money, but just take an authorisation to take the 1500€. Did you let them attempt it?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

495Posts Today

4,841Users online

Martin's Twitter