Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • canadianBill
    • By canadianBill 13th Sep 17, 12:42 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 3Thanks
    canadianBill
    HSBC Advance - hassle for switching accounts
    • 13th Sep 17, 12:42 PM
    HSBC Advance - hassle for switching accounts 13th Sep 17 at 12:42 PM
    Hello Everyone,

I wanted to share what I thought was a good deal but led to more issues than not with HSBC. Firstly I had been with Lloyds for many years and decided to switch to HSBC since I fulfilled the correct criteria and thought it would be nice to get £150 bonus for switching along with other features.

To begin with, I had to go through extra checks than other bank switches and the process was exceedingly long. When I applied for the switch it did not work and I was told I needed to go into a branch to complete the switch instead of online, which put me off. That was the first month. So instead I opted to go with TSB which had a similar deal for £130 switching accounts, which worked seamlessly and quickly. They also pay into one's account £5 every month for 2 or more direct debits.

In the second month I realised that HSBC had messed up my name for online banking even though it was printed correctly on my debit card. So I had to go through various call centres to ask for this to be amended but was passed around and told I needed to go into the branch (despite this being an online problem) to sort this out.

In the third month I logged onto my account online and found all of my Payees had been erased which did not allow me to make any payments or transfers. I tried their online service which didn't work and directed me to call them which they did. They explained there was a 'problem' with the account and I had to go on hold for quite some time. Eventually they were able to fix this problem and the names magically reappeared.

Three months with a problem each month for HSBC. Perhaps other people have had great experiences with HSBC but I am very unhappy with their services and will likely close down this account. Considering this is a global company I am surprised that they have had a host of issues from beginning to end.

This is just a heads up to people considering a switch. I would suggest don't be tempted by the £150 switching bonus if it means lots of hassle when TSB did the switch within a few days completely hassle free (including moving over all DDs and standing orders as well as PAYE instructions into the account).

Anyway, rant over.
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,953Posts Today

6,287Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin