Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Netskee
    • By Netskee 13th Sep 17, 12:08 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Netskee
    Valuation
    • 13th Sep 17, 12:08 PM
    Valuation 13th Sep 17 at 12:08 PM
    Hi. I'm a first time buyer and we have found a house that we love. We put in an offer of the full asking price and it was accepted. We have had a home buyers survey and the valuation on that came back at 5000 less than what we offered. Should we re negotiate? There was also a report of damp but after another survey from a damp company they have said that it's just the new plaster drying out. The house has been gutted and everything started again from scratch so there's nothing I can pick fault with really.

Any help would be great. Thanks
Page 1
    • Natbag
    • By Natbag 13th Sep 17, 12:15 PM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 802 Thanks
    Natbag
    • 13th Sep 17, 12:15 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 12:15 PM
    This just happened to us, but on the property we are selling - by £10k.
    It's definitely worth re-negotiating as the sellers could go back to market, but run the risk that a) they'll struggle to get another buyer and potentially lose out on their own purchase and b) another valuation could come back the same. For such a small amount, it could be distributed up the chain, for example, of that £5k you put in £1k, they knock off £2k and the house they are buying knock off £2k (if applicable). This is what we are looking to do at the moment.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 13th Sep 17, 12:16 PM
    • 9,798 Posts
    • 12,420 Thanks
    hazyjo
    • 13th Sep 17, 12:16 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 12:16 PM
    Yes, you can certainly try. Although the seller is under no obligation to drop the price.

Can you afford it if they won't drop?

It seems to happen fairly frequently when someone offers full price (not sure why anyone would unless it's just come on the market or if properties having 30 people at an open day).
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies); Avon lippies; cowhide rug; Windsor luxury break, foundation; Flybe flight
    • Netskee
    • By Netskee 13th Sep 17, 12:41 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Netskee
    • 13th Sep 17, 12:41 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 12:41 PM
    It had just come on the market and we were the first to view. There is no chain either end so it makes me wonder if they will just re market it if I try. Kicking myself I didn't offer less in the first place
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,298Posts Today

8,946Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Sneaky NAKED photo... ...of the room where many political and regional TV interviews are done. This is before the? https://t.co/fDdeKQOQuU

• The Premium Bond rate is being boosted from 1.15% to 1.4% should you pile in? My analysis... https://t.co/3Q7tjphAFO

• RT @colinjdunn: First #Plevin cheque received this morning - £548.66 from Nationwide & with other claims still outstanding - so thanks @Mar?

• Follow Martin