Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • marchamona
    • By marchamona 13th Sep 17, 12:02 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 1Thanks
    marchamona
    Compensation received, but exchange rate??
    • 13th Sep 17, 12:02 PM
    Compensation received, but exchange rate?? 13th Sep 17 at 12:02 PM
    Thanks to recommendations from MSE, I claimed from Ryanair for a 3 hour + delay. Sent claim form with bank details (UK bank) as requested, then a few days later received an email saying they'd pay me €500. Too much, the official amount should have been €400. Couple of days later another email telling me a 'cheque' would be dispatched to my home address.so why did they need bank details? Amount was €400, converted to sterling at a rate that nowhere on this planet could you get at the time (2 weeks ago). Cheque was for £ 295.40, meaning exchange rate was 1.35 euros to the pound sterling. Very pleased and grateful for the compensation....but that exchange rate!!
Page 1
    • JPears
    • By JPears 13th Sep 17, 1:20 PM
    • 3,255 Posts
    • 910 Thanks
    JPears
    • 13th Sep 17, 1:20 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 1:20 PM
    That is an unacceptable exchange rate. If a case goes to court the judge will award on the exchange rate at the time of his judgment, not the time of the al delay. I suspect RA have doen the reverse as its in their favour. Complain and demand an additional amount using todays exchange rate. Point out that you have already corrected them once, when you could have kept quiet and accepted arpayment than was due.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • legal magpie
    • By legal magpie 14th Sep 17, 9:51 AM
    • 757 Posts
    • 356 Thanks
    legal magpie
    • 14th Sep 17, 9:51 AM
    • 14th Sep 17, 9:51 AM
    This is right but as you've now had the compensation it would not be sensible to sue them for the exchange rate difference.
    • Vauban
    • By Vauban 14th Sep 17, 2:29 PM
    • 4,707 Posts
    • 2,085 Thanks
    Vauban
    • 14th Sep 17, 2:29 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 2:29 PM
    This is right but as you've now had the compensation it would not be sensible to sue them for the exchange rate difference.
    Originally posted by legal magpie
    Not sure I agree: the difference is £60! That's an outrageous exchange rate that deserves slapping down (they've paid only €330 in practice).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

516Posts Today

5,097Users online

Martin's Twitter