Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Andrea1589
    • By Andrea1589 13th Sep 17, 11:38 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Andrea1589
    Returning to work after maternity impossible
    • 13th Sep 17, 11:38 AM
    Returning to work after maternity impossible 13th Sep 17 at 11:38 AM
    I am at my wits end. I have recently had a new baby and am desperate to return to work. I was earning 330 a week before maternity i am now earning 140 pw smp. Having spoke to tax credits i have learned by going back to work i would get 25 pw childcare help for a 165 pw bill plus my tax credits will drop by 40 pw. It basically means by going back to work 40 hours to my original job i would be 10 pound a week better off. I dont understand this. They are making it impossible for me to return to work and having worked all my life this is really taking a toll on my mental state. If anyone can offer advice or anyone in a simaler situation can advise that would be greatly appreciated.
Page 2
    • bexy_v
    • By bexy_v 13th Sep 17, 8:25 PM
    • 339 Posts
    • 557 Thanks
    bexy_v
    I couldn't afford a second until little one was 6 plus as our nursery bill was 3 days a week with no help bar the childcare vouchers you buy pre-tax and was £49 a day... a lot of my fellow working mums are the same and heading unto late thirties for second and last children as its what you can afford...to be fair to the poster she sounds like she wants to work and she has worked... its a shock esp unplanned. Its not like one lady i know who is on number 6 and never worked. There is a lot of support if workplaces are flexible which of course is the other issue. personally i love working, the adult conversations, hot coffee and feeling like im doing something is great lol

Good luck to the poster whichever way she chooses
    Competition Wins 2017: Humans Boxset : £25 Cheque, Lego Batman Goodies
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 13th Sep 17, 8:46 PM
    • 4,028 Posts
    • 6,522 Thanks
    sangie595
    I think her point is they are making it not worth it. Since they give you £x amount to sit on her bum, really you'd think they would make it in favour for people to go to work. I appreciate this sort-of counters what I just said in a way, but the government aren't really helping Mother's back into work since they just pay them to stay at home the same as they would at work pratically.
    Originally posted by Kayalana99
    Why should "they" make it worthwhile? There are plenty of unemployed. So if the OP wants to sit around on her bum on benefits and lose all her employment skills, ensuring that she and her child are headed for a life of poverty, who are we to get in her way? "They" are every taxpayer, and why would be want to pay her to have children AND work, and probably end up better off than plenty of people paying the taxes!
    Your confused here, she would be in a substantial worse position then before she had the baby, but not much better off then what she is now if she returned to work rather then stayed at home.
    Originally posted by Kayalana99
    No. I think it's you that is confused. She didn't have to get pregnant. She didn't have to have the baby. These are choices she made. Her, and presumably somebody else. Why should we pay for her to make those choices and also work? Having children costs money. For a long time. Are you suggesting that the OP was too stupid to understand that? Did she genuinely think that the rest of us would pay for her lifestyle? And she'd be better off?

It's a crying shame that producing children doesn't make you wealthy so that you have to expect everyone else to pay for you. And even more regrettable that the stress of everyone else not paying for the child means that one's mental health is at risk. Do I detect yet another benefit claim in the making?

This is the sort of thing that gives the majority of benefit claimants a bad name.
    • pioneer22
    • By pioneer22 13th Sep 17, 9:09 PM
    • 417 Posts
    • 155 Thanks
    pioneer22
    No sympathy here...... should have thought about this before you had your baby.

Where is the father in all of this?

God help yet another child.
    • Arshad 00
    • By Arshad 00 14th Sep 17, 11:57 AM
    • 422 Posts
    • 944 Thanks
    Arshad 00
    I am at my wits end. I have recently had a new baby and am desperate to return to work. I was earning 330 a week before maternity i am now earning 140 pw smp. Having spoke to tax credits i have learned by going back to work i would get 25 pw childcare help for a 165 pw bill plus my tax credits will drop by 40 pw. It basically means by going back to work 40 hours to my original job i would be 10 pound a week better off. I dont understand this. They are making it impossible for me to return to work and having worked all my life this is really taking a toll on my mental state. If anyone can offer advice or anyone in a simaler situation can advise that would be greatly appreciated.
    Originally posted by Andrea1589
    Take your pick luv.

Its good to have a choice.
    • wellynever
    • By wellynever 14th Sep 17, 3:15 PM
    • 735 Posts
    • 999 Thanks
    wellynever
    Take your pick luv.

Its good to have a choice.
    Originally posted by Arshad 00
    Out of DT Flame And

You know what happens.
    • Alter ego
    • By Alter ego 15th Sep 17, 8:44 AM
    • 2,164 Posts
    • 2,080 Thanks
    Alter ego
    I wonder if the op will return to her thread considering the responses she has had which have been sound advise,but probably not what she wanted to hear.
    Originally posted by bigbulldog
    I think she may have returned and reported a post I made which has been removed. I made a comment similar to many here regarding being subsidised by taxpayers.
    Ignore me if you like, it's not the real me anyway.
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 15th Sep 17, 9:46 AM
    • 4,654 Posts
    • 2,940 Thanks
    Darksparkle
    I think she may have returned and reported a post I made which has been removed. I made a comment similar to many here regarding being subsidised by taxpayers.
    Originally posted by Alter ego
    Likely because the forum rules are to give advice on benefit entitlement and not your opinion on whether it's right or wrong.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 15th Sep 17, 9:49 AM
    • 15,289 Posts
    • 38,383 Thanks
    elsien
    Likely because the forum rules are to give advice on benefit entitlement and not your opinion on whether it's right or wrong.
    Originally posted by Darksparkle
    True, but that was being strictly adhere to there'd be far less posts on here. Which does yet again make me wonder why some posts are removed and not others saying fairly similar things.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,573Posts Today

9,445Users online

Martin's Twitter