Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kara_p_uk
    • By kara_p_uk 13th Sep 17, 11:17 AM
    • 73Posts
    • 9Thanks
    kara_p_uk
    Can costs relating to internment of ashes be claimed?
    • 13th Sep 17, 11:17 AM
    Can costs relating to internment of ashes be claimed? 13th Sep 17 at 11:17 AM
    Hi

My father died in April of this year and wished for his ashes to be buried with his parents. The cemetery is in the North on England (we are near London) there will be 7 of us travelling up and I wondered whether the cost of hiring a car and petrol costs can be claimed from the estate so the burden doesn't fall on the person hiring/driving. (These costs are about £400)

5 of us have agreed to share the costs, one has learning difficulties and can't contribute and the other we find difficult to approach to ask to share the cost but the expectation is they will be travelling with us.

If we can claim the cost back from the estate that would be much easier as that way effectively everyone has contributed as the value of the estate for beneficiaries is reduced.

Thanks
    Balance transfer 0% = £3707.01.
    Purchase balance = £1,034.28.
    Home improvement loan = £10740
    Mortgage £205468.12
    Spanish Mortgage £25000
Page 1
    • iolanthe07
    • By iolanthe07 13th Sep 17, 11:37 AM
    • 4,861 Posts
    • 4,595 Thanks
    iolanthe07
    • 13th Sep 17, 11:37 AM
    • 13th Sep 17, 11:37 AM
    I was able to cover the cost of interment (not internment - that means something completely different!) of ashes for my mother. The funeral director just added it to the other fees and it was paid out of the estate before probate. I don't see why travel costs can't be included.
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 13th Sep 17, 11:48 AM
    • 29,788 Posts
    • 17,813 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 13th Sep 17, 11:48 AM
    • 13th Sep 17, 11:48 AM
    there are two things to consider, when deducting expenses from an estate.

Are they acceptable to HMRC to reduce any IHT.

Will the residual beneficiaries be happy with them as ultimately they are the ones paying..
    Last edited by getmore4less; 13-09-2017 at 12:29 PM.
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 13th Sep 17, 11:57 AM
    • 2,964 Posts
    • 2,319 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    • 13th Sep 17, 11:57 AM
    • 13th Sep 17, 11:57 AM
    Hi

My father died in April of this year and wished for his ashes to be buried with his parents. The cemetery is in the North on England (we are near London) there will be 7 of us travelling up and I wondered whether the cost of hiring a car and petrol costs can be claimed from the estate so the burden doesn't fall on the person hiring/driving. (These costs are about £400)

5 of us have agreed to share the costs, one has learning difficulties and can't contribute and the other we find difficult to approach to ask to share the cost but the expectation is they will be travelling with us.

If we can claim the cost back from the estate that would be much easier as that way effectively everyone has contributed as the value of the estate for beneficiaries is reduced.

Thanks
    Originally posted by kara_p_uk
    This is not a legitimate expense for the estate to bear. The actual costs charged by graveyard to inter the ashes would be legitimate.
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 13th Sep 17, 1:17 PM
    • 28,225 Posts
    • 71,812 Thanks
    Mojisola
    • 13th Sep 17, 1:17 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 1:17 PM
    The cemetery is in the North on England (we are near London) there will be 7 of us travelling up and I wondered whether the cost of hiring a car and petrol costs can be claimed from the estate so the burden doesn't fall on the person hiring/driving. (These costs are about £400)

Why not ask a clear question - are you going to join us in hiring a van (£x upfront, please) or make your own way up north?
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 13th Sep 17, 2:31 PM
    • 2,964 Posts
    • 2,319 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    • 13th Sep 17, 2:31 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 2:31 PM
    there are two things to consider, when deducting expenses from an estate.

Are they acceptable to HMRC to reduce any IHT.

Will the residual beneficiaries be happy with them as ultimately they are the ones paying..
    Originally posted by getmore4less
    Travelling expenses for those attending the funeral would not be legitimate to HMR&C nor should the residuary beneficiaries be expected to pay.
    • kara_p_uk
    • By kara_p_uk 13th Sep 17, 2:37 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    kara_p_uk
    • 13th Sep 17, 2:37 PM
    Travelling expenses for those attending the funeral would not be legitimate to HMR&C nor should the residuary beneficiaries be expected to pay.
    Originally posted by Yorkshireman99
    All the beneficiaries will be travelling and we have already paid to attend the funeral this is to bury my father's ashes not the funeral.

As an aside, are funeral cars carrying family to the funeral not a legitimate expense then?
    Mortgage £205468.12
    Spanish Mortgage £25000
    • kara_p_uk
    • By kara_p_uk 13th Sep 17, 2:37 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    kara_p_uk
    Why not ask a clear question - are you going to join us in hiring a van (£x upfront, please) or make your own way up north?
    Originally posted by Mojisola
    Believe me if it were that easy I would. x
    Mortgage £205468.12
    Spanish Mortgage £25000
    • Linton
    • By Linton 13th Sep 17, 3:44 PM
    • 8,203 Posts
    • 8,073 Thanks
    Linton
    • 13th Sep 17, 3:44 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 3:44 PM
    All the beneficiaries will be travelling and we have already paid to attend the funeral this is to bury my father's ashes not the funeral.

As an aside, are funeral cars carrying family to the funeral not a legitimate expense then?
    Funeral cars that are used as part of the ceremony are fine, but that's usually just a short drive from the deceased's home/hospital to the ceremony. What could be questioned is paying for the relatives' travel costs to get to the fiuneral.
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 13th Sep 17, 4:44 PM
    • 28,225 Posts
    • 71,812 Thanks
    Mojisola
    Believe me if it were that easy I would. x
    Put it in writing?

Usually if you offer someone two options, they will chose one.

If you ask a more open question like 'Will you share the costs of hiring the vehicle?", they have the option of saying no.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

201Posts Today

1,672Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin