Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • joeypesci
    • By joeypesci 13th Sep 17, 11:15 AM
    • 379Posts
    • 120Thanks
    joeypesci
    Three
    • 13th Sep 17, 11:15 AM
    Three 13th Sep 17 at 11:15 AM
    I'm aware I probably have no rights with the following issue but just curious on others thoughts other than "You idiot".

So I have been with Three for many years, I'm technically out of contract as the 2 year contract is long up and I've just never bothered to sort out a new one.

Because the account is quite old, back when going over 1GB wasn't ever going to happen, it was still on a network limit of just over 1GB. I got a new sim free phone recently and because the camera is much better I've been taking lots of photos and sending them to friends. Also the odd YouTube stream but not for very long, only the odd 10-15mins here or there. However, I realise the YouTube streams were HD so will have hit the 1GB quite quick.

I got a text warning me yesterday but didn't hear it, that I was getting close. Then when I hit the limit the charges started to happen. Got hit with a few before I noticed the text messages at which point I disabled data. However, I note on the message it says "check your usage free at My3". So I go to My3 on the mobile via WIFI. It says "Why not use the app instead". So I download it and try to set it up. But no, it only works with mobile data. So I turn that back on to quickly setup and then obviously get charged again.

I'm visiting the Three store today to question this and change my data plan. Surely if their site adviced me to use the phone app instead, then didn't warn me that it only works with mobile data at which point I'd be charged, surely as a "good will gesture" they could drop those charges they hit me with yesterday.

We'll see what they say later.
Page 1
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 13th Sep 17, 11:26 AM
    • 4,676 Posts
    • 9,365 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 13th Sep 17, 11:26 AM
    • 13th Sep 17, 11:26 AM
    The text warned you that you were close. Using data at the point of the text was possible as you werent at your limit.

You chose to switch it back on when you knew you were over the limit.

Does your phone/3 not allow you to cap it completely so you cant go over. o2 do.

They may refund it, they may not, but you wont get it on the basis of you reading a text too late...
    Survey Earnings 2017 - £163
    • joeypesci
    • By joeypesci 13th Sep 17, 11:50 AM
    • 379 Posts
    • 120 Thanks
    joeypesci
    • 13th Sep 17, 11:50 AM
    • 13th Sep 17, 11:50 AM
    Phone is new and I've never come close to the limit before so never set the limit. But yeah. The texts were all out of order as well, so would say "You've spent £44.45", the next text it said the full amount was £19.95

I'll see what they say. I'll get them to put a cap lock on as well so even if wanted to, couldn't go over the limit.
    • anmarj
    • By anmarj 13th Sep 17, 3:13 PM
    • 1,593 Posts
    • 1,250 Thanks
    anmarj
    • 13th Sep 17, 3:13 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 3:13 PM
    It may need to use mobile data in the first place to set up the app, i know Vodafone does it that way then you can use the wifi aferwards
    mummy to one

"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing"
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 13th Sep 17, 3:34 PM
    • 321 Posts
    • 457 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    • 13th Sep 17, 3:34 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 3:34 PM
    I got a text warning me yesterday but didn't hear it, that I was getting close.
    Did you not see the message, as you continued to use the phone?

Your phone should have an app that allows you to self limit the amount of data you can use. Get it set up now!
    • joeypesci
    • By joeypesci 13th Sep 17, 3:39 PM
    • 379 Posts
    • 120 Thanks
    joeypesci
    • 13th Sep 17, 3:39 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 3:39 PM
    It may need to use mobile data in the first place to set up the app, i know Vodafone does it that way then you can use the wifi aferwards
    Originally posted by anmarj
    Unfortunately not it only works on mobile data. I believe it uses your account details to automatically log you in. If it was on WIFI it would then need login details which aren't an option. It just says its failed to connect and that requires mobile data.

An Update
    -------------

The Three store couldn't do anything about the charges as they couldn't even see them. I signed up for the 30GB data plan and it's only 12 months so if I don't get near that I'll go on a cheaper and lower one next year. The store advised me to contact customer service to sort out the extra charge issue.

I started recording software up on the phone to record the call in case I needed it.

So I called them up and said my piece. I was polite and told them I've been out of contract for years, been with them since 2008 so I've been loyal and never gone over before. The guy said he couldn't do anything about it, mainly due to not being authorised but also said Three normally won't drop those fees. I told them in that's the case, considering I've been with them for so many years, I'll cancel the 12 month contract I've just signed up to under the calling off period, and I'll just go with another provider.

He said he'd put be through to someone who might be able to help. A nice lady aswered and I explained the history. She said she was limited what she could remove but she'll speak to someone else (it had hit £100 extra charge. Appears my old tariff was so old the charges were stupid amounts). She came back and said because I'd been with them so long and it was the first time, they'd remove all charges. So all good. I also asked her, because the new contract doesn't start for another few days, if they can put a limit on the old traffif which she's done.

I then informed her as they warn us they record the calls when we ring, that I'd recorded my call. She said OK but that she doesn't give permissions for it to be used elsewhere. I said OK.

Then got off the phone and thought "is that right, can she object?" appears under RIPA she can. I can use the call for my own use, but if the person at the other end doesn't give concent for it to be used elsewhere, then it can't be used. Unless its deemed of public interest. Interesting.
    • Fosterdog
    • By Fosterdog 13th Sep 17, 4:39 PM
    • 3,161 Posts
    • 5,461 Thanks
    Fosterdog
    • 13th Sep 17, 4:39 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 4:39 PM
    You shouldn't be charged for accessing the my3 app or their website. I've been dealing with 3 on mobile data packages for years and when setting up new devices it's always been free to access their own services. Just think if you were on PAYG you wouldn't be able to top up if you couldn't access their services free
    • baza52
    • By baza52 13th Sep 17, 6:46 PM
    • 1,977 Posts
    • 1,924 Thanks
    baza52
    • 13th Sep 17, 6:46 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 6:46 PM
    agree, using the 3 app does not use any of your data allowance and your not charged for it.
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 14th Sep 17, 12:43 AM
    • 831 Posts
    • 552 Thanks
    dj1471
    • 14th Sep 17, 12:43 AM
    • 14th Sep 17, 12:43 AM
    With my 3 tariff (Advanced SIM contract) I have a hard cap, I have to buy an additional data bundle if I run out. Pretty sure this was setup as standard.
    • joeypesci
    • By joeypesci 14th Sep 17, 2:12 PM
    • 379 Posts
    • 120 Thanks
    joeypesci
    agree, using the 3 app does not use any of your data allowance and your not charged for it.
    Originally posted by baza52
    But as soon as I used it, I got another text message that I'd been charged.

Anyway, they've dropped all those charges now so all OK.

And the people at Three's end wouldn't say "the My3 app doesn't charge". When I mentioned to the last agent "If I use the My3 app now, I assume I'll get charge again". She said "Probably".
    • 85 East
    • By 85 East 14th Sep 17, 4:11 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    85 East
    But as soon as I used it, I got another text message that I'd been charged.

Anyway, they've dropped all those charges now so all OK.

And the people at Three's end wouldn't say "the My3 app doesn't charge". When I mentioned to the last agent "If I use the My3 app now, I assume I'll get charge again". She said "Probably".
    Originally posted by joeypesci
    Some of the links from within the app send you through to three's website on the phone's browser- or at least they did when I last tried to see new sim plans with the app. I suspect this may be when you start to incur data charges
    • Lip_Stick
    • By Lip_Stick 14th Sep 17, 7:09 PM
    • 2,125 Posts
    • 5,823 Thanks
    Lip_Stick
    I'm another person who has been with 3 for a long while and have my data capped so once I use my allowance, I can't use any more unless I buy a bundle. Don't think I requested this, it was on by default.
    There's a storm coming, Cameron. You and your friends better batten down the hatches, because when it hits, you're all gonna wonder how you ever thought you could live so large and leave so little for the rest of us.
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 14th Sep 17, 7:15 PM
    • 4,601 Posts
    • 3,600 Thanks
    glentoran99
    I have mine set where I cant be charged for anything outside my usual bill, a wee toggle box on the website,
    • joeypesci
    • By joeypesci 15th Sep 17, 12:22 PM
    • 379 Posts
    • 120 Thanks
    joeypesci
    I'm another person who has been with 3 for a long while and have my data capped so once I use my allowance, I can't use any more unless I buy a bundle. Don't think I requested this, it was on by default.
    Originally posted by Lip_Stick
    Yes, new accounts are capped by default, but they said because mine was set back in 2008, they never bothered to cap them then, unless you asked.

The new account starts 19th, so I've asked if they can cap the current one in case, for some odd reason I turned data back on. They said they couldn't because the account was so old. However, she had a think about it and set the account to not allow credit, so I can't owe any credit to Three. She said that will then disable any more data going over the cap until the 19th.
    • joeypesci
    • By joeypesci 19th Sep 17, 6:06 PM
    • 379 Posts
    • 120 Thanks
    joeypesci
    Having done more testing I can confirm the My3 app doesn't work until you have data enabled. If you try it on WIFI it loads but you'll note it states "Last checked". If you then try to refresh it bring back the error "Check network connection". It only works when you have data connection.
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 19th Sep 17, 6:08 PM
    • 4,601 Posts
    • 3,600 Thanks
    glentoran99
    it doesn't use data from your allowance though
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 19th Sep 17, 7:18 PM
    • 3,198 Posts
    • 3,241 Thanks
    DoaM
    it's not supposed to doesn't use data from your allowance though
    Originally posted by glentoran99
    Tweaked based on OP's stated experience.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • qsk
    • By qsk 20th Sep 17, 11:22 AM
    • 218 Posts
    • 120 Thanks
    qsk
    Tweaked based on OP's stated experience.
    Originally posted by DoaM
    My3 will not cost you data on connection. But once the can is opened, the worms (aka background apps) will all go out...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,797Posts Today

7,314Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin