Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • femster82
    • By femster82 13th Sep 17, 11:12 AM
    • 18Posts
    • 0Thanks
    femster82
    Student Loan - Pay in full to avoid 24 month rule
    • 13th Sep 17, 11:12 AM
    Student Loan - Pay in full to avoid 24 month rule 13th Sep 17 at 11:12 AM
    Hi,

Hopefully someone can advise on this as it's doing my head in

I have a student loan with a balance I calculated at £3305 and I am paying around £215 per month through my salary. It was a loan taken in 2000 to 2004.

I work away from home a lot and I am about to hit the "24 month Rule" which mean my expenses will be shown in my wage slip even though they just cover the actual wrk expenses I have to pay. This causes a issue with student loan as they take out the % of salary no matter what.

I was thinking of paying off my loan before I hit this issue in November but I have a concern about then continuing to take out money from my salary as I have heard so many stories of this happening?

Also I read on this forum I could set up a direct debit to stop them from taking too much from my salary is this an option or just when you are near completion?

Thanks
Page 1
    • Lokolo
    • By Lokolo 13th Sep 17, 2:47 PM
    • 19,820 Posts
    • 14,874 Thanks
    Lokolo
    • 13th Sep 17, 2:47 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 2:47 PM
    As you are currently paying £215 and you have £3305 you should really already have phoned them and asked to switch to direct debit repayment.

I would do this now. It will take around 1-2 months to update PAYE to stop taking payments, then in month 3 or 4 your direct debits will start.

When you get close to £1,000 left, if you have the money I would then phone them up and ask them for a settlement figure to finish the loan off (this is what I did).
    • femster82
    • By femster82 13th Sep 17, 4:23 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    femster82
    • 13th Sep 17, 4:23 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 4:23 PM
    As you are currently paying £215 and you have £3305 you should really already have phoned them and asked to switch to direct debit repayment.

I would do this now. It will take around 1-2 months to update PAYE to stop taking payments, then in month 3 or 4 your direct debits will start.

When you get close to £1,000 left, if you have the money I would then phone them up and ask them for a settlement figure to finish the loan off (this is what I did).
    Originally posted by Lokolo
    Thanks, just did this and they set up a DD to start in December which is perfect. Like you said when I get to £1k I will probably pay it off as I'm trying to apply for a mortgage and any little helps.

Glad I came on here for help.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

722Posts Today

6,140Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin