Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nmcn86
    • By nmcn86 13th Sep 17, 10:50 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    nmcn86
    Online Brokers & Scrappage Deals
    • 13th Sep 17, 10:50 AM
    Online Brokers & Scrappage Deals 13th Sep 17 at 10:50 AM
    Hi all,

I'm in the process of looking for a new car to replace my 10yr old diesel which is starting to need numerous parts replaced.

I've looked at some of the manufacturer's scrappage deals which vary between £1k and £8k.

Now the chancer in me is wondering if it would be possible to combine the dealer discounts offered via online brokers such as drivethedeal or carwow, with the manufcaturer's scrappage discounts.

Has anyone on here tried this previously? I suspect it seems to good to be true but I can only ask!

Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 13th Sep 17, 12:28 PM
    • 7,049 Posts
    • 5,445 Thanks
    daveyjp
    • 13th Sep 17, 12:28 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 12:28 PM
    These schemes remind me of 'kids go free' deals on holidays.

The child is indeed free, but then they are classed as not actually going on the holiday so you end up paying an under-occupancy fee.

Like holiday companies car manufacturers don't give anything away - get a price with and without their scrappage "discount".

Drivethedeal provide all the smallprint as regards scrappage and the prices they quote.
    • wgl2014
    • By wgl2014 13th Sep 17, 12:35 PM
    • 271 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    wgl2014
    • 13th Sep 17, 12:35 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 12:35 PM
    Basically no. The small print shows most if not all of these 'deals' are only applicable if paying rrp on the car. You are likely to get a better deal via one of the brokers.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,462Posts Today

6,917Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin