Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nevill3
    • By nevill3 13th Sep 17, 10:48 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 2Thanks
    nevill3
    Free NHS Dental and Opticians for Students
    • 13th Sep 17, 10:48 AM
    Free NHS Dental and Opticians for Students 13th Sep 17 at 10:48 AM
    I have been searching the internet regarding the charges for NHS services for students going to university. The information I have found has been either wrong or ambiguous.

I have decided to post this to help future searchers find the correct information (correct in 2017)

Students that have finished their A levels but are continuing on to study at University receive Free NHS dental care until their 19th Birthday

The same is true for the NHS opticians services too, so they get a free examination and a voucher for glasses just like they do as a minor.

The NHS website is ambiguous in its statement that under 19 year olds receive free services whilst "in full time education". The "Full Time Education" is ambiguous and I have been unable to find a definitive explanantion of what it exactly means. However I rang the NHS dental line today (0300-3301348) and after explaining things was told that under 19s going to university are technically, as far as the NHS is concerned "still in full time education".

I hope this helps fellow parents.....I was also advised to get them to complete a HC1 application for when they turn 19.
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,318Posts Today

7,024Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin