Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bap98189
    • By bap98189 13th Sep 17, 10:32 AM
    • 2,452Posts
    • 3,976Thanks
    bap98189
    What is the strangest house you have viewed
    • 13th Sep 17, 10:32 AM
    What is the strangest house you have viewed 13th Sep 17 at 10:32 AM
    We've been looking at houses for the past 4 weeks or so and it has been a real eye opener. Some of the things people do to convert perfectly normal houses are just bizarre. Last week was a bungalow which had a loft conversion. Only they had put in a staircase and there must have been a beam they couldn't remove, because you had to duck every time you went upstairs. My OH is 5'4" and even she had to duck considerably.

But I think we may have seen the weirdest house yet last night. From the description it was a fairly standard bungalow which had a loft conversion. However, the owner was clearly in the building trade and had modified pretty much everything inside. The kitchen was now a very long, thin room. Almost like a galley kitchen, but so narrow, two people couldn't pass each other. Perhaps not the biggest problem in the world, but it did lead to the bathroom.

But it was the garden that threw us. He took us outside to look at the back garden and there were a total of 5 wooden sheds. The first contained the usual gardening stuff, but inside the next one was a fully fitted bathroom complete with tiled walls and a carpet. The other 3 contained a carpeted room with a sofa and a wide screen TV, and two were bedrooms complete with beds.

He proudly told us that because all these extra "rooms" were all in sheds, they didn't need planning permission, and he didn't have to pay council tax on them.

I doubt we shall be putting in an offer.

What's the weirdest house you have ever viewed?
Page 2
    • cloo
    • By cloo 14th Sep 17, 9:57 AM
    • 879 Posts
    • 767 Thanks
    cloo
    Probably the oddest one was a house it took us a little while to find of the road... you actually had to drive under an archway in some flats to the back, where there was a surprisingly nice, large 2-storey cottage adjacent to the flat's garages (which were to the side, out of view of the house)

The owners had bought the old caretaker's bungalow for the block and built the house there. It had a lovely and large walled garden, a slightly odd layout with a study at the front, a long narrow kitchen leading to a utility lean-to, and a large lounge/diner that took the whole width of the back of the house.

There were 4 good sized bedrooms and two bathrooms upstairs, but there were all in the eaves due to the cottage-style design.

My husband was very taken and given to making an offer. I was less sure given the loss of potential storage due to the eaves and the odd position. Indeed I started a thread here pondering whether it would be impossible to sell on, especially after another agent told us that this house had been on and off the market for a few years. The poor vendor had been trying to move since his wife had died. I hope he did manage to sell up eventually! It is a rare detached house in the area and very close to a good primary school so it will hopefully make someone a nice family home.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 14th Sep 17, 10:28 AM
    • 9,523 Posts
    • 12,012 Thanks
    hazyjo
    In all the houses (possibly 3 figures over the years) I've viewed, there's been no really weird ones - not that I can recall anyway! Maybe one I recently tried to buy with a pine clad ceiling with four full size speakers somehow fitted into it, face down. Four big black corners in the ceiling - had no idea what they were until I viewed!

I do however regularly dream that I've bought strange houses - usually with a lift in, sometimes with narrow doors/corridors/hidden rooms. But that's a whole other thread LOL.
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies); Avon lippies; cowhide rug; Windsor luxury break, foundation; Flybe flight
    • Waterlily24
    • By Waterlily24 14th Sep 17, 11:20 AM
    • 842 Posts
    • 441 Thanks
    Waterlily24
    We viewed and bought an unmortgageable house, wires hanging down everywhere, big holes in the ceilings (some about 6ft x 3ft), floorboards missing, they had knocked two rooms into one and used a tatty old railway sleeper instead of an RSJ. It's still my favourite house of all the ones we've had. It's currently up for sale at the moment.

We had to move because of my husbands job.
    • tho
    • By tho 14th Sep 17, 12:32 PM
    • 172 Posts
    • 391 Thanks
    tho
    Some classics when i was looking to rent near Heathrow.

First house was just over the A30 from the runway, probably 300m at most. we turned up to look, while waiting for the estate agent high fived a couple of pilots as they came in for landing and made our mind up there and then, but thought we'd have a look round anyway. The house didn't even have double glazing and physically shock every 30 seconds. But the strangest thing was the estate agent. She never mentioned it once, even lightheartedly - i was expecting "Its airport adjacent" or "good for holidays!" but no. She stopped talking mid sentence every time and then carried on regardless. Literally "So this is the kitchen, as you'll see it has a gas............................................... .powered hob and oven. Your boiler is located........................................und er the stairs."

House two was advertised as 4 bedrooms. Just inside the door was a cloakroom. Which had previously been a shower, it still had the shower tray, which someone had just put off cuts of carpet over. No other bathroom fittings, just the shower tray, in a understairs cupboard. Upstairs was 3 bedrooms. One was over the stairs and so was intersected by the stairwell at a angle through the (already box sized) room. To prove it was a bedroom a bed had been placed over the stairwell with the legs cut off at lengths to fit. Bedroom 4...was the living room. Tastefully done out in purple deep pile carpeting, the living room had a raised area at the back. It looked like the initial idea was this was where the dining table is supposed to go. Someone had fitted a hospital curtain rail around this raised area and put a bed and bedside table there. But to put into context, a raised plinth with a bed in a tasteful purple room - it looked like the setting for every 70's xxx rated movie. The living room was also the only access to the kitchen, so anyone from upstairs have to walk through the "bedroom" to get to the kitchen. The toilet was outside, but in a wall on the house by the kitchen.

House 3 had three people still in who weren't keen to move. One was still in bed at the time of our visit. The whole house stank of weed. The attic had been converted into a fourth bedroom - but had no stairs, just the old loft access and a ladder. The estate agent opened the loft, climbed up there and found a teenagish girl who appeared to speak no English sat on the bed where the occupiers had just hidden her. The estate agent clearly wasn't expecting this and we were quickly ushered out of the house while he sorted it.

Safe to say we didn't go for any of these!
    • kates08
    • By kates08 14th Sep 17, 3:20 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    kates08
    When we were looking for our current house we viewed a house that was marketed as having an en-suite to the main bedroom. Turned out that there was a built in cupboard that the had put a shower cubicle in. There was no venting and the drainage seemed very bodged!

We saw a house a couple of weeks ago that had a conservatory with no access from the house. You had to go out into the garden and then into the conservatory. This might not sound too odd, but you could see where a door between the house and conservatory had been bricked up, so they had obviously decided that they no longer wanted to access the conservatory from the house.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 14th Sep 17, 3:32 PM
    • 9,637 Posts
    • 7,629 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    He took us outside to look at the back garden and there were a total of 5 wooden sheds. The first contained the usual gardening stuff, but inside the next one was a fully fitted bathroom complete with tiled walls and a carpet. The other 3 contained a carpeted room with a sofa and a wide screen TV, and two were bedrooms complete with beds.

He proudly told us that because all these extra "rooms" were all in sheds, they didn't need planning permission, and he didn't have to pay council tax on them.
    Originally posted by bap98189
    If he'd fitted out the sheds himself and the work was done after 1 April 1993 and in England or Scotland (Wales 1 Apr 2005) he wouldn't have to pay any extra Council Tax anyway. In any case 4 sheds fitted out as living accom aren't going to be worth much.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 14th Sep 17, 3:35 PM
    • 9,523 Posts
    • 12,012 Thanks
    hazyjo
    When we were looking for our current house we viewed a house that was marketed as having an en-suite to the main bedroom. Turned out that there was a built in cupboard that the had put a shower cubicle in. There was no venting and the drainage seemed very bodged!
    Originally posted by kates08
    Oh yep, saw one of those! Literally out the shower/cupboard into the bedroom.

The weird 'speaker house' I mentioned also had a shower cubicle in a bedroom. Have seen it in a cheap b&b before, but not in someone's house. Very odd - not even a manky old square one or a small one, it was a proper posh big corner one in a bedroom (taking up a big chunk of the room).
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies); Avon lippies; cowhide rug; Windsor luxury break, foundation; Flybe flight
    • ProDave
    • By ProDave 14th Sep 17, 4:05 PM
    • 268 Posts
    • 331 Thanks
    ProDave
    We tried to by wonky timber bungalow with subsidence issues. It was an L shape with one bedroom at one end of the L that had subsided. The floor was clearly on a slope. It looked to be historical movement, it had been re roofed with the new roof cut to square off the wonky walls and ceiling.

It was for sale cheap enough that had we bought it, the short term plan would have been to jack up the floor joists to at least make the floor flat, do it up and let it, with a longer term aim of knocking it down and rebuilding.

It would not have been mortgagable as it was but we were cash buyers. Sadly they would not go as low as we wanted and we would not go as high.

It is still there, 16 years on, still just as wonky (but no more so)
    • lord tyrannus
    • By lord tyrannus 14th Sep 17, 4:08 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    lord tyrannus
    Viewed a flat with a view to renting and it wasn't actually too bad. At the end of the viewing the EA then says he's forgot to tell us about the bath.

I become puzzled at this point as it's a two bed flat and there couldn't possibly be a bath in the property. He then opens the hallway double cupboard doors and inside was a bath. Due to the size of the cupboard you couldn't have a bath unless the doors were open. Didn't rent that one

Next house he showed us had absolutely no toilet seats in any of the bathrooms they'd all been removed
    • ProDave
    • By ProDave 14th Sep 17, 4:24 PM
    • 268 Posts
    • 331 Thanks
    ProDave
    Next house he showed us had absolutely no toilet seats in any of the bathrooms they'd all been removed
    Originally posted by lord tyrannus
    We stayed on a campsite in Ireland like that with not a seat to be seen. One learned to "hover"
    • Mossfarr
    • By Mossfarr 14th Sep 17, 4:58 PM
    • 414 Posts
    • 545 Thanks
    Mossfarr
    We viewed one house where all the internal doors were cut at least 6" too short so all had huge gaps at the bottom. The owner said it was because they used to have thicker carpets!

Another house we viewed in the same road was obviously a probate sale. The son of the deceased owner did the viewing and he was very odd. He kept leaping in front of us and waving his hands at what he considered to be important, like......." this is the sink" and "these are the stairs". The highlight was the garden, he spent about half an hour fighting his way through brambles and leaping around the wildly overgrown garden to point out the fruit trees and vegetable plot whilst covered in blood from the scratches. It was hysterical, we couldn't wait to get out before we creased up with laughter.
    • Bonniepurple
    • By Bonniepurple 14th Sep 17, 5:17 PM
    • 89 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    Bonniepurple

The weird 'speaker house' I mentioned also had a shower cubicle in a bedroom. Have seen it in a cheap b&b before, but not in someone's house. Very odd - not even a manky old square one or a small one, it was a proper posh big corner one in a bedroom (taking up a big chunk of the room).
    Originally posted by hazyjo
    We saw a house like that - the previous owner had had dementia and so it was easiest to wash him in the same room. I wouldn't have had a problem with that - it was just the other half of the semi is owned by close friends of my inlaws that we know through church and we felt that was potentially a bit too awkward!
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 14th Sep 17, 5:23 PM
    • 9,523 Posts
    • 12,012 Thanks
    hazyjo
    Did view one with a chin-up bar (I presume) across the doorframe to the lounge. It was at chest height though so, unless the owner was extremely short, I don't really understand its purpose! We did wonder if it was holding the doorframe together and it would collapse when removed!

The house was a bit of a mess - photographed beautifully, looked perfect actually, but on viewing, there were a few little bodge jobs. The curved bay window had skirting board at the bottom, but it was made up of loads of tiny bits of skirting board so it would go round the curve.
    • robatwork
    • By robatwork 14th Sep 17, 8:06 PM
    • 3,907 Posts
    • 4,230 Thanks
    robatwork
    First house was just over the A30 from the runway, probably 300m at most. we turned up to look, while waiting for the estate agent high fived a couple of pilots as they came in for landing and made our mind up there and then, but thought we'd have a look round anyway. The house didn't even have double glazing and physically shock every 30 seconds.
    Originally posted by tho
    I'm sure I learnt a long time ago that every house blighted by the Heathrow flight path got paid-for triple glazing as compo for evening flights. Your potential landlord probably pocketed it...
    • Callie22
    • By Callie22 14th Sep 17, 9:06 PM
    • 2,844 Posts
    • 7,795 Thanks
    Callie22

Originally posted by hazyjo
    Lol, we have a shower cubicle in our bedroom - it's not posh at all, think of a huge, lime green metal 'tardis' complete with power shower and an 'aloha from Hawaii' sticker inside. Oh, and with a drain pipe that runs across the floor and out through the skirting board ...

It's one of the more charming features of our 60s built house and was added by the original owner, presumably because he had four kids and one bathroom just didn't work. Needless to say we have never used it and it WILL be going very shortly.
    • StumpyPumpy
    • By StumpyPumpy 14th Sep 17, 9:49 PM
    • 1,160 Posts
    • 3,126 Thanks
    StumpyPumpy
    I'm sure I learnt a long time ago that every house blighted by the Heathrow flight path got paid-for triple glazing as compo for evening flights. Your potential landlord probably pocketed it...
    Originally posted by robatwork
    The Heathrow Night Noise Insulation Scheme was/is* very limited so that there were not that many properties qualifying for it. Those that did could claim either 50% of the cost of replacement bedroom windows, or free secondary-glazing of them. IIRC you couldn't just ask for the money either, you had to get them from an approved supplier first then claim back. Definitely wasn't a chance of getting the whole house triple glazed for free or being able just to pocket the cash for the same (though I'm sure some people tried to work out a way to do that)

There were a few other schemes that had an even tougher bar to qualify where they'd send around experts to judge whether there was anything they could do and would do it at no cost to the home owner, but again, they didn't give you cash: they handled all the work themselves.

*I say "was/is" because I haven't lived around Heathrow for a while so don't know if the schemes have changed since I last checked them, but I very much doubt they have suddenly become much more generous than before.

SP
    Come on people, it's not difficult: lose means to be unable to find, loose means not being fixed in place. So if you have a hole in your pocket you might lose your loose change.
    • walwyn1978
    • By walwyn1978 14th Sep 17, 9:52 PM
    • 348 Posts
    • 306 Thanks
    walwyn1978
    Two, at various times. We viewed a first floor flat and were sent a complex set of 'how to get there' instructions by the EA which involved approaching from the side along a walkway from the next few flats. We enter the flat through the door onto the back 'balcony' area which linked to the walkway. Soon as we got in you could smell fat and meat cooking. 'What's that smell?' We ask. 'What smell?' Says the EA, hopefully. Turns out the flat is above a fast food kebab place, and the EA hasn't shown the front door on the listing because normal access is through a door next to the kebab shop. The bloke flatly denying any smell was one of those 'did that really happen' moments.

Years later, on our most recent house move, we viewed one 4 bedroom 2 bathroom house described as 'almost finished modernisation, just needs your stamp putting on it'. Limited number of pics on Rightmove but the ones there look very good, we assume maybe a bathroom needs modernising but essentially it was a good possibility. When we get there, two 'bedrooms', one 'bathroom' and the 'utility' are literally just 4 walls a floor and a ceiling. No wiring, no plumbing, exposed floor joists in one room... hence the lack of photos. We rang the EA and blasted them for misrepresentation. They apologised, said they'd speak to the vendor and update the description/photos. It was still on RM 6 weeks later on exactly the same state...
    • Winter Phoenix
    • By Winter Phoenix 14th Sep 17, 11:20 PM
    • 245 Posts
    • 1,319 Thanks
    Winter Phoenix
    We used to have friends who worked for a college and lived on site.

One year the college got contractors in to redecorate all the staff quarters, but our friends were abroad for the summer and so weren't available to choose their preferred colour schemes. They asked if the head of the Art Faculty could choose on their behalf, thinking that he would have a good eye for colour.

They returned home to find their living room freshly wallpapered - in bright lime green with black-and-white ballet dancers every few inches. The other rooms were equally appalling; I seem to recall that one had red-and-white-and-purple fairy cakes all over the walls.

Apparently the Art Faculty guy had gone for an 'edgy' and 'ironic' style...
    e cineribus resurgam
    ("From the ashes I shall arise.")
    • tori.k
    • By tori.k 17th Sep 17, 7:33 AM
    • 2,823 Posts
    • 6,210 Thanks
    tori.k
    We finally found something odd during a due diligence drive by yesterday, went to find a small tucked out of the way cottage with beautiful gardens, it did state there was no parking with the property but we thought to have a drive by to see if access could be created due to the large amount of land. The house is down a lane attached to another bigger house's drive way, have a sneaky suspicion that there is bad blood between the houses due to the electric wire fence the big house has placed along it's front boundaries, the place is ready for the zombie apocalypse I kid not. The bad atmosphere is almost tangible in the air between these properties.
    Debit to Credit (stage 1) 3652.34 completed 15/10/16
    Debit to Credit (stage 2) 6299.09 completed 25/06/17
    Last Castle 150,000/ 25300
    • phoebe1989seb
    • By phoebe1989seb 17th Sep 17, 9:57 AM
    • 3,086 Posts
    • 6,338 Thanks
    phoebe1989seb
    The strangest house we viewed was the one where the first floor bathroom had a very old, high-level toilet.........with no cistern. A length of string beside the toilet disappeared up into the ceiling.

On venturing up into the first of two attic bedrooms - that was directly above said bathroom - we found the missing cistern, sitting on the floor adjacent to the only place a bed would fit (the house was empty), the string attached.

Despite the fact that - amongst other things - the property had no lighting to the ground floor, we put in an offer that was accepted.

Until we got round to replacing the bathroom, any guests sleeping in that attic bedroom had the dubious pleasure of knowing exactly when someone on the floor below had used the facilities, lol, and to make matters worse, had to negotiate their way around the cistern to get into/out of bed

We finally found something odd during a due diligence drive by yesterday, went to find a small tucked out of the way cottage with beautiful gardens, it did state there was no parking with the property but we thought to have a drive by to see if access could be created due to the large amount of land. The house is down a lane attached to another bigger house's drive way, have a sneaky suspicion that there is bad blood between the houses due to the electric wire fence the big house has placed along it's front boundaries, the place is ready for the zombie apocalypse I kid not. The bad atmosphere is almost tangible in the air between these properties.
    Originally posted by tori.k
    We pass a similarly appointed property when we take our dogs out. It also has hand-written signs warning visitors (do they welcome any?) not to let the animals out. Gipsy encampment sprung to mind. The amount of barbed wire and electric fencing used did initially make me think the householders were expecting some kind of invasion and - as the house is hidden by enormous hedging and cannot be seen from the road - I expected a grotty, trailer-type residence to be behind. Imagine my surprise when one day the gates were open and we caught a glimpse of an immaculate, large house with beautifully manicured gardens. Around the corner what looks like acres of greenhouses have fallen into dereliction.

DH later learned the back story - two brothers owned the land (a profitable market garden) but later fell out. They split the land so now one owns the nice house whilst the other is left with the rotting greenhouses. The huge, impenetrable metal gates etc are apparently to keep the other brother out. I guess there's more to it than that though.......
    Paid off mortgage early - mortgage-free since age 40 (2007)

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

738Posts Today

5,949Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin