Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • grimweasel
    • By grimweasel 13th Sep 17, 10:12 AM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    grimweasel
    Park with Ease Vermin
    • 13th Sep 17, 10:12 AM
    Park with Ease Vermin 13th Sep 17 at 10:12 AM
    Hello,

I have read the Newbies thread but wish I had read it earlier.

I parked at a Park with Ease (joke!) site back in June. After going to pay the parking we found the parking machine was out of order and their was a long queue at the other machine; we had a hospital appointment and had to rush off.

A few weeks later received the NtK for parking charges - £30 due, for early payment, failing that within 14days it would rise. I then submitted draft letter from this site to them which they rejected and said I could lodge appeal with IAS (another joke).

After some 3 weeks the IAS responded and rejected my appeal. Usual story. During this appeal time PWE continued to hound me with 'final demand' notices. I complained to them and received nothing back.

I was away on holiday and returned to a letter from ZZPS saying I now had to pay £50 parking charge and £60 costs, as I had ignored previous letters? They said they sent one to me on 18 Aug which I can confirm I did not receive. In the letter they stated if not paid within 7 days they would refer to their solicitors Wright Hassal LLP (this has to be a joke name surely??!) . They also stated that a recent case (Beavis vs Parking Eye) had confirmed legally the enforcement of parking charges issued on private land?!

I complained to PWE and they said no further letters had to be issued from them after the IAS decision and it was my duty to check the appeal and pay within 7 days of the decision. They didn't send me any letter and just referred this to ZZPS. I find their manner and approach utterly disgusting; this is nothing but a scam extracting profits from motorists.

What are my options now? I have told ZZPS to hold their claim whilst I engage with PWE. They have said they have no further action to take as it's been referred to ZZPS.

I have today written to the car park owner (wildlife park in Norwich) asking for the charge to be cancelled on account of machine being out of order and the presumption that everyone has constant internet access enabling online payment.

Thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • Half_way
    • By Half_way 13th Sep 17, 10:14 AM
    • 3,775 Posts
    • 5,340 Thanks
    Half_way
    • 13th Sep 17, 10:14 AM
    • 13th Sep 17, 10:14 AM
    what did you say to the car park owner?
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
    • Guys Dad
    • By Guys Dad 13th Sep 17, 10:37 AM
    • 10,197 Posts
    • 9,330 Thanks
    Guys Dad
    • 13th Sep 17, 10:37 AM
    • 13th Sep 17, 10:37 AM
    received the NtK[/B] for parking charges - £30 due, for early payment, failing that within 14 days it would rise.
    by grimweasel;73118611
    I parked at a Park with Ease (joke!) site back in June.

A few weeks later [B
    If it was more than 14 days after the event, then you could have got off with an "out of time" appeal.

However, looks like you now have to wait to see if they try court and you will need to re-read your appeals to see just how badly you have dented the normal appeal points that we normally recommend.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 13th Sep 17, 10:43 AM
    • 32,810 Posts
    • 16,840 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 13th Sep 17, 10:43 AM
    • 13th Sep 17, 10:43 AM
    Don't contact the debt collector anymore!!

Throughout this forum you are advised against engaging with them in any form, and that you should ignore debt collectors!
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 13th Sep 17, 10:48 AM
    • 14,636 Posts
    • 23,033 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 13th Sep 17, 10:48 AM
    • 13th Sep 17, 10:48 AM
    In the letter they stated if not paid within 7 days they would refer to their solicitors Wright Hassal LLP (this has to be a joke name surely??!) .
    It's no joke. Do a forum (or Google) search on their name. We see them crop up here with boring regularity. They (or the use of their name and letterhead), are just part of the ratcheting up of pressure in the debt recovery process. WH are not involved in any litigation at individual parking charge level.

Read the NEWBIES FAQ sticky, post # 4 for how to deal with the debt collection process.

The key question is how far will PWE take this, given that the charge is £50 and to pursue it through the court would likely cost them at least 4 times that. They've had a few court cases, but we don't know what they were 'worth', but quite possibly multiple ticket cases.

http://www.bmpa.eu/companydata/Park_With_Ease.html

Just come back if you get a LBCCC or real court papers.
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 13th Sep 17, 10:54 AM
    • 5,987 Posts
    • 7,709 Thanks
    beamerguy
    • 13th Sep 17, 10:54 AM
    • 13th Sep 17, 10:54 AM
    grimweasel

A joke indeed but hey .... why are you bothering with ZZPS
    they just want to extort money

As Judge Rinder says, "they are blowing farts in the wind"
    Just treat them as the idiots they are

As Umkomaas said recently about another pay machine
    not working, it is frustration of contract

Wright Hassall would be complete idiots to get involved
    but who knows, the legals who support parking vermin
    blow in the wind themselves

Good Examples of Wright Hassall here
    http://parking-prankster.blogspot.co.uk/search?q=wright+hassall

And as far them quoting the Beavis case, this is nothing to
    do with your case so proves "they are blowing farts in the wind"
    Last edited by beamerguy; 13-09-2017 at 11:09 AM.
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • grimweasel
    • By grimweasel 13th Sep 17, 12:13 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    grimweasel
    • 13th Sep 17, 12:13 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 12:13 PM
    All- thanks so much for taking the time to reply. I only wish I had come across this thread earlier!

I have contacted the Whitlingham Park owners and asked them to contact PWE and desist from their extortion tactics and said I will be writing to my MP to understand how these people still get away with this practice. I told them the ticket machine was out of order and it was presumptuous to assume one could connect to the internet to pay their parking charges.

I have just drafted the letter to ZZPS from this forum concerning 'Letter before Claim' so let's see where this leads.

Any further advice appreciated but I intend to 'fight them on the beaches' for the rent extracting vermin they are!!
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 13th Sep 17, 12:30 PM
    • 14,636 Posts
    • 23,033 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 13th Sep 17, 12:30 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 12:30 PM
    I have just drafted the letter to ZZPS from this forum concerning 'Letter before Claim' so let's see where this leads.
    Not recommended. The only thing it will achieve will not be to your advantage. No matter what you write (and especially if it's a 'rant') it will not stop them, rather, it will confirm to them that they have attracted your interest (fish on a hook) and they will be encouraged to ratchet up the pressure with further letters in the hope of breaking you (reeling you in).

Remember, they have not written a bespoke letter and addressed it to you. You will be one of hundreds of automatic mail merged sheets printed off every week. No one there will know who you are, know your circumstances or remember any details. But pop your head above the parapet and you're going to attract a 'Hello.....?'

This is not to say you won't get more ZZPS letters, but they'll be robo versions, not ones which are possibly having some personal attention.

concerning 'Letter before Claim'
    Where has 'Letter Before Claim' come into this? Have you received one?
    Last edited by Umkomaas; 13-09-2017 at 6:16 PM. Reason: Sorting out a 'you're' from a 'your'. I'll be writing 'should of' next!
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 13th Sep 17, 12:31 PM
    • 32,810 Posts
    • 16,840 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 13th Sep 17, 12:31 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 12:31 PM
    Why are you writing again to the debt collector???

See #4 #5 #6! As well as the newbies faq thread
    • grimweasel
    • By grimweasel 13th Sep 17, 1:57 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    grimweasel
    Quentin - I did read those posts and at the end of #4 it said to send a strong letter and linked to template? So I have done this? Is that wrong?
    • grimweasel
    • By grimweasel 13th Sep 17, 2:00 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    grimweasel
    Umkommas - The letter before claim was mentioned in the linked template in #4 of Newbie thread.

How long can one continue to ignore these letters. Applying for mortgage in next month and under strict instructions from Mrs Weasel not to screw up application because of this! ;-)
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 13th Sep 17, 2:08 PM
    • 5,987 Posts
    • 7,709 Thanks
    beamerguy
    Umkommas - The letter before claim was mentioned in the linked template in #4 of Newbie thread.

How long can one continue to ignore these letters. Applying for mortgage in next month and under strict instructions from Mrs Weasel not to screw up application because of this! ;-)
    Originally posted by grimweasel
    Sounds like you are still at the debt collector rubbish stage.

By the time IF and only IF it gets to court a few months will
    pass and then only if you lost and did not pay would you get
    a CCJ which will go on your credit file.

Until then, their cannot be any notes added to your credit file
    so applying for a mortgage is no problem unless of course
    you have other CCJ's and nothing to do with this matter

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 13th Sep 17, 2:14 PM
    • 14,636 Posts
    • 23,033 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    You can continue to ignore them for as long as they continue to come (usually one a month for 6 months or so). Do not ignore a LBCCC or real court papers. PWE has six years in which to serve a county court claim.

A private parking charge cannot affect any mortgage application. An unsatisfied CCJ can, but that would mean PWE taking you to court (which you would defend), the judge finding against you, a cost order being given by the judge with a deadline for payment and you refusing or failing to pay. Then PWE would need to apply for an order of enforcement.

So tell Mrs Weasel not to imagine that the sky is going to fall down - even though it's billions of years old!

• safarmuk
    • By safarmuk 13th Sep 17, 2:18 PM
    • 483 Posts
    • 895 Thanks
    safarmuk
    This is the path you are treading:

1) Get a PCN
    2) Appeal it using template here -> rejected by the PPC
    3) As this is a IPC member don't appeal to IAS
    4) Receive debt collector letters -> ignore
    5) Receive a real LBC/LBA or MCOL -> take action, defend case

If at the end of #5 the District Judge decides you lose, he will say "you have 14 days to pay", if you pay within those 14 days then that is that and no CCJ can be registered (as you have paid as the court ordered within the timeframe).

If at the end of #5 the District Judge decides you win, the whole matter is settled for good and that is that, you pay nothing and in some cases, if you are lucky you can get awarded a small amount of costs that the PPC have to pay you.

I believe, unless you tell us differently, that you are at stage #4 ... which is why people are telling you to ignore and wait for stage #5 should it ever happen in the 6 years from the time of the event occurring.

So as long as you follow the advice in the Newbies thread, in this thread and keep an eye out for #5 occurring there should not be a problem with you and Mrs Weasel getting your mortgage - I hope you enjoy your new home!

Hope this helps?
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 13th Sep 17, 2:23 PM
    • 32,810 Posts
    • 16,840 Thanks
    Quentin
    Quentin - I did read those posts and at the end of #4 it said to send a strong letter and linked to template? So I have done this? Is that wrong?
    #4 doesn't say that.

Read #4 #5 #6 in this thread

Have you now had a letter before court action?
    Last edited by Quentin; 13-09-2017 at 2:27 PM.
    • grimweasel
    • By grimweasel 13th Sep 17, 3:08 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    grimweasel
    Thanks again all. What a very helpful and useful community against this scourge on or corporate landscape!!

I'm at stage #4 - letter from ZZPS demanding payment or extra £30+VAT will be added on referral to solicitors.

My fight here revolves around their machine being out of order and the expectations to pay on internet, and the facts the signs were not clear etc. I have written to the park and offered to pay the original fee of £3 but nothing more as 5900% increase in costs is plain stupid.

Luckily I took a picture of the A4 paper over the sign saying it was out of order on the day. I would post here but it won't allow unless a link?

Thanks again on mortgage advice piece; it's as I thought. As I'm an FCA registered person I need to be very careful with this sort of thing - as any CCJ etc would mean my licence would be withdrawn!
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 13th Sep 17, 3:13 PM
    • 32,810 Posts
    • 16,840 Thanks
    Quentin
    That letter doesn't sound a letter before court action (discussed in #2 in the newbies faq thread)

It sounds just a debt collectors letter

Give us word for word what it says (without your details obviously)

You only get a CCJ registered against you if you ignore court and get a default ccj or lose in court and don't pay up within a month. Your licence isn't in jeopardy because you are getting debt collectors letters over a fake invoice!
    Last edited by Quentin; 13-09-2017 at 3:18 PM.
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 13th Sep 17, 3:28 PM
    • 5,987 Posts
    • 7,709 Thanks
    beamerguy

I'm at stage #4 - letter from ZZPS demanding payment or extra £30+VAT will be added on referral to solicitors.

Who do ZZPS think they are .... a PayDay shark loan company

Terrible scare tactics and very menacing, very clearly
    ROGUE TRADERS and you should complain to Trading Standards
    FAKE CHARGES

They are idiots, well we know that, a judge would never accept
    this practice and Wright Hassall would risk the wrath of a judge
    if they tried this rubbish

So ZZPS have entered the seedy world of back street loan sharks
    Last edited by beamerguy; 13-09-2017 at 3:42 PM.

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 13th Sep 17, 6:30 PM
    • 14,636 Posts
    • 23,033 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    Thanks again on mortgage advice piece; it's as I thought. As I'm an FCA registered person I need to be very careful with this sort of thing - as any CCJ etc would mean my licence would be withdrawn!
    Just a caveat to what I said before - if you are changing address in the near future (or next 6 years for that matter) given that you're applying soon for a mortgage, you are a bit more exposed to a potential default judgment against you if the PPC issues court papers to your former address.

They will only use the address they are currently corresponding with, unless you keep them informed of any change. While you have to inform the DVLA of the change (two separate notifications, one for your driver's licence and one for your V5 logbook), the DVLA does not update the PPC, nor can the PPC go back to them to check.

So given that your employment position could be affected by you not receiving the papers, you need to take extra care in putting wheels in motion to ensure you do not miss any mail while this parking charge is still hanging over you.

So, as a minimum, written notification to the PPC and any debt collector involved - via first class mail with a free certificate of posting from the post office counter clerk (not signed for/recorded, as many PPCs refuse to accept such). Plus the setting up of a Royal Mail re-direct for as long as possible.

HTH

• Half_way
    • By Half_way 26th Sep 17, 2:34 PM
    • 3,775 Posts
    • 5,340 Thanks
    Half_way
    what did you say when you contacted the landowner?
    you need to say the height things to make them aware, and to get it cancelled.post it I here first, before saying or sending anything off.
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,360Posts Today

8,075Users online

Martin's Twitter