Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Murielson
    • By Murielson 13th Sep 17, 9:50 AM
    • 181Posts
    • 77Thanks
    Murielson
    Recommendations Please
    • 13th Sep 17, 9:50 AM
    Recommendations Please 13th Sep 17 at 9:50 AM
    Looking for any recommendations from those in the know for us older folk. My good lady and myself, 50+, 2 x phones now well out of contract and ready for renewal/change and after best we can get.

With Vodafone and on 600 minutes, unlimited texts and 500MB data monthly for £30.50 per month per phone.

Samsung Android (currently 2 year plus old S5 minis mobiles) and could do with new handsets, not interested in moving to iphone and Samsung preferred as I couldn't go through teaching my wife how to use a different phone system!! Also have daughters iphone on my account (£40 per month, Red Plan comes with unlimited minutes, unlimited texts and 10GB data).

Never use all monthly contract minutes, never use a lot of texts but recently started different job and using more data and therefore want to hike this up to at least 1GB or beyond.

Long time with Vodafone but also long time with Tesco so is Tesco mobile comparable with Vodafone coverage nowadays? Thinking Tesco points if worthwhile.

Interested in what others might be getting that might be good for us. Thanks in advance to anyone who is kind enough to offer any advice.
Page 1
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 13th Sep 17, 9:59 AM
    • 2,909 Posts
    • 1,277 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 13th Sep 17, 9:59 AM
    • 13th Sep 17, 9:59 AM
    With Vodafone and on 600 minutes, unlimited texts and 500MB data monthly for £30.50 per month per phone.
    Originally posted by Murielson
    You should be able to reduce this to about £5 for similar allowance or better, choose a suitable SIM-only plan according to MSE article and advice here, call Vodafone for your PAC and they may offer you a similar deal for retention of your custom. Use the same handsets or buy your choice of new ones for the best deal you find independently.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 13th Sep 17, 10:03 AM
    • 1,269 Posts
    • 555 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 13th Sep 17, 10:03 AM
    • 13th Sep 17, 10:03 AM
    The links at the top of the thread would be your best place to start.
    • boatman
    • By boatman 13th Sep 17, 1:12 PM
    • 3,465 Posts
    • 2,456 Thanks
    boatman
    • 13th Sep 17, 1:12 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 1:12 PM
    Go sim only first, then worry about changing phone.
    https://checker.ofcom.org.uk/mobile-coverage
    • ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 13th Sep 17, 2:07 PM
    • 3,429 Posts
    • 1,761 Thanks
    ballyblack
    • 13th Sep 17, 2:07 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 2:07 PM
    Long time with Vodafone but also long time with Tesco
    Depends where you live. Tesco (uses o2 network) and find their customer service much better than Voda which was a disaster for me
    • Murielson
    • By Murielson 13th Sep 17, 2:43 PM
    • 181 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    Murielson
    • 13th Sep 17, 2:43 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 2:43 PM
    Some good stuff already and many thanks to all above for taking the time to respond. Have wandered around the forums and articles and appears to be a bit of a minefield if not careful and just surprised I haven't investigated this previously due to my natural frugal nature!!

Happy with Vodafone coverage and no experience of anything else to be honest. All family on Vodafone (I think), certainly the 3 phones on my contract anyway. Live in Andover Hampshire so may explore coverage in a bit more detail.

Also need occasional foreign usage and not certain if this plays a part when looking at best options. Is it worth asking in somewhere like Carphone Warehouse or are they tied to particular suppliers (although they seem to cover all suppliers)? How independent are they?
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 13th Sep 17, 2:50 PM
    • 1,269 Posts
    • 555 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 13th Sep 17, 2:50 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 2:50 PM
    If Vodafone coverage is good for you I'd stick with as you know what you're geting. http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/piggybacking#tablepiggyback lists all of the companies who piggyback on Vodafone which should be usable in your current handsets without worrying about being sim locked.

CPW are independant but you will come under serious sales pressure to buy there and then so be prepared.
    • boatman
    • By boatman 13th Sep 17, 3:15 PM
    • 3,465 Posts
    • 2,456 Thanks
    boatman
    • 13th Sep 17, 3:15 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 3:15 PM

CPW are independant but you will come under serious sales pressure to buy there and then so be prepared.
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    Buy online, not in store, you can then take it back, CPW are somewhat awkward when it comes to returns in store.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 13th Sep 17, 5:10 PM
    • 7,619 Posts
    • 5,485 Thanks
    pmduk
    • 13th Sep 17, 5:10 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 5:10 PM
    If you cross the threshold into any phone store, go with a pad and pen, NO bank details or cards, and a determination not to buy then and there.
    • Murielson
    • By Murielson 20th Sep 17, 9:39 AM
    • 181 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    Murielson
    Thanks again all, much appreciated and now looking into what is best for us but certainly thinking probably sim only and stick with phones that we have for now.
    • Neil49
    • By Neil49 20th Sep 17, 6:50 PM
    • 1,209 Posts
    • 593 Thanks
    Neil49
    Plusnet also have good deals on from time to time and these quickly appear on the MSE site.

Latest offering is 2.5 gb data, 1500 mins and unlimited texts for £7 but I don't know how long this will last for. This is for a 30 day rolling contract so you can get out and move on without penalty should you wish.

It also includes overseas use (Roam Like at Home) but you should check the terms and conditions to see what it covers.

https://www.plus.net/mobile/plans/sim-only/

They use the EE network which is pretty good for coverage.
    • Murielson
    • By Murielson 20th Sep 17, 7:07 PM
    • 181 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    Murielson
    Thanks Neil, strangely enough I have just been on uSwitch before coming back here and they have (uSwitch exclusive) SIM only deal with Plusnet as recommended deal (limited time offer) and this gives the following for £10 per month:

Unlimited minutes and texts
    5 GB data
    Roaming in 52 countries appears to be included

Was just coming back to ask peoples views on both Plusnet and EE if anyone would care to share? Also curious if this is just a one month rolling deal?

Deal link below:

https://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/sim_only_deal/340d8f412814e8981f15069f5131048b11d0837e/
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 22nd Sep 17, 12:03 AM
    • 30,268 Posts
    • 19,148 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Well plusnet use the EE since they are of the same compnay/group.

Samsung phones run on Android or maybe an altered version once Samsung have changed it and its pretty the same as Huawei, HTC etc as they run on Android.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • Susan1942
    • By Susan1942 22nd Sep 17, 10:26 AM
    • 1,017 Posts
    • 179 Thanks
    Susan1942
    Talking about sim only I was advised to buy phone outright and do sim only I have always been with o2
    My date for change without penalty is 23/9 tomorrow
    I spoke to o2 and the shop said that if I asked for PAC they would probably offer me a better deal To have 500mb 500 mins and unlimited texts their price was £13 50 but I can have this amount for £6;to retain my business
    So it would be worth asking Vodaphone You would need to speak to retention
    I was able to chose this as an.option when I rang the O2 no
    Currently I have 300mb 300 mins and unlimited texts This has been more than enough for me currently
    Sue
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 22nd Sep 17, 10:40 AM
    • 7,619 Posts
    • 5,485 Thanks
    pmduk
    Asking for the PAC always concentrates their minds on retaining you, however it depends how profitable the company sees your business as to how hard they fight to retain your custom. Many people seem to be reporting poor Vf retention offers currently, though it's difficolt to see if that's across the board.
    • jopov
    • By jopov 22nd Sep 17, 1:32 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    jopov
    Cheapest contract and best phone for money
    I was out of contract and fancied a high end phone so ordered a Galaxy Note 8 direct from Samsung. It came a week ago and is dreadful and faulty. It's going back BUT Samsung techies told me that a very much cheaper option is the newer J5 (2017 model NOT the 2016) which is still a high end phone. Bought one unlocked from carphone warehouse for £239 (only £200 if bought with a known brand contract). It's a better phone than my son's Galaxy S6 and is up to date with fingerprint scanning etc. I saved over £600 by taking the Samsung staff advice. I then bought a £9 a month contract sim which gives me 4g of data, unlimited texts and 600 mins of talk time.
    • mgfvvc
    • By mgfvvc 22nd Sep 17, 2:29 PM
    • 224 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    mgfvvc
    Was just coming back to ask peoples views on both Plusnet and EE if anyone would care to share? Also curious if this is just a one month rolling deal?
    Originally posted by Murielson
    Plusnet don't support short codes (4 to 6 digit numbers), so don't go PlusNet if that matters to you.

EE have a poor reputation for customer service.
    • I Love comps
    • By I Love comps 22nd Sep 17, 2:47 PM
    • 835 Posts
    • 2,539 Thanks
    I Love comps
    Myself and my husband both have Tesco Mobile phones and have been with them for nearly 6 years now. Tesco have a wide range of different phones and prices - so they are worth a look.
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping Boards. "I am a volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly.
    Any views are my own and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board Guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • NineDeuce
    • By NineDeuce 22nd Sep 17, 3:03 PM
    • 421 Posts
    • 371 Thanks
    NineDeuce
    If you go with Tesco, line rental is cheaper and if you have add a second phone then they will give you an increase in either minutes, texts or MB on the first phone.

Unused minutes/MBs are surely where the phone companies make their money, and how many people just their phone for the sake of it anyway?
    • Murielson
    • By Murielson 22nd Sep 17, 4:11 PM
    • 181 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    Murielson
    I was out of contract and fancied a high end phone so ordered a Galaxy Note 8 direct from Samsung. It came a week ago and is dreadful and faulty. It's going back BUT Samsung techies told me that a very much cheaper option is the newer J5 (2017 model NOT the 2016) which is still a high end phone. Bought one unlocked from carphone warehouse for £239 (only £200 if bought with a known brand contract). It's a better phone than my son's Galaxy S6 and is up to date with fingerprint scanning etc. I saved over £600 by taking the Samsung staff advice. I then bought a £9 a month contract sim which gives me 4g of data, unlimited texts and 600 mins of talk time.
    Originally posted by jopov
    Interesting as the J5 2017 is what I was offered on current contract at £30.50 per month for 24 months. It's what really set me off looking at what is out there and certainly now looking at SIM only for no more than £10 per year which gives me at least £240 for a handset (based on my current contract) for a handset if needed. Or £480 across full duration of contract!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,124Posts Today

4,823Users online

Martin's Twitter