Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Murielson
    • By Murielson 13th Sep 17, 9:50 AM
    • 177Posts
    • 76Thanks
    Murielson
    Recommendations Please
    • 13th Sep 17, 9:50 AM
    Recommendations Please 13th Sep 17 at 9:50 AM
    Looking for any recommendations from those in the know for us older folk. My good lady and myself, 50+, 2 x phones now well out of contract and ready for renewal/change and after best we can get.

With Vodafone and on 600 minutes, unlimited texts and 500MB data monthly for £30.50 per month per phone.

Samsung Android (currently 2 year plus old S5 minis mobiles) and could do with new handsets, not interested in moving to iphone and Samsung preferred as I couldn't go through teaching my wife how to use a different phone system!! Also have daughters iphone on my account (£40 per month, Red Plan comes with unlimited minutes, unlimited texts and 10GB data).

Never use all monthly contract minutes, never use a lot of texts but recently started different job and using more data and therefore want to hike this up to at least 1GB or beyond.

Long time with Vodafone but also long time with Tesco so is Tesco mobile comparable with Vodafone coverage nowadays? Thinking Tesco points if worthwhile.

Interested in what others might be getting that might be good for us. Thanks in advance to anyone who is kind enough to offer any advice.
Page 1
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 13th Sep 17, 9:59 AM
    • 2,782 Posts
    • 1,210 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 13th Sep 17, 9:59 AM
    • 13th Sep 17, 9:59 AM
    With Vodafone and on 600 minutes, unlimited texts and 500MB data monthly for £30.50 per month per phone.
    Originally posted by Murielson
    You should be able to reduce this to about £5 for similar allowance or better, choose a suitable SIM-only plan according to MSE article and advice here, call Vodafone for your PAC and they may offer you a similar deal for retention of your custom. Use the same handsets or buy your choice of new ones for the best deal you find independently.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 13th Sep 17, 10:03 AM
    • 1,059 Posts
    • 472 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 13th Sep 17, 10:03 AM
    • 13th Sep 17, 10:03 AM
    The links at the top of the thread would be your best place to start.
    • boatman
    • By boatman 13th Sep 17, 1:12 PM
    • 3,367 Posts
    • 2,354 Thanks
    boatman
    • 13th Sep 17, 1:12 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 1:12 PM
    Go sim only first, then worry about changing phone.
    https://checker.ofcom.org.uk/mobile-coverage
    • ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 13th Sep 17, 2:07 PM
    • 3,362 Posts
    • 1,720 Thanks
    ballyblack
    • 13th Sep 17, 2:07 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 2:07 PM
    Long time with Vodafone but also long time with Tesco
    Depends where you live. Tesco (uses o2 network) and find their customer service much better than Voda which was a disaster for me
    • Murielson
    • By Murielson 13th Sep 17, 2:43 PM
    • 177 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    Murielson
    • 13th Sep 17, 2:43 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 2:43 PM
    Some good stuff already and many thanks to all above for taking the time to respond. Have wandered around the forums and articles and appears to be a bit of a minefield if not careful and just surprised I haven't investigated this previously due to my natural frugal nature!!

Happy with Vodafone coverage and no experience of anything else to be honest. All family on Vodafone (I think), certainly the 3 phones on my contract anyway. Live in Andover Hampshire so may explore coverage in a bit more detail.

Also need occasional foreign usage and not certain if this plays a part when looking at best options. Is it worth asking in somewhere like Carphone Warehouse or are they tied to particular suppliers (although they seem to cover all suppliers)? How independent are they?
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 13th Sep 17, 2:50 PM
    • 1,059 Posts
    • 472 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 13th Sep 17, 2:50 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 2:50 PM
    If Vodafone coverage is good for you I'd stick with as you know what you're geting. http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/piggybacking#tablepiggyback lists all of the companies who piggyback on Vodafone which should be usable in your current handsets without worrying about being sim locked.

CPW are independant but you will come under serious sales pressure to buy there and then so be prepared.
    • boatman
    • By boatman 13th Sep 17, 3:15 PM
    • 3,367 Posts
    • 2,354 Thanks
    boatman
    • 13th Sep 17, 3:15 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 3:15 PM

CPW are independant but you will come under serious sales pressure to buy there and then so be prepared.
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    Buy online, not in store, you can then take it back, CPW are somewhat awkward when it comes to returns in store.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 13th Sep 17, 5:10 PM
    • 7,466 Posts
    • 5,382 Thanks
    pmduk
    • 13th Sep 17, 5:10 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 5:10 PM
    If you cross the threshold into any phone store, go with a pad and pen, NO bank details or cards, and a determination not to buy then and there.
    • Murielson
    • By Murielson 20th Sep 17, 9:39 AM
    • 177 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    Murielson
    Thanks again all, much appreciated and now looking into what is best for us but certainly thinking probably sim only and stick with phones that we have for now.
    • Neil49
    • By Neil49 20th Sep 17, 6:50 PM
    • 1,200 Posts
    • 589 Thanks
    Neil49
    Plusnet also have good deals on from time to time and these quickly appear on the MSE site.

Latest offering is 2.5 gb data, 1500 mins and unlimited texts for £7 but I don't know how long this will last for. This is for a 30 day rolling contract so you can get out and move on without penalty should you wish.

It also includes overseas use (Roam Like at Home) but you should check the terms and conditions to see what it covers.

https://www.plus.net/mobile/plans/sim-only/

They use the EE network which is pretty good for coverage.
    • Murielson
    • By Murielson 20th Sep 17, 7:07 PM
    • 177 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    Murielson
    Thanks Neil, strangely enough I have just been on uSwitch before coming back here and they have (uSwitch exclusive) SIM only deal with Plusnet as recommended deal (limited time offer) and this gives the following for £10 per month:

Unlimited minutes and texts
    5 GB data
    Roaming in 52 countries appears to be included

Was just coming back to ask peoples views on both Plusnet and EE if anyone would care to share? Also curious if this is just a one month rolling deal?

Deal link below:

https://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/sim_only_deal/340d8f412814e8981f15069f5131048b11d0837e/
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,786Posts Today

8,027Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin