Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • denwyn
    • By denwyn 13th Sep 17, 9:32 AM
    • 163Posts
    • 5Thanks
    denwyn
    Switch yes or no
    • 13th Sep 17, 9:32 AM
    Switch yes or no 13th Sep 17 at 9:32 AM
    Our Brit Gas / electric Martin Lewis deal ends on 03.10. We are in process of selling our house and moving, provisional date for this is mid to end of October. I'm unsure if we should switch now as it normally takes around 3 weeks to complete switch. As we would then have to switch again on move,not sure how new supplier would react if we gave notice after just signing up with them. Or should we just stayeith British Gas till we move.
Page 1
    • The Big Bamboo
    • By The Big Bamboo 13th Sep 17, 9:59 AM
    • 35 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    The Big Bamboo
    • 13th Sep 17, 9:59 AM
    • 13th Sep 17, 9:59 AM
    You’ll be switched, by default, to B.Gas’ exorbitant ‘Standard Tariff’ when your current deal ends on Oct.3rd.

If it’s only for a few weeks then maybe easier to leave it running until you actually move.
    There’s a lot of other things to think about when moving house isn’t there.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 13th Sep 17, 10:07 AM
    • 4,203 Posts
    • 2,450 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 13th Sep 17, 10:07 AM
    • 13th Sep 17, 10:07 AM
    Our Brit Gas / electric Martin Lewis deal ends on 03.10. We are in process of selling our house and moving, provisional date for this is mid to end of October. I'm unsure if we should switch now as it normally takes around 3 weeks to complete switch. As we would then have to switch again on move,not sure how new supplier would react if we gave notice after just signing up with them. Or should we just stayeith British Gas till we move.
    Originally posted by denwyn
    You cannot take your tariff with you when you move house. Suppliers have 5 weeks from the date of application to take over your supply. In real terms what will 3 weeks on a SVT minus 3 weeks on a new fixed tariff cost you? My guess is 'not a lot'.

When you move in to your new home, you will be on a Deemed Traiff with the existing supplier to the property. Call them with meter readings and your details, you are then free to initiate a switch to a new supplier.

I hope that your move goes well.
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 13th Sep 17, 12:16 PM
    • 2,329 Posts
    • 619 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 13th Sep 17, 12:16 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 12:16 PM
    Do BG do a fixed tariff with no exit fee ? If yes, that's got to be the answer. As you should be moved onto it within 24 hours.

Moves drag on, and you could end up being on expensive tariff in winter!

plus you will be on a standard tariff in your new place for a few weeks, so 2 opportunities to loose money.
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 15th Sep 17, 8:54 AM
    • 3,550 Posts
    • 1,416 Thanks
    footyguy
    • 15th Sep 17, 8:54 AM
    • 15th Sep 17, 8:54 AM
    Originally posted by denwyn
    So much duff info now being posted on this site (especially as it was once a good source of correct info) it's getting scary.

My advice is to read the terms of any contract very carefully.

However, generally most terms allow for the following:

1. There is no exit fee applicable when a contract is ended due to a house move

2. As long as the switch is initiated before the end of any contract (and the old supplier advised by the newly selected supplier) and the switch occurs within a reasonable period, even if past the contract end date, then you can remain on the original prices as per the contract.

So, if you want to save money, consult a comparison site and find the best deal(s) for you ... but double check the terms and conditions before you agree to go ahead.

The new supplier won't care that you later give advice you are moving home, as they will be the supplier to the new occupants unless and until the new occupants have registered and then sought to switch supplier. If, as is usualy, the new occupants do not register for any alternative tariff, the supplier will serve them with their default tariff ... which is usually the most expensive one they offer.

At the new address, you must first sign up with the existing suppliers(s) to that property.
    If you plan to switch supplier shortly thereafter, then ensure whichever tariff you select has no early exit fees
    If you do not select any tariff, you will be put on the suppliers default tariff which will not have any early exit fees (but is often the most expensive tariff)

Switching takes a minimum of 17 days, but can take up to about 5 weeks.

Edit: as I explained to you in a thread you posted about a week ago here
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5706153

Good luck!
    Last edited by footyguy; 15-09-2017 at 8:59 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,653Posts Today

6,277Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• It's the subtle poetry and lyricism of tweets like this that I find so endearing https://t.co/XhSKBCGyXe

• Follow Martin