Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Iulia
    • By Iulia 13th Sep 17, 9:18 AM
    • 13Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Iulia
    remortgage timeframe
    • #1
    • 13th Sep 17, 9:18 AM
    remortgage timeframe 13th Sep 17 at 9:18 AM
    Hello. If my fix rate mortgage deal ends on the 31st of July and I remortgage to a new lender, when does the new mortgage, with the new lender, start? 31 July or 1 August? And how soon do I have to start the remortgage process so that I don't end up going on variable rate with my current bank? Thank you.
Page 1
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 13th Sep 17, 10:00 AM
    • 31,934 Posts
    • 17,069 Thanks
    kingstreet
    • #2
    • 13th Sep 17, 10:00 AM
    • #2
    • 13th Sep 17, 10:00 AM
    You would ask the solicitor for completion on 1 August.

    Start the process three months before and submit an application no later than two months before, ensuring you make the acting solicitor aware of your preferred completion date.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
    • Iulia
    • By Iulia 13th Sep 17, 1:54 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Iulia
    • #3
    • 13th Sep 17, 1:54 PM
    • #3
    • 13th Sep 17, 1:54 PM
    Thank you.

    Is that timeframe also valid if I decide not to remortgage, but instead get a new fix deal with the current lender? The mortgage is with Halifax and they waive ERC if less than 3 months remaining.
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 13th Sep 17, 4:24 PM
    • 31,934 Posts
    • 17,069 Thanks
    kingstreet
    • #4
    • 13th Sep 17, 4:24 PM
    • #4
    • 13th Sep 17, 4:24 PM
    No.

    There is no benefit in waiting to do a product transfer if your current rate is higher than the new one. As soon as they will accept your instructions, proceed.

    If you want to see out your current rate, you have to call in the last month for the new rate to start on the 1st of the following month.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

738Posts Today

5,949Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

  • Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

  • Follow Martin