Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • adonis10
    • By adonis10 13th Sep 17, 9:08 AM
    • 1,418Posts
    • 157Thanks
    adonis10
    iPhone 6 v 6 plus v 7
    • 13th Sep 17, 9:08 AM
    iPhone 6 v 6 plus v 7 13th Sep 17 at 9:08 AM
    I am considering an upgrade in the coming months and looking to get some advice. From my research, the 7 looks rather similar to the 6 in many ways and I can't see good enough reason to be locked down to it for 2 years. Obvious bugbare is the pathetic battery life, so am considering the 6 plus as I have read that this offers a much better battery life (presumably owing to its size).

Any thoughts appreciated.
    Last edited by adonis10; 13-09-2017 at 10:26 AM.
Page 1
    • TadleyBaggie
    • By TadleyBaggie 13th Sep 17, 9:25 AM
    • 2,373 Posts
    • 1,711 Thanks
    TadleyBaggie
    • 13th Sep 17, 9:25 AM
    • 13th Sep 17, 9:25 AM
    so am considering the 6s as I have read that this offers a much better battery life (presumably owing to its size)
    Originally posted by adonis10
    Not sure why you have this impression, the 6, 6S and 7 are all virtually identical in size. Are you confusing the 'S' suffix with the 'Plus' suffix?

The 6S is a better phone than the 6 (better specs, 3D touch etc). The 7 has better specs than the 6S but lacks a headphone socket, which may or may not be important to you.
    • Anonimo
    • By Anonimo 13th Sep 17, 9:30 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Anonimo
    • 13th Sep 17, 9:30 AM
    • 13th Sep 17, 9:30 AM
    GSMArena rate the 7 and 6s battery life to be almost identical,
    I have the 6s and whilst I rate the phone highly in many ways it's battery life isn't one of them. Most days I need to put it on the charger early evening and I know other users who have to do the same. If stellar battery performance is top of your list the 6s will probably disappoint, you could always use a battery case though!
    • warehouse
    • By warehouse 13th Sep 17, 9:35 AM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 5,548 Thanks
    warehouse
    • 13th Sep 17, 9:35 AM
    • 13th Sep 17, 9:35 AM
    Let me give you a real life scenario. In the last 3 weeks both my wife and eldest daughter have dropped their iphone 6's down the toilet, (don't ask how ).

Now guess what the iphone 7 has that the iphone 6 hasn't?
    Pants
    • adonis10
    • By adonis10 13th Sep 17, 10:25 AM
    • 1,418 Posts
    • 157 Thanks
    adonis10
    • 13th Sep 17, 10:25 AM
    • 13th Sep 17, 10:25 AM
    Not sure why you have this impression, the 6, 6S and 7 are all virtually identical in size. Are you confusing the 'S' suffix with the 'Plus' suffix?

The 6S is a better phone than the 6 (better specs, 3D touch etc). The 7 has better specs than the 6S but lacks a headphone socket, which may or may not be important to you.
    Originally posted by TadleyBaggie
    That's exactly what I've done, good spot! Thread title updated.
    • d123
    • By d123 13th Sep 17, 10:51 AM
    • 6,575 Posts
    • 4,216 Thanks
    d123
    • 13th Sep 17, 10:51 AM
    • 13th Sep 17, 10:51 AM
    I am considering an upgrade in the coming months and looking to get some advice. From my research, the 7 looks rather similar to the 6 in many ways and I can't see good enough reason to be locked down to it for 2 years. Obvious bugbare is the pathetic battery life, so am considering the 6 plus as I have read that this offers a much better battery life (presumably owing to its size).

Any thoughts appreciated.
    If you want a reasonably future proof phone the earliest you should consider is the 6s.

The older 1GB ram phones are likely to lose support long before the 2GB ram models.
    ====
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 13th Sep 17, 10:54 AM
    • 8,547 Posts
    • 13,025 Thanks
    worried jim
    • 13th Sep 17, 10:54 AM
    • 13th Sep 17, 10:54 AM
    Let me give you a real life scenario. In the last 3 weeks both my wife and eldest daughter have dropped their iphone 6's down the toilet, (don't ask how ).

Now guess what the iphone 7 has that the iphone 6 hasn't?
    Originally posted by warehouse
    A clean screen and no sh1te all over it?
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • d123
    • By d123 13th Sep 17, 10:56 AM
    • 6,575 Posts
    • 4,216 Thanks
    d123
    • 13th Sep 17, 10:56 AM
    • 13th Sep 17, 10:56 AM
    A clean screen and no sh1te all over it?
    Originally posted by worried jim

Water resistance...
    ====
    • TadleyBaggie
    • By TadleyBaggie 13th Sep 17, 11:01 AM
    • 2,373 Posts
    • 1,711 Thanks
    TadleyBaggie
    • 13th Sep 17, 11:01 AM
    • 13th Sep 17, 11:01 AM
    I wouldn't consider the 6 or 6 Plus, 6S is the oldest device I would consider (I do own a 6S Plus). Even with the iPhone 8 and X announcement yesterday, the 6S will still (for now) be sold by Apple.
    • adonis10
    • By adonis10 13th Sep 17, 11:23 AM
    • 1,418 Posts
    • 157 Thanks
    adonis10
    I wouldn't consider the 6 or 6 Plus, 6S is the oldest device I would consider (I do own a 6S Plus). Even with the iPhone 8 and X announcement yesterday, the 6S will still (for now) be sold by Apple.
    Originally posted by TadleyBaggie
    Yes, given the above advice re RAM and battery, I would not go below the 6s or 6s plus. I find the 6 to be an excellent phone so would be happy to upgrade to the s or s plus version, however I am concerned about committing to 24 months for a phone that may lose support in the near future. I just wonder if the 7/7plus is different enough to justify the additional cost/month.
    • d123
    • By d123 13th Sep 17, 1:35 PM
    • 6,575 Posts
    • 4,216 Thanks
    d123
    Yes, given the above advice re RAM and battery, I would not go below the 6s or 6s plus. I find the 6 to be an excellent phone so would be happy to upgrade to the s or s plus version, however I am concerned about committing to 24 months for a phone that may lose support in the near future. I just wonder if the 7/7plus is different enough to justify the additional cost/month.
    I have a 7 Plus and won’t be upgrading, other than the “portrait light” mode there isn’t a huge difference between the 7 Plus and 8 Plus.

It was the first iPhone to get 3GB of ram and prior to the 8 Plus launching had been shown to be the most powerful chip in a current phone tested.

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/science-technology/795333/Samsung-Galaxy-S8-v-iPhone-7-Plus-speed-test-processor-which-best

http://indianexpress.com/article/technology/iphone-7/apple-iphone-7-plus-3gb-ram-a10-fusion-3023732/
    ====
    • adonis10
    • By adonis10 13th Sep 17, 2:00 PM
    • 1,418 Posts
    • 157 Thanks
    adonis10
    I've just looked at costs and concluded that I won't be upgrading until my iphone 6 physically no longer works. Currently on sim only £23.40/month with 16gb data and free spotify v cheapest iphone 6 plus on Vodafone of £58/month with 4gb data. No thank you.

What do others pay? Where did you get a decent deal?
    • d123
    • By d123 13th Sep 17, 2:04 PM
    • 6,575 Posts
    • 4,216 Thanks
    d123
    I've just looked at costs and concluded that I won't be upgrading until my iphone 6 physically no longer works. Currently on sim only £23.40/month with 16gb data and free spotify v cheapest iphone 6 plus on Vodafone of £58/month with 4gb data. No thank you.

What do others pay? Where did you get a decent deal?
    I bought my iPhone 7+ outright using a 0% card, I was also lucky enough to get a discount on the price when I bought it.

I still have my old 6 that’s become my spare phone that I try the beta firmware on, I put a new battery in it (£10 from Amazon) and it still works very much like it did new.
    ====
    • adonis10
    • By adonis10 13th Sep 17, 2:20 PM
    • 1,418 Posts
    • 157 Thanks
    adonis10
    I bought my iPhone 7+ outright using a 0% card, I was also lucky enough to get a discount on the price when I bought it..
    Originally posted by d123

That's a good idea as means you can keep your (presumably) low contract. How much did it cost you?

I still have my old 6 that’s become my spare phone that I try the beta firmware on, I put a new battery in it (£10 from Amazon) and it still works very much like it did new.
    Originally posted by d123
    Again, good plan. Did you replace the battery yourself? Tempted to get a new battery but get someone to install it.
    • Mabr
    • By Mabr 13th Sep 17, 2:32 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Mabr
    My iphone 6 is now out of contract and also fell down the toilet a few weeks ago! It's working fine now but for a few days I faced buying a new phone and the costs involved were an eye opener. I've moved to SIM only with ID Mobile - £10 per month, 5gb of data (which roll over if unused so this month I'm starting with 8.6gb of data). I will use this phone until it dies and then look again at that point.
    • Sambella
    • By Sambella 13th Sep 17, 2:37 PM
    • 334 Posts
    • 311 Thanks
    Sambella
    The 6s and 7 iPhone models are faster than the 6.

The 6 model also doesn’t have force touch.
    • adonis10
    • By adonis10 13th Sep 17, 2:52 PM
    • 1,418 Posts
    • 157 Thanks
    adonis10
    The 6s and 7 iPhone models are faster than the 6.

The 6 model also doesn’t have force touch.
    Originally posted by Sambella
    I'd expect them to be as they are newer and more expensive.

I think the 6 is a great phone, so much better than the 5 and I doubt the difference between it and the 7 is as great.

What is force touch?
    • adonis10
    • By adonis10 13th Sep 17, 2:54 PM
    • 1,418 Posts
    • 157 Thanks
    adonis10
    My iphone 6 is now out of contract and also fell down the toilet a few weeks ago! It's working fine now but for a few days I faced buying a new phone and the costs involved were an eye opener. I've moved to SIM only with ID Mobile - £10 per month, 5gb of data (which roll over if unused so this month I'm starting with 8.6gb of data). I will use this phone until it dies and then look again at that point.
    Originally posted by Mabr
    I also find the 6 to be very resilient. Admittedly it is the first phone I've had with a case but have dropped it 3 or 4 times without the case and not a hint of a cracked screen, compared to my previous 2 (3gs and 5) which cracked as soon as they hit the floor.
    • d123
    • By d123 13th Sep 17, 3:02 PM
    • 6,575 Posts
    • 4,216 Thanks
    d123
    That's a good idea as means you can keep your (presumably) low contract. How much did it cost you?
    I was lucky, I only paid £499 for a 128GB 7+.

Again, good plan. Did you replace the battery yourself? Tempted to get a new battery but get someone to install it.
    I did it myself, but I have previous experience with phone repairs. Having said that it was remarkably simple to do.

The battery was “PowerBear” brand, and is still reporting full capacity around 5 months after it was fitted, so I’m happy with the quality of the cells.
    ====
    • adonis10
    • By adonis10 18th Sep 17, 7:56 PM
    • 1,418 Posts
    • 157 Thanks
    adonis10
    Really surprising how expensive contracts are on the Vodafone website compared to carphone warehouse etc. Although the VEA 15% helps.

Also, there is no difference in price between the 7 and 8 which is frustrating.

Where do you all get your contracts from?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,297Posts Today

8,467Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin