Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 13th Sep 17, 6:17 AM
    • 2,814Posts
    • 37,927Thanks
    nmlc
    O/S Daily Wednesday 13 September 2017
    • 13th Sep 17, 6:17 AM
    O/S Daily Wednesday 13 September 2017 13th Sep 17 at 6:17 AM
    O/S Daily Wednesday 13th September 2017

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that need/want one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

DH up and gone to work stupid early, DS1 now getting ready for work and DS2 still in his pit, will wake him shortly.

Wind is still raging here and it's damp underfoot, but not raining, we had heavy rain late last night as well as the wind, the wind is supposed to lessen during today. I have washing to put out but there's no point as it won't stay on the line.

Dinner last night was smoked sausage and mushroom pasta in a creme fraiche sauce, menfolk had a small breaded chicken portion with theirs, I had just the pasta. I remembered to get the chicken out to defrost so tonight we'll be having roast chicken pieces, mash, peas and gravy. I'll be prepping the potatoes before I leave for work as I'm working later tonight and won't have much time when I get home.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    Last edited by nmlc; 13-09-2017 at 6:25 AM.
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
Page 1
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 13th Sep 17, 6:26 AM
    • 3,085 Posts
    • 36,532 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    • 13th Sep 17, 6:26 AM
    • 13th Sep 17, 6:26 AM
    Morning all.

Thanks for the thread nmlc and hugs to all those in need.

It was very windy here last night, we had to close the Windows eventually as they were rattling so much

We're off to work in a sec where it is very busy.

Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 13th Sep 17, 6:33 AM
    • 918 Posts
    • 7,404 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    • 13th Sep 17, 6:33 AM
    • 13th Sep 17, 6:33 AM
    Morning everyone,

Thanks for starting us off nmlc

Seems like I’m back to the really early waking that I had a few weeks back. I’ve been up since 5.00am and have been reading.

I’m waiting for a text to give me my 4 hour slot for my new washing machine delivery; they phoned yesterday and said that I would get the text by 7.00am. Meanwhile I thought I would surf the net and enjoy the first cup of tea of the day.

I’m afraid I do dislike having to wait in for a delivery, I never feel that I can get on with anything for some reason, so just seem to wander around the house not sure what to do with myself and keep looking out of the window.

Yesterday I managed to get a lot of things sorted in the hall cupboard and stored nicely in large clear plastic boxes so I can see exactly what is in them. It’s so much tidier.

Dinner tonight will be a chicken breast with steamed veg, mashed potatoes and some gravy that I have defrosted. I’m trying to get the meat/fish from the freezer each day for my main meal to try and clear a bit of space, and save the money I would otherwise spend on food.

Have a good day everyone whatever you are doing.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 13th Sep 17, 6:41 AM
    • 5,768 Posts
    • 33,581 Thanks
    Gers
    • 13th Sep 17, 6:41 AM
    • 13th Sep 17, 6:41 AM
    Good morning all.

Still damp here, we had ferocious rain yesterday late afternoon so everything is soggy again.

This morning I've got a two hour teaching session first thing and then I'm going back down to Glasgow. DM is being discharged tomorrow

Short and sweet today!

Happy Wednesday folks.
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 13th Sep 17, 6:48 AM
    • 3,474 Posts
    • 40,029 Thanks
    camelot1001
    • 13th Sep 17, 6:48 AM
    • 13th Sep 17, 6:48 AM
    Morning All

Hope you are all safe from the storm, we had nothing here apart from rain, hardly a breath of wind all night!

Washing up to date, DW emptied and PL made, I'm going on a school trip today as we had no parent helpers, hope the rain stops long enough as we have to walk there.

Went shopping after work, the fridge looks a lot more healthy now. It wont last long as DS2 arrives tomorrow and he'll eat me out of house and home.

Hope you're having a good time with Lulu Lainey.
    Good news for your DM Gers.
    Belated birthday wishes Coxy, wear those diamonds with pride!

Have a happy Wednesday, take care. XX
    • Coxy11
    • By Coxy11 13th Sep 17, 7:08 AM
    • 2,084 Posts
    • 25,542 Thanks
    Coxy11
    • 13th Sep 17, 7:08 AM
    • 13th Sep 17, 7:08 AM
    Morning! Thanks for the start nmlc x
    Gers - great news about DMum x
    Hester - I was thinking about you on your boat after watching the news - all those $m boats damaged by hurricane Irma! Take care x

I have soup for lunch today so will need to get a soup microwave pot as otherwise it will go everywhere. Will nip to R Dyas at lunchtime. Hoping to get to the gym tonight. Last night was DDs Expectations evening for yr11 and then Dr foster plus over two hours of ironing (split with DH as he offered, and I wasn't going to refuse lol)

Hope you all have a great day,
    Coxy
    Cross-stitch WIP #1: Collecting Shells by Nancy Cole
    Cross-stitch WIP #2: Gingerbread Trio by Little House Needleworks
    • redruby
    • By redruby 13th Sep 17, 7:09 AM
    • 6,425 Posts
    • 88,783 Thanks
    redruby
    • 13th Sep 17, 7:09 AM
    • 13th Sep 17, 7:09 AM
    Morning all

Been very stormy here all night, its dry and bright now but still windy, off to work for me today but a short week which is nice.

DD is back tonight I cant wait to see her, I think this weather will be a shock to her as its been boiling there and she has been wearing shorts and strappy tops, its been thick socks and joggers here

Need to grab some chicken out after this, I shall do summer in winter chicken for dinner, nice and quick and I have tomatoes to use up and it is nice and quick.

No doubt the wm will be on tonight / tomorrow and then the summer cloths will be packed away for another year.

Right better get on have good days all xx
    • snoozer
    • By snoozer 13th Sep 17, 7:51 AM
    • 1,853 Posts
    • 18,195 Thanks
    snoozer
    • 13th Sep 17, 7:51 AM
    • 13th Sep 17, 7:51 AM
    I've been reading but not posting lately because my life is very dull at the moment, it has just seemed to be a long round of driving from place to place for the last couple of weeks.

I'll be driving again today - to DD's to puppy sit again. She wants to go to yoga tonight so it will be quite a late one. I'm taking down the ingredients for chicken korma and DH will come there from work and we'll drive home together.

I've had an itchy rash on my neck and chest which has been driving me crazy - I can't think of anything I'm allergic to that I've had in those areas and not in others but it might be something quite random.
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 13th Sep 17, 8:32 AM
    • 1,655 Posts
    • 12,860 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    • 13th Sep 17, 8:32 AM
    • 13th Sep 17, 8:32 AM
    Morning all,

Broke from routine this morning and didn't go to the gym. My wrist is still a bit sore and so I opted against it. Instead I got up early and done some bits and bobs around the house before leaving on time to nip into Asda en route to work.

When I finish, I've to pick my mums 2 dogs up from the kennels in advance of them returning from their holiday very early tomorrow morning. Kennels isn't the right word. It's essentially someone welcoming the dogs into their home for a week. They take really good care of them which is always reassuring.

I bought my mum some milk and a loaf for them coming home. I believe that's the thing to do. Don't know where I've picked that up from - I may even have made it up - just thought I'd do it.

Despite the sore wrist, I'm playing 7-a-side football again tonight. It'll be fine.

Famous last words.

Have a good day one and all.

snoozer - puppy sitting sounds awfully exciting!! Far from dull I'm sure.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    • Judi
    • By Judi 13th Sep 17, 8:43 AM
    • 15,081 Posts
    • 61,336 Thanks
    Judi
    Morning all,

i was awake most of the night, a combination of things kept me awake. The wind and the rain just one of them. No sign of any damage from what i can see out of my window but i pity the wildlife that had to take shelter from it.

The hounds will get their hair cut today. They might look like they have been dragged through a hedge backwards and they dont like having to sit still for so long but they bounce around like puppies afterwards.

Bits and pieces to do in the house today but not a lot.

Onwards and forwards,

have a great day all.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 13th Sep 17, 8:57 AM
    • 1,531 Posts
    • 18,017 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Morning everyone,

The wind and rain woke me up in the night so I put the light on and read for a while before dropping back off, luckily not too much damage here, one of the beech trees has lost a fairly big branch but that's about it.
    The farmer decided to plough the field at 7pm last night and kept going for a couple of hours with lights blazing, feel sorry for the squirrels that have been burying their stash in the field.
    I need to tackle mount ironmore this morning and then over to the yard as the vet is coming to give Lulu her jabs, she was following me round the field yesterday as I poo-picked, she's such a sweetie
    Have taken some chicken thighs out of the freezer and plan to do Catalan chicken, easy one pot dish.

Have a good day folks x
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 13th Sep 17, 9:16 AM
    • 1,662 Posts
    • 15,224 Thanks
    csarina2
    Morning ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) if you need one.

Terrible night, wind giving it hell outside, I could hear things flying about, no real damage although it did blow the large urn of plants over. OH slept through it all.

Drs to drop in scripts and then on to Lidl OH is out of yogurt need 2 packs of 8 to make it to the end of the month.

Still feeling rough, will be glad when I have finished the medication, still getting up to the toilet in the night, although the discomfort has gone, have a feeling its been going on so long its become a habiy.

No idea whats for supper tonight, will have to do a freezer dip.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 13th Sep 17, 10:56 AM
    • 15,255 Posts
    • 123,959 Thanks
    JackieO
    Good Morning all and hope everyone is safe and well with all the stormy weather around .Its bright and sunny here in the south although quite breezy, more rain is forecast for later.
    Gers good news that your Mum is being discharged, try to get some 'feet up ' time with a book if you can.

DDs day off today so I have no boys to trail after and I am going to have a pottering around sort of day.I shall be sorting out my freezer and doing a bit of cooking later and then this afternoon I have the U3A monthly meeting .

I want to put my SC on and use up some of the stewing steak I have in the freezer, which will be portioned up when cold and returned to the freezer for 'ready meals' for the nights when I just don't feel like cooking
    No shopping to buy this week though as I am away on Saturday down to see my sis-in-law in Faversham and we are going out for a meal in the evening and Sunday night I am at my DDs for dinner,so only three evening meals to sort out for this week.

Juggling my stuff in the fridge and freezer around and using up as much as I can from my indoor stocks and hopefully won't need to go shopping until next week as I have enough to cover the rest of this week already September's belt-tightening is working well at the moment

Hope everyone doesn't have too much damage with the storms which seem to be more in the north at the moment.

Take care chums and stay safe

JackieO xxx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Sep 17, 11:00 AM
    • 2,229 Posts
    • 15,047 Thanks
    caronc
    Good morning everyone, thanks to nmlc for starting the thread and hugs to anyone that needs one.

I can can hardly hear myself think due to the rain battering off the consevatory roof, thank goodness the weather is due to pick up a bit after today. We've had so much rain it's damaged the main sewer in the road at the front of my house, causing shall we say some "inconsistencies" in the loo flushing department.......

I peeled a load of shallots on Monday which have brining in a bowl so must get them jarred and pickled today. Mince & tatties for dinner with some chard from the garden, it's real food in a bowl weather!

Hope everyone has a good day x
    May GC £150/£150, June GC £117/£120, July £185/£170, August £108/£120, Sep GC £109/£120
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 13th Sep 17, 2:22 PM
    • 9,687 Posts
    • 104,513 Thanks
    LameWolf
    When I finish, I've to pick my mums 2 dogs up from the kennels in advance of them returning from their holiday very early tomorrow morning. Kennels isn't the right word. It's essentially someone welcoming the dogs into their home for a week. They take really good care of them which is always reassuring.
    Originally posted by SpekySquarehead
    That's the sort of thing I do, Speky. It's very rewarding work, too; and the first time in my life I've been paid for doing something I enjoy.

I think Daisy has remembered when she was here three years ago, because she very resolutely asked to turn left at the junction in the path to take the "short loop" as I call that route, this morning.

It's our 14th wedding anniversary today (where the heck did 14 years go?) so I'll be doing some Qu0rn fillets in white wine sauce with roasted root veggies for dins, and we have some chocolate brownies to have for dessert. There's also champagne in the fridge.
    Daisy will be having a chicken thigh (as provided by her owner).
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • Gintotmelinda
    • By Gintotmelinda 13th Sep 17, 4:28 PM
    • 898 Posts
    • 11,055 Thanks
    Gintotmelinda
    Hi all

Back from foodbank which was busy today. we has 11 new cases and myself and 3 other registrars worked non stop seeing clients for more than 3 hours before the rush subsided. We have never been that busy before,

I am glad that we have a beef stew in the slow cooker for dinner tonight, Boy am I exhausted . .This is on top of 6 hours toddler wrangling yesterday, with more to come tomorrow and Friday. DGS starts back at nursery next Wednesday afternoon so we are hoping only to do Tuesdays and Wednesday morning after that. Oh and school holidays now as well.

This means that we cannot doing foodbank sessions anymore although I will probably remain on the management committee and we will be sorting harvest donations shortly if w can find some free time.

Gers glad your mum is coming home.

have a good afternoon and evening all. Hugs and spoons to all who need them.

Gintot
    "It's hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world"
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 13th Sep 17, 4:34 PM
    • 191 Posts
    • 1,988 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    LameWolf Happy Anniversary have a lovely evening
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • Gintotmelinda
    • By Gintotmelinda 13th Sep 17, 8:00 PM
    • 898 Posts
    • 11,055 Thanks
    Gintotmelinda
    Popping back to say Happy Anniversary to the LW's. Enjoy your evening. Many congratulations.

Gintot
    "It's hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world"
    • FurryBeastOz
    • By FurryBeastOz 13th Sep 17, 8:07 PM
    • 1,083 Posts
    • 14,295 Thanks
    FurryBeastOz
    Happy Anniversary Mr & Mrs LW

We got to 13 on Monday. I don't know where the time has gone either. Glad you have Daisy with you to celebrate.
    *** Debt Free***
    NST September - /18
    Goals - Weight loss 0/13lb from 1st Jul 17
    GC To 1/9/17 £2152.27/£3,500, 61.5/66.6% of the year. Had to raise budget
    • Gers
    • By Gers 13th Sep 17, 8:31 PM
    • 5,768 Posts
    • 33,581 Thanks
    Gers
    to the LW's, that's good going, hope you enjoyed the evening.

Day has been a tad manic. I sat for 10 mins waiting for all the students to join in the video conference session only to find I'd used the wrong dial in code - felt a fool!

DM was up and sitting in the social area of the ward, or the day room as it used to be called. She was very chatty, still tired and ready to come home tomorrow. The consultant wants her usual meds to be in blister packs now, just to ensure she gets them all right, happily she seems content with that suggestion.

I treated myself to a Chinese takeaway from a place really close to DM's, I want expecting greatness but was very pleased with it. I'm now in bed watching some mindless telly and winding down.

Happy thoughts to all.

PS in edit- got a text saying that the septic tank does need emptying, it's been approx 40 years since it was last done. I'll make sure I'm away from home when that's being done!
    Last edited by Gers; 13-09-2017 at 8:37 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,739Posts Today

8,746Users online

Martin's Twitter