Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • steveh2001
    • By steveh2001 13th Sep 17, 5:53 AM
    • 1,244Posts
    • 92Thanks
    steveh2001
    HSBC - Execution Only - Securitisation...
    • 13th Sep 17, 5:53 AM
    HSBC - Execution Only - Securitisation... 13th Sep 17 at 5:53 AM
    Hi

I've got a remortgage offer from HSBC through an online execution only application and have been fine with the process up until it mentions securitisation.

It did not mention this in the quote KFI, but it does in the offer KFI.

It alludes to the fact my mortgage could be sold to another lender and (in exceptional circumstances) I could have to deal with another lender.

-is this normal for all lenders?
    -should I be worried?
    -is it because I did the application execution only?
    -anything else I should know?

There is not a lot mentioned about it in mortgage guides so it makes me wonder if it is normal...!

Thank you
    Steven
Page 1
    • Edi81
    • By Edi81 13th Sep 17, 7:03 AM
    • 313 Posts
    • 190 Thanks
    Edi81
    • 13th Sep 17, 7:03 AM
    • 13th Sep 17, 7:03 AM
    Totally normal.
    Securitisation of mortgages is normal but it's not transferring to another lender. It's a way for banks to access funding.

The other condition about another lender is also standard. They can sell their loan book to another company if they wish. It doesn't mean that you will have a change of terms.
    • steveh2001
    • By steveh2001 13th Sep 17, 11:50 AM
    • 1,244 Posts
    • 92 Thanks
    steveh2001
    • 13th Sep 17, 11:50 AM
    • 13th Sep 17, 11:50 AM
    Thanks, it was freaking me out reading about securitisation was the cause of the 2008 housing crash!

I don't remember seeing this in the KFI when I took out my main mortgage with Bationwide in 2009, so maybe it's new.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 13th Sep 17, 11:56 AM
    • 6,096 Posts
    • 5,843 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 13th Sep 17, 11:56 AM
    • 13th Sep 17, 11:56 AM
    I don't remember seeing this in the KFI when I took out my main mortgage with Bationwide in 2009, so maybe it's new.
    Originally posted by steveh2001
    Might not have been in the KFI (not convinced it needs to be as it doesn't affect your deal) but I expect it would have been in the conditions somewhere.
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 13th Sep 17, 11:57 AM
    • 32,215 Posts
    • 17,252 Thanks
    kingstreet
    • 13th Sep 17, 11:57 AM
    • 13th Sep 17, 11:57 AM
    Thanks, it was freaking me out reading about securitisation was the cause of the 2008 housing crash!
    Originally posted by steveh2001
    Securitisation was around for over 20 years before that.

What caused the problem was the bundling of sub-prime lending with prime homeloans in each RMBS by certain US banks.

The buyers of the RMBS couldn't identify what was good bad or indifferent among their securities, so trust disappeared.

UK high street lenders do what happened at the outset of securitisation, only bundling prime with prime to ensure a (eg) AAA credit rating.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

170Posts Today

1,657Users online

Martin's Twitter