Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • britishboy
    • By britishboy 13th Sep 17, 3:08 AM
    • 2,356Posts
    • 263Thanks
    britishboy
    Taking iPhone to thailand
    • 13th Sep 17, 3:08 AM
    Taking iPhone to thailand 13th Sep 17 at 3:08 AM
    im going ot thailand for a month and unsure whether to just pay and use the WorldTraveller option to use my allowance, or buy a Thai sim card with data allowance out there. If I do the latter, is it just a case of powering phone down, swap sim cards over and switch back on?

Forgive my ignorance, as never done anything like this before. I'm with Vodafone (if that makes a difference)
Page 1
    • Jon 01
    • By Jon 01 13th Sep 17, 6:51 AM
    • 4,946 Posts
    • 1,567 Thanks
    Jon 01
    • 13th Sep 17, 6:51 AM
    • 13th Sep 17, 6:51 AM
    You'd need to check that the phone's not locked to your UK network. If it was bought 'sim free' from Apple it's not locked.
    If it came from most of the networks here, the odds are it is and you'd need to ask them to unlock it for you.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 13th Sep 17, 9:49 AM
    • 2,924 Posts
    • 1,282 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 13th Sep 17, 9:49 AM
    • 13th Sep 17, 9:49 AM
    With an unlocked handset you can replace the Vodafone SIM with a Thai prepaid SIM, top-up and purchase various 4G data packages according to your needs, much cheaper than roaming on Vodafone. There are three main networks, AIS, D-TAC and True, the SIM costs just over a pound normally unless you buy a 'tourist SIM' in the airport which are relatively poor value. Passport is needed for activation.
    • britishboy
    • By britishboy 29th Sep 17, 3:26 PM
    • 2,356 Posts
    • 263 Thanks
    britishboy
    • 29th Sep 17, 3:26 PM
    • 29th Sep 17, 3:26 PM
    Thanks all, am thinking now to maybe buy a cheap unlocked smartphone for about £60 or £70, use it in thailand with a thai SIM and then sell the phone on eBay once im home, just in case i look or break my iphone while away for a month.

Any recommendations for a half decent, cheap smartphone?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,915Posts Today

7,732Users online

Martin's Twitter