Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Maven2929
    • By Maven2929 13th Sep 17, 1:44 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Maven2929
    Paypal Account Limited Because Of Dispute/Chargeback?
    • 13th Sep 17, 1:44 AM
    Paypal Account Limited Because Of Dispute/Chargeback? 13th Sep 17 at 1:44 AM
    Hello Everyone,

I recently paid two sellers who were retailing the Samsung Galaxy S5. One was selling it for £230 and the other for £170.

I opened disputes against both sellers on Paypal and escalated the disputes as the handsets did not arrive. My Paypal account is now limited as I opened two disputes and escalated them and I have also lost both escalated claims. So essentially, two scammers have £400 of my money now.

The payments were directly withdrawn from my Barclay's DEBIT Visa card via Paypal. Is there anyway I can request a charge back from Barclays?
    Login & Quick Reply
Page 1
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 13th Sep 17, 8:16 AM
    • 11,250 Posts
    • 7,532 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 13th Sep 17, 8:16 AM
    • 13th Sep 17, 8:16 AM
    There is more to this.

If you were the buyer and the items didn't arrive, what happened in the disputes for you to lose?
    • Brynsam
    • By Brynsam 13th Sep 17, 8:56 AM
    • 225 Posts
    • 187 Thanks
    Brynsam
    • 13th Sep 17, 8:56 AM
    • 13th Sep 17, 8:56 AM
    Why did you lose - or more precisely, why did the sellers succeed in defending your claim?
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 13th Sep 17, 9:21 AM
    • 3,151 Posts
    • 1,812 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    • 13th Sep 17, 9:21 AM
    • 13th Sep 17, 9:21 AM
    Oh Dear! :/
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 13th Sep 17, 9:23 AM
    • 59,491 Posts
    • 42,184 Thanks
    soolin
    • 13th Sep 17, 9:23 AM
    • 13th Sep 17, 9:23 AM
    Hello Everyone,

I recently paid two sellers who were retailing the Samsung Galaxy S5. One was selling it for £230 and the other for £170.

I opened disputes against both sellers on Paypal and escalated the disputes as the handsets did not arrive. My Paypal account is now limited as I opened two disputes and escalated them and I have also lost both escalated claims. So essentially, two scammers have £400 of my money now.

The payments were directly withdrawn from my Barclay's DEBIT Visa card via Paypal. Is there anyway I can request a charge back from Barclays?
    Login & Quick Reply
    Originally posted by Maven2929
    As above, we need more information to assist you as the situation as described by you is not possible- so we must be missing something vital.

Assuming this isn't a wind up (and assuming OP actually comes back and logs in again) how did the sellers defend the INR?
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • Maven2929
    • By Maven2929 13th Sep 17, 9:40 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Maven2929
    • 13th Sep 17, 9:40 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 9:40 PM
    Thanks for the prompt response.

One of the sellers didn't even reply to my dispute at all. The other stated that he posted it using First Class Royal Mail but provided no proof.

So both sellers did not provide any proof of postage as they failed to reply to my dispute. Hence, I escalated both cases and now have lost my funds due to my account limitation.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 13th Sep 17, 10:17 PM
    • 59,491 Posts
    • 42,184 Thanks
    soolin
    • 13th Sep 17, 10:17 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 10:17 PM
    Thanks for the prompt response.

One of the sellers didn't even reply to my dispute at all. The other stated that he posted it using First Class Royal Mail but provided no proof.

So both sellers did not provide any proof of postage as they failed to reply to my dispute. Hence, I escalated both cases and now have lost my funds due to my account limitation.
    Then there is something you are not telling us.

If a buyer opens an INR (item not received) case and seller cannot show online proof of delivery then buyer wins the dispute. Buyers do not get their PayPal accounts limited for making genuine INR claims.

OP, several things occur to me here, and I'm sure others will have more ideas but firstly, is your PayPal account newly opened, was all your info on it correct, (no made up addresses etc) or if it was an older account have you ever had warnings before ? Have you previously ever had a PayPal account suspended due to fraud?

Are you in anyway connected with the sellers?

Did you buy through eBay and wherever you bought from did you send payment for named goods or did you send a friends or family payment?

Have you phoned PayPal to see why they think you are a scammer, or connected with the scammers- as that is the only real reason I can think of for them to restrict you .
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • preable
    • By preable 14th Sep 17, 4:14 AM
    • 1,912 Posts
    • 1,268 Thanks
    preable
    • 14th Sep 17, 4:14 AM
    • 14th Sep 17, 4:14 AM
    Definitely something wrong here.. Have you ever been banned from PayPal for fraud or linked to anyone that has?
    • Maven2929
    • By Maven2929 20th Sep 17, 6:32 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Maven2929
    • 20th Sep 17, 6:32 PM
    • 20th Sep 17, 6:32 PM
    Cases are automatically lost if your Paypal account enters a permanent limitation. Its their policy. I still cant believe my accounts been permanently limited as I escalated just two disputes.

As soon as I escalated the disputes, my account became limited. Once my Paypal account became permanently limited any escalated cases are closed automatically.

This is from Paypals Policy "As a result of this limitation you will not be able to send or receive funds and we will suspend any open claims and we will deny these claims. Your purchases are no longer eligible for PayPal Buyer Protection, and future claims will be denied. Please feel free to continue and pursue a resolution directly with the seller."
    • charlies_mum
    • By charlies_mum 20th Sep 17, 7:48 PM
    • 6,825 Posts
    • 30,378 Thanks
    charlies_mum
    You need to urgently phone PayPal and question why your account has been suspended

If the sellers were unable to provide tracking information, you would automatically win the chargeback

Something isn't right here and you need to sort it quickly with PayPal
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 20th Sep 17, 8:06 PM
    • 11,250 Posts
    • 7,532 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    Cases are automatically lost if your Paypal account enters a permanent limitation. Its their policy. I still cant believe my accounts been permanently limited as I escalated just two disputes.

As soon as I escalated the disputes, my account became limited. Once my Paypal account became permanently limited any escalated cases are closed automatically.

This is from Paypals Policy "As a result of this limitation you will not be able to send or receive funds and we will suspend any open claims and we will deny these claims. Your purchases are no longer eligible for PayPal Buyer Protection, and future claims will be denied. Please feel free to continue and pursue a resolution directly with the seller."
    Which means your two cases weren't the reason you were limited.

What was the reason?

Quote T&C all you like, but if you want help, you need to give us some background.....
    • MataNui
    • By MataNui 21st Sep 17, 8:23 AM
    • 857 Posts
    • 438 Thanks
    MataNui
    You can still do a chargeback via your bank against paypal. Without them being able to provide any evidence that the items were received or even posted you should win.

Be aware though that doing this pretty much means you wont be able to use ebay or paypal again (not that its going to make much difference to you anyway) also paypal will send nasty letters from fake debt collectors full of lies to threaten you. You can just ignore them or tell them to impolitely go away if you want. It wont go any further than that.
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 21st Sep 17, 8:59 AM
    • 2,534 Posts
    • 2,624 Thanks
    LadyDee
    Two phones, same model, bought on ebay, neither arrived ..hmmmm. Wonder if somebody's fishing? Sorry, there's something very odd about this OP
    • soolin
    • By soolin 21st Sep 17, 9:09 AM
    • 59,491 Posts
    • 42,184 Thanks
    soolin

Please have a look at my post number 7.

As has been said something has triggered a fraud warning on your PayPal account, that is very serious indeed and you need to find out why.
    New to Forum? Guide
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

722Posts Today

6,140Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin