Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ValeriaBA
    • By ValeriaBA 13th Sep 17, 12:16 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    ValeriaBA
    Chimeney pipe - planning permission question
    • 13th Sep 17, 12:16 AM
    Chimeney pipe - planning permission question 13th Sep 17 at 12:16 AM
    My neighbour downstairs had a pipe installed just a few inches from my bedroom window. It not only expels a white smoke but also makes a awful noise (I believe this is link to a industrial boiler they've recently refitted) constantly. Would anyone be able to advise whether there is a particular regulation governing the distance require between the pipes to a house? And how can I go about resolving this issue? (I've tried talking to the neighbour for months but he's ignoring the issue altogether). Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • Mutton Geoff
    • By Mutton Geoff 13th Sep 17, 12:51 AM
    • 956 Posts
    • 1,001 Thanks
    Mutton Geoff
    • 13th Sep 17, 12:51 AM
    • 13th Sep 17, 12:51 AM
    My neighbour downstairs had a pipe installed just a few inches from my bedroom window. It not only expels a white smoke but also makes a awful noise (I believe this is link to a industrial boiler they've recently refitted) constantly. Would anyone be able to advise whether there is a particular regulation governing the distance require between the pipes to a house? And how can I go about resolving this issue? (I've tried talking to the neighbour for months but he's ignoring the issue altogether). Thanks in advance
    Originally posted by ValeriaBA

If it's a horizontal flue from a gas boiler, the "white smoke" will mostly be condensation, not smoke. The flue needs to be at least 30cm (about 12 inches from your opening windows). If it's "a few inches" then it's in breach of building regulations (not planning). Your local council website will have the phone number of your local building regulations department.

http://www.nhbc.co.uk/Builders/Technicaladviceandsupport/TechnicalGuidance/68/filedownload,37239,en.pdf
    Compensations/Refunds from Banks & Institutions - £4,165 | Stooz Profits - £7,636 | Quidco - £3,963

All with a big thank you to Martin and MSE.com from Mutton Geoff!
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 13th Sep 17, 6:25 AM
    • 714 Posts
    • 256 Thanks
    sevenhills
    • 13th Sep 17, 6:25 AM
    • 13th Sep 17, 6:25 AM
    When installing a new flue system, if the flue exits the roof within 600mm (horizontally) from the ridge (high point) of the roof then the flue must extend a minimum of 600mm above the ridge.
    If the flue exits the roof further down then it must extend high enough to acheive 2.3m of horizontal clearance. That height will be determined by the pitch (angle) of your roof.

• Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 13th Sep 17, 7:05 AM
    • 23,965 Posts
    • 66,528 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 13th Sep 17, 7:05 AM
    • 13th Sep 17, 7:05 AM
    When installing a new flue system, if the flue exits the roof within 600mm (horizontally) from the ridge (high point) of the roof then the flue must extend a minimum of 600mm above the ridge.
    If the flue exits the roof further down then it must extend high enough to acheive 2.3m of horizontal clearance. That height will be determined by the pitch (angle) of your roof.
    Originally posted by sevenhills
    Erm, I'm pretty sure that is for the flue of something like a wood burning stove, not a boiler! I bet your boiler on your house doesn't have a flue anything like that

This thread is also on the wrong board.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 13th Sep 17, 10:38 AM
    • 714 Posts
    • 256 Thanks
    sevenhills
    • 13th Sep 17, 10:38 AM
    • 13th Sep 17, 10:38 AM
    Erm, I'm pretty sure that is for the flue of something like a wood burning stove, not a boiler! I bet your boiler on your house doesn't have a flue anything like that

This thread is also on the wrong board.
    Originally posted by Doozergirl
    My mistake, I was confused by the OP calling it a 'industrial boiler' and making a noise. It sounds rather strange.

• Broken Biscuits
    • By Broken Biscuits 13th Sep 17, 10:45 AM
    • 330 Posts
    • 632 Thanks
    Broken Biscuits
    • 13th Sep 17, 10:45 AM
    • 13th Sep 17, 10:45 AM
    If you own your home, speak to your home insurers to see if you have legal cover. Smoke being dispersed onto your window and the noise you have described is likely to be covered under a legal policy as a legal nuisance or trespass under the property section of your policy.

If you rent, approach your land lord who should show an interest and look to resolve on your behalf.

Your local environmental health officer may have some power to act too.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 13th Sep 17, 11:13 AM
    • 41,935 Posts
    • 48,540 Thanks
    G_M
    • 13th Sep 17, 11:13 AM
    • 13th Sep 17, 11:13 AM
    Do you live in a flat?
    Is your neighbour downstairs living in a flat too? Or is it a commercial property? Restaurant?
    Do you own your flat or rent?

But yes, there are regulations about this - speak to the Building Regulations Dept at your council.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 13th Sep 17, 2:00 PM
    • 15,463 Posts
    • 13,784 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 13th Sep 17, 2:00 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 2:00 PM
    My mistake, I was confused by the OP calling it a 'industrial boiler' and making a noise. It sounds rather strange.
    Originally posted by sevenhills
    Probably a perfectly normal condensing boiler.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,432Posts Today

7,876Users online

Martin's Twitter