Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • EddyBaloch
    • By EddyBaloch 12th Sep 17, 11:17 PM
    • 59Posts
    • 10Thanks
    Your opinion on my buildings survey?
    • #1
    • 12th Sep 17, 11:17 PM
    Your opinion on my buildings survey? 12th Sep 17 at 11:17 PM
    Hi all,

    I am had my survey (1950s semi detatched house) and it is all red and orange

    The survey says:
    - Replace guttering
    - Replace plumbing (3 different types of pipes used so leak highly likely)
    - Sub floor ventilation poor so get an expert to review subfloor joists (suspended timber floor)
    - Drainage might be cracked so get a drainage survey
    - Property has cracks and signs of some movement. Get a structural engineer to investigate further.

    I am a first time buyer and I had not anticipated any of above comments. Love the house but didn't budget for above in our offer.

    Is this common to see these problems?

    Should I ditch this house and look elsewhere?

Page 1
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 13th Sep 17, 3:58 AM
    • 23,949 Posts
    • 90,128 Thanks
    • #2
    • 13th Sep 17, 3:58 AM
    • #2
    • 13th Sep 17, 3:58 AM
    The important part here is the possibility of structual movement, which would not be something you'd want to buy into. Having said that, in some places, and with older properties in particular, movement can be common because of clay sub-soils..

    What a structural engineer would do is assess whether the movement is historic or ongoing; the latter being most serious and important to avoid.

    If the house is moving or has moved in the past, there is a possibility that the integrity of the drains might have been compromised. You could get a cctv survey to check, but you'd wait on the advice of the engineer.

    Try to speak with the surveyor. They may be more candid if reporting verbally. Some of the issues, like the poor underfloor ventilation, are not unusual, so there might be a certain amount of rear-end covering in what's been written.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • EddyBaloch
    • By EddyBaloch 13th Sep 17, 10:07 AM
    • 59 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    • #3
    • 13th Sep 17, 10:07 AM
    • #3
    • 13th Sep 17, 10:07 AM
    Thank you so much for your response.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

329Posts Today

2,138Users online

Martin's Twitter