Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fiisch
    • By fiisch 12th Sep 17, 11:03 PM
    • 163Posts
    • 62Thanks
    fiisch
    Car Deposit Difference - What Would You Do?
    • 12th Sep 17, 11:03 PM
    Car Deposit Difference - What Would You Do? 12th Sep 17 at 11:03 PM
    In June this year, we ordered a new Seat Leon - just a basic model for my wife and baby to run errands in. It's a lovely car - very ample for what we bought it for, and I'm overall I'm pleased with it.

We agreed a very good deal on the car, which involved an initial deposit of £500 which would be refunded at collection, less £24 for fuel (despite getting money off the deal, they refused to budge on the fuel charge, something I've never experienced before!!).

After I'd placed the order, my wife noted the car didn't come with automatic headlights, and she absolutely had to have these, so I rang up the dealer to amend the order. The original salesman wasn't there, but I spoke to someone else who advised they cost £120. To avoid meddling with the monthly payments, I agreed to pay this on collection (so net I'd be getting £500 refund, less £24 fuel and £120 for the auto lights).

About two weeks before collection, I emailed the dealer to confirm the details, and he confirmed in writing that on collection I would be getting £476 refund. However, on the day of collection I was given £326 - the inclusion of auto lights necessitated an additional add-on (internal LED lighting) at a cost of £130. I didn't clock this immediately (I was feeling a bit worse for wear after a works do the night before), but raised with the salesman a few days later. He said he'd check with the area manager and come back to me the following Wednesday. Four weeks, and three emails to chase later, I've heard nothing.

Should I let this lie and accept my own foolishness for a). tampering with the deal once it'd been agreed and not questioning on the day of collection or b). phone the dealer and make a nuisance of myself?

I don't know whether it's buyer's remorse but there's been a few niggles with the car - it wasn't prepped properly (residue left on the bumper which I've had to pay to get properly removed by a detailer) and they didn't keep me updated as promised regarding delivery of the car, which was important as I was trying to time the sale of my wife's previous car.

Am I being a difficult ****er and just let it lie, or do I complain / query the deposit charge with my card provider?
Page 1
    • Shaka_Zulu
    • By Shaka_Zulu 13th Sep 17, 8:26 AM
    • 965 Posts
    • 2,182 Thanks
    Shaka_Zulu
    • 13th Sep 17, 8:26 AM
    • 13th Sep 17, 8:26 AM
    From what you say my calculations suggest 500-(24+120+130) = £226.

Surely your argument is over the charging of the internal light (£130) which in fact they have discounted by £100.

500-(24+120+30) = £326

Why didn't you take the car back to the dealer to have any residue removed?

I messed up a name on flight on RyanAir the cost of rectifying would be minimal but they have charged me £110 more than the three flights..........c'est la guerre!
    Last edited by Shaka_Zulu; 13-09-2017 at 8:29 AM.
    ‘I’m not in favour of this new-age drippiness’ JRM
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 13th Sep 17, 8:33 AM
    • 540 Posts
    • 501 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    • 13th Sep 17, 8:33 AM
    • 13th Sep 17, 8:33 AM
    ..........c'est la guerre!
    Originally posted by Shaka_Zulu
    "It's the war"?????
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 13th Sep 17, 8:48 AM
    • 23,834 Posts
    • 50,484 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    • 13th Sep 17, 8:48 AM
    • 13th Sep 17, 8:48 AM
    "It's the war"?????
    Originally posted by bertiewhite

Errr...yes. It's a fairly common expression which is better translated idiomatically as 'That's Life'.
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 13th Sep 17, 8:56 AM
    • 540 Posts
    • 501 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    • 13th Sep 17, 8:56 AM
    • 13th Sep 17, 8:56 AM
    Well yeh, I know "C'est la vie", but not "la guerre".

Oh well, every day's a school day!!!!
    • tykesi
    • By tykesi 13th Sep 17, 9:54 AM
    • 1,735 Posts
    • 2,399 Thanks
    tykesi
    • 13th Sep 17, 9:54 AM
    • 13th Sep 17, 9:54 AM
    Who on earth "absolutely has" to have automatic lights? What's so difficult about using a switch at night or in reduced visibility?
    £2017 in 2017 - £3238.42
    • missile
    • By missile 13th Sep 17, 11:03 AM
    • 8,851 Posts
    • 4,278 Thanks
    missile
    • 13th Sep 17, 11:03 AM
    • 13th Sep 17, 11:03 AM
    Am I being a difficult ****er
    yes .....................
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • Shaka_Zulu
    • By Shaka_Zulu 13th Sep 17, 11:10 AM
    • 965 Posts
    • 2,182 Thanks
    Shaka_Zulu
    • 13th Sep 17, 11:10 AM
    • 13th Sep 17, 11:10 AM
    Who on earth "absolutely has" to have automatic lights? What's so difficult about using a switch at night or in reduced visibility?
    Originally posted by tykesi
    Are you married (living with a woman)?

If you are you should know the answer to that question. If you aren't you will soon find out.
    ‘I’m not in favour of this new-age drippiness’ JRM
    • societys child
    • By societys child 13th Sep 17, 11:31 AM
    • 4,549 Posts
    • 4,848 Thanks
    societys child
    • 13th Sep 17, 11:31 AM
    • 13th Sep 17, 11:31 AM
    Are you married (living with a woman)?
    I am, but she'd only get auto lights if they were already fitted . . .

• facade
    • By facade 13th Sep 17, 11:56 AM
    • 2,836 Posts
    • 1,437 Thanks
    facade
    My car has "atomic" headlights, as like radioactive decay they operate purely at random. I know when they operate, as the info display flicks into night mode.

They don't operate at all when it would be useful, e.g. in fog, only when they can blow the headlight bulbs by repeatedly flashing on & off, whilst outside there is a solar flare in progress......

So they are switched firmly to OFF.

However, my car is thankfully not fitted with an alarmingly bright LED dashboard, so it is fairly easy to tell if I need the lights on, as I can't read the speedo easily.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 13th Sep 17, 12:58 PM
    • 509 Posts
    • 624 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    Before automatic lights and wipers we never went anywhere in our cars if it was dark or raining. . .

Mind you, I read that apparently in the 20s and 30s, many motorists laid their cars up in Winter because the cars were generally poorly equipped for bad weather and the dark.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 13th Sep 17, 3:07 PM
    • 9,637 Posts
    • 7,629 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    Up until the 1960s windscreen wipers on Fords were vacuum operated, the faster the car went, the slower the wipers went!
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 13th Sep 17, 3:59 PM
    • 5,652 Posts
    • 5,109 Thanks
    Herzlos
    Before automatic lights and wipers we never went anywhere in our cars if it was dark or raining. .
    Originally posted by Jackmydad
    To be fair auto wipers the only feature I miss. having to tweak the stalk every couple of minutes on a journey as the rain changes is a nuisance. It's easy enough to do but I'd rather not.
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 13th Sep 17, 4:35 PM
    • 509 Posts
    • 624 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    Up until the 1960s windscreen wipers on Fords were vacuum operated, the faster the car went, the slower the wipers went!
    Originally posted by lincroft1710
    I can remember going somewhere with my dad. Must have been about 1967, and he had one of his usual old bangers a "Sit up and beg" Ford Pop. P - ing down with rain. Wipers were going like mad going up the hill at about 25 mph, but going fast(er) down the other side they were at a crawl.

To be fair auto wipers the only feature I miss. having to tweak the stalk every couple of minutes on a journey as the rain changes is a nuisance. It's easy enough to do but I'd rather not.
    Originally posted by Herzlos
    I've actually not driven with them. Be nice if they work properly as you say.
    I'm not much on "auto" stuff in general, I'm not a Luddite, but I find that inevitably it ends up being "better" on manual.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 13th Sep 17, 5:11 PM
    • 18,433 Posts
    • 14,147 Thanks
    agrinnall
    I'm not much on "auto" stuff in general, I'm not a Luddite, but I find that inevitably it ends up being "better" on manual.
    Originally posted by Jackmydad
    I don't find that's the case with either lights or wipers, both of which seem to work pretty well on automatic in my last two cars, both Fiestas.
    • Iceweasel
    • By Iceweasel 13th Sep 17, 6:35 PM
    • 4,194 Posts
    • 3,035 Thanks
    Iceweasel
    I don't find that's the case with either lights or wipers, both of which seem to work pretty well on automatic in my last two cars, both Fiestas.
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    I agree - I have no issues with:

auto lights
    adaptive lights - no need to change between dip and full beam
    auto cornering lights
    auto wipers
    auto fan speed - linked to climate control which is never off
    auto recirc - when pollutants/nasty smells are detected coming in
    adaptive suspension - reacts to the road surface
    auto braking when in cruise control going downhill

nor with the auto 8-speed gearbox

All of the above respond quicker to changing situations than I can, and it's only very very rarely that I would wish to override any of them.

Even the gear-box is linked to the sat-nav and knows when I am approaching a corner or roundabout and selects a gear in preparation/readiness.

I do have a problem sometimes with the stop/start which cannot see ahead and predict when the vehicles in front will move off again. I often switch that feature off.
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 13th Sep 17, 6:35 PM
    • 491 Posts
    • 188 Thanks
    sevenhills
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    They tend to come on when its a little dull, if they followed the Highway code, I would have them on.

• fiisch
    • By fiisch 13th Sep 17, 11:07 PM
    • 163 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    fiisch
    Oops - yes £226 refunded not £326... I was being a little facetious about the auto-headlights, but given her old car had it on and she hasn't been driving long, she was worried she'd forget (in fairness, I don't like how modern cars have backlit dials even when headlights aren't on, as this used to be a dead giveaway on older cars... Although some people still managed to forget, presumably as they never looked at the dials.)

I probably am being a bit awkward, but it's a principle - I feel like the deal has been made in bad faith, as they have not stuck to their word. I will call the dealer tomorrow to see if they are willing to rectify (I doubt it). Could it be worth a call to the credit card company to ask about a Section 75 request I wonder.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,163Posts Today

6,063Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin