Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • notrealname
    • By notrealname 12th Sep 17, 10:33 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    notrealname
    Help...Notice to Childminder?
    • 12th Sep 17, 10:33 PM
    Help...Notice to Childminder? 12th Sep 17 at 10:33 PM
    My childminder used to collect my children one day a week from school and keep until 5.30pm. We found more suitable arrangements and I gave her notice before the end of the last term that we would not be needing her any further. I gave seven weeks notice - inclusive of summer holidays. She sent me an email saying that the contract excludes notice during "holidays" and charged me the entire month of August (£110) as her notice period. The contract requires four weeks notice and excludes holidays, which is not a defined term in the policy - i had assumed it meant her holidays, when she was unable to find replacement work as she was not working. The CM did work over the summer holidays, as I saw on FB as she put numerous posts up -she took two weeks off in the summer only. The contract is a standard one and is not relevant for the term time care she verbally offered so am surprised by her reliance on the contract term (and makes me wish I had called her our on her breaches of contract, for example, that her daughter collected my children from school once - without telling us and without permission). I think the use of 'holidays' is an unfair contract term, unless defined - it could mean her holiday, my holiday, school holidays, bank holidays etc. I am happy to accept that she was 'on holiday' for two weeks, so I should give her six weeks notice - but we gave her seven. Do you think I owe her the £110?
Page 1
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 13th Sep 17, 10:13 AM
    • 15,143 Posts
    • 14,757 Thanks
    Guest101
    • 13th Sep 17, 10:13 AM
    • 13th Sep 17, 10:13 AM
    The better question is - will she take you to court ?

I'd say it's unlikely over a small amount
    • notrealname
    • By notrealname 13th Sep 17, 2:07 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    notrealname
    • 13th Sep 17, 2:07 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 2:07 PM
    Yes, true enough..... I'm a tad inflamed as we have paid her over £15k in fees and have put up with with numerous issues on her part only to receive this bill. Seven weeks notice! It just comes across as incredibly grasping. I have seen other versions of childminder contracts where holidays are defined as 'childminder's holidays', which is fair enough.
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 13th Sep 17, 2:38 PM
    • 319 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    • 13th Sep 17, 2:38 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 2:38 PM
    Can you not let the child stay there to the end and then start the new minder.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,046Posts Today

6,901Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's twitter poll: How many languages do you speak (inc Eng) with reasonable fluency (eg can have decent phone chat solely in that lang)

• RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• Follow Martin