Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • levdon01
    • By levdon01 12th Sep 17, 9:05 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    levdon01
    Out of interest - do you hold Gold?
    • 12th Sep 17, 9:05 PM
    Out of interest - do you hold Gold? 12th Sep 17 at 9:05 PM
    Hi all,

I wondered, as an economist, how many people on here hold physical gold as an investment (I'm not talking about your wedding ring - I am thinking more of ingots/coins). I would be very interested to see the proportion of people that hold Gold vs those who do not.

If you do have Gold investments would you mind stating roughly what percentage of your portfolio it represents? Obviously I am interested in everyone's answer here even if it is a 'no'.

Just for your interest my current Gold holdings are a little high at around 30% of my portfolio. I am looking to sell some Gold to re-balance the portfolio which I shall do in the next few months.

Thank you
    Last edited by levdon01; 12-09-2017 at 9:08 PM. Reason: revision
    *removed by forum team - please do not advertise in signatures*
Page 2
    • JohnRo
    • By JohnRo 13th Sep 17, 12:06 PM
    • 2,427 Posts
    • 2,180 Thanks
    JohnRo
    Never held lumps of the shiny stuff in my hands but I have owned in the past via a very small exposure to Julius Baer physical gold.

Also had exposure indirectly via Blackrock, firstly with Gold & General a long time ago, which did very well for me when sold, although that was far more about luck than judgement.

I now hold a very small stake in BRWM which itself has some limited exposure to gold miners. BRWM allocation is currently 1.98% of income portfolio around 0.5% of total investments, so that's about 0.1% gold mining exposure overall. Or in other words not really very much at all.

I have no intention to 'invest' in lumps of the shiny stuff now or in the future.
    Last edited by JohnRo; 13-09-2017 at 12:33 PM.
    'We don't need to be smarter than the rest; we need to be more disciplined than the rest.' - WB
    • Joe_Bloggs
    • By Joe_Bloggs 13th Sep 17, 12:38 PM
    • 4,410 Posts
    • 1,558 Thanks
    Joe_Bloggs
    With Gold you will lose X% on exchange to buy it. You will lose Y% to sell it. There may be costs to hold it.
    There are a very limited number of Gold traders. They get the X% + Y%.
    J_B.
    OFT work merger decisions 2012:- MSE too small to be worth financial consideration ?
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 13th Sep 17, 1:08 PM
    • 319 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    Talking of Gold. there is lovely like scam where you can but grains..........yep grains but not grams as an investment. Now do the math and have a little laugh.
    • A_T
    • By A_T 13th Sep 17, 2:07 PM
    • 183 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    A_T
    I have a small percentage in SGLN. Gold, like all investments, is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it at any given time.
    • Malthusian
    • By Malthusian 13th Sep 17, 2:58 PM
    • 2,884 Posts
    • 4,126 Thanks
    Malthusian
    Hey, if Linkedin is to be believed, he has a 2:2 in economics & maths so we could be looking at the next [insert celebrity economist] here
    Originally posted by bowlhead99
    Carol Vorderman got a third and it didn't do her career any harm. Ben Dyson of positivemoney.org flunked out as a second year ungraduate and still made a career out of not understanding fractional reserve banking. Whereas I have a 2:1 and spend all day on here.

If anything he is overqualified to be a celebrity economist.
    • atush
    • By atush 13th Sep 17, 3:10 PM
    • 16,244 Posts
    • 9,913 Thanks
    atush
    I hold gold, both thru my brokerage acct, and physical (some sovereigns given as gifts plus my jewelry).

But apart from gifts, I havent bought gold since ti went north of $700
    • Zanderman
    • By Zanderman 13th Sep 17, 3:20 PM
    • 1,232 Posts
    • 3,621 Thanks
    Zanderman
    Hey, if Linkedin is to be believed, he has a 2:2 in economics & maths so we could be looking at the next [insert celebrity economist] here
    Originally posted by bowlhead99
    Nowt wrong with a Desmond (I have one too). But I don't why anyone would want to mention it on LinkedIn. I'd only mention a score on there if it was a 1st!

And the OP may be on his way to being an celebrity economist (or aspring to be). He has a book to promote (mentioned in his sig) newly published via the DIY publisher CreateSpace (nowt wrong with that either, I have one of those too!) .

I'm not sure it's quite proper to promote that book on the forum though, even though done in a very low key way!
    [Edited to add: I see the book promo has now been removed!]
    Last edited by Zanderman; 14-09-2017 at 7:48 AM. Reason: adding last sentence
    • longleggedhair
    • By longleggedhair 13th Sep 17, 3:23 PM
    • 233 Posts
    • 328 Thanks
    longleggedhair
    I own two gold sovereigns, I imagine they account for less than 1% of my portfolio. No particular reason other than a small insurance against economic collapse.
    • markj113
    • By markj113 13th Sep 17, 4:32 PM
    • 106 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    markj113
    With Gold you will lose X% on exchange to buy it. You will lose Y% to sell it. There may be costs to hold it.
    There are a very limited number of Gold traders. They get the X% + Y%.
    J_B.
    Originally posted by Joe_Bloggs

Very easy to buy/sell gold and there are plenty of well known and trusted dealers you can use.

Spread can be as little as 3.5%

You can buy at 1.5% over spot and sell at 2% under spot. (to a dealer) although you can easily sell at spot or just over privately.
    • Bazofts Revenge
    • By Bazofts Revenge 16th Sep 17, 11:01 PM
    • 294 Posts
    • 149 Thanks
    Bazofts Revenge
    Only in terms of gold rings. Had an insurance payout which came in the form of vouchers for a highstreet jewellers only had a set time period to spend them so bought 3 solid gold wedding rings. bought basically as much weight in gold as I could get. Ironically looking on their website the smallest size has gained in 'retail' price (36%) where as the biggest by weight has barely moved at all (7.5%) over 5 years.
    Solar PV cost £5760 (15/03/13)
    FIT inc + Electricity saved £3500 (61% Paid back) Tax free
    Last update 30/06/17
    • captainreckless
    • By captainreckless 16th Sep 17, 11:14 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    captainreckless
    No gold. Did have some Blackrock Gold & General that I bought in the run up to the brexit vote. Sold out shortly after.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,797Posts Today

7,314Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin